2024-04-27, 14:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Model and Texture Theft (Knew it Would Happen Eventually)  (Read 27558 times)
Mart

« on: 2003-08-24, 04:38 »

http://www.custom-tfc.co.uk/spampit/viewth...ad.php?tid=2130

^ Some of them are modified, but most of them have just been ripped straight out of Generations Arena. Thought you might want to know.
Lilazzkicker

Beta Tester
Quad God

« Reply #1 on: 2003-08-24, 05:16 »

its in the admin section of that board.

Sorry, you are not permitted to view this forum... <-that error

Check the main page for files/weaps/textures.

Browse through OoPpEe's files.

http://www.custom-tfc.co.uk/index.php?sect...y=OoPpEe&page=9

Check Page 1, 5, 9, 10....

« Last Edit: 2003-08-24, 05:41 by Lilazzkicker » Logged
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #2 on: 2003-08-24, 06:50 »

Wow, man... everything from Generations to Q3F to Vanilla Q3 in general is on there.

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #3 on: 2003-08-24, 09:52 »

they also ripped things from ut2003:chaos (the golden skull ,not very old )
and things from halflife .

I think we should have to stop them .
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #4 on: 2003-08-24, 11:24 »

oh i think they want to be foxed...
o_O
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2003-08-24, 13:51 »

This is a typical case of a huge community of newbies (in EVERY aspect) that have no clue about .. well.. about basically anything. One dork posts something he's ripped, and the rest ooh's-and-aah's about how wonderful said dork is.
I never like it when stuff is ripped, but what REALLY smarts, is when someone rips one of your models and proceeds to make it look horrendously ugly! blegh.

Oh well, at least he'll never get a job in the industry ;]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #6 on: 2003-08-24, 18:55 »

I'd have to agree with tab, I had some old doom textures that someone "created" in q3 (increased resolution and added an effect layer). Now, ripping is one thing, out and out theft is another, but taking it one step further and making it look like prefabricated ASS gets on my nerves.

But yes, I'd have to say that he'll never get a real job in the industry.

Ripping only works for audio kids, remember that.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Arno

Cacodemon

« Reply #7 on: 2003-08-24, 22:37 »

Quote from: ~SpAwN~
Wow, man... everything from Generations to Q3F to Vanilla Q3 in general is on there.
Yeah, and tons of stuff from other games and various authors. Funny how Games Keeper and Tabun commented on some of the Wirehead models on that page, because really, I wouldn't know where to start. It's an endless list of ripped models. Somebody should point Id Software to that site, so it can be removed all at once.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2003-08-25, 00:22 »

Apparantly, they just ripped stuff shortly after i got done with the doom stuff, and several strogg weaps. The Capt. had some of the slipgate stuff too it seems, since those and said doom/strogg stuff is the only stuff that was ripped. Let's hope they won't find the items ;]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #9 on: 2003-08-25, 04:49 »

Hmm... well, I suppose it's nice to be noticed, but not very nice to have stuff used without permission.  At least we can rest assured they have no real talent.  I'm just wondering if I should flame their board or leave that pleasure to LeeMon. Sipgate - Evil

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #10 on: 2003-08-25, 10:07 »

lets do them both.  Sipgate - Evil
OoPpEe

Spectre

« Reply #11 on: 2003-08-25, 16:07 »

Removed all from me (double check, if there is any missed tell me the link and it will be removed).

Also about the first link, the mod moved it to the admin forum. I just deleted that also.
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #12 on: 2003-08-25, 16:57 »

GOOD , now learn to make models of your own , start texturing , ask tabun for help when you have questions AND YOU MIGHT JUST MAKE IT AS A MODELER  Slipgate - Wink
« Last Edit: 2003-08-25, 16:57 by games keeper » Logged
Dicion

Team Member
Makron

« Reply #13 on: 2003-08-25, 17:53 »

Quote from: games keeper
GOOD , now learn to make models of your own , start texturing , ask tabun for help when you have questions AND YOU MIGHT JUST MAKE IT AS A MODELER  Slipgate - Wink
now now GK.... dont go flying off the handle. No flaming is needed

He removed them when asked, no hassle involved Slipgate - Smile
Arno

Cacodemon

« Reply #14 on: 2003-08-25, 18:12 »

Quote from: OoPpEe
Removed all from me (double check, if there is any missed tell me the link and it will be removed).

Also about the first link, the mod moved it to the admin forum. I just deleted that also.
Nice of you to respond so quickly and thoroughly. I noticed this modelpack still contains Wirehead material. Among other models from Q3A and RTCW, which you can't really use either. Consider yourself lucky that Id Software never found your site.
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #15 on: 2003-08-25, 18:54 »

good work removing those, and fast. But taking media from one engine and moving it to another is a very big nono. You might want to remove that torch before Fox Interactive finds it as well. They're VERY protective of the Aliens and Predator franchise.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
uBeR

« Reply #16 on: 2003-08-25, 19:53 »

The stupidity and lack of common knowledge on this thread and forum is comedy gold. You people here have obviously not gone though any other part of the site, other than OoPpE's page. If you do so, by chance, you'll notice that our models, sprites, textures, etc., are legit and take a deal of talent to create. Now if you folk take the time to look up the definition of customize (I only ask you to do this because it is apparent here that you guys do not understand). Well, for the slow, it means to to make or to alter a specific thing. Hence the name Custom-TFC. We have various customized things, which vary from completely new objects, to altered TFC objects, to altered HL object, and in some cases altered model from other games. When objects are submitted to Custom-TFC that come from different games, we do not verify whether that user has obtained permission from its authors to do so. We assume the user has taken their responsibility and obtained the required permission.

And, as always, proper credit is given.
« Last Edit: 2003-08-25, 20:32 by uBeR » Logged
Dicion

Team Member
Makron

« Reply #17 on: 2003-08-25, 20:18 »

well i can pretty much ASSURE you, that at least 90% of the 'modified' stuff original owners would NOT give permission to do such a thing, because of legal reasons that basically come down to, If they did it once, they open themselves up for many future rippings...

I/We Can assure you, from FIRSTHAND KNOWLEDGE, that id, Fox, and Sierra do NOT take kindly to their models being used AT ALL, because they DO NOT give permission for such use... EVER......

Add-on:

You do not think that we would go about making OUR mod without knowing/following the copyright laws to the letter? Please. We have been in contact with the original content creators, the publishers, etc etc etc, as well as many legal experts... Trust me.. if theres ANY TEAM out there that knows about copyright laws... it's us.
« Last Edit: 2003-08-25, 20:23 by Dicion » Logged
uBeR

« Reply #18 on: 2003-08-25, 20:37 »

That id? Fox? Sierra?

You're fooling yourself.
LeeMon

Team Member
Shambler

« Reply #19 on: 2003-08-25, 20:41 »

Mr. UbEr, sir, I'd suggest you take a few laws courses on copyrights and intellectual property.

This site is little more than a demonstration of gross negligence towards the intellectual property of others.  The majority of "content" available at this site was not originally created by the website staff or the person who uploaded it.  It is overwhelmingly converted, hacked, and modified from other games, and other people's intellectual property.

Speak what  you will of talent, the skills required to edit someone else's work are miniscule to what it takes to create it in the first place.  And as a personal rule of etiquette, the greater percentage of the original work that remains at the end (and for these files, that is the overwhelming majority), the more credit should be given to the ORIGINAL author(s) and NOT the editor.

I do model and skin edits too.  Have for years.  But I carefully document where my source files come from, give full credit to those who created them (far more than I trumpet my own work), and most of all, NEVER DISTRIBUTE what I have created without EXPLICIT permission from the original author.

Now, you can attempt to take a moral high ground by claiming you don't check with the authors, that you assume they have permission.  I suggest you read up on the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, as your rights and responsibilities are slightly different than you percieve.  (I handle user-uploaded content similar to this on a daily basis as part of my job.)

With copyrighted material and intellectual property, if you intend to run your site the way you are (i.e. largely populated with copyright infringements) you MUST have a disclaimer to the following:  That you do not pre-screen files uploaded to the site, that you fully comply with the DMCA, and that you have a clearly-stated process to respond to copyright violations like this one.

It also helps to not tell a copyright holder that they're "stupid."

I won't even get into trademark infringement, as the differences in laws would most likely be confusing at this point.  Suffice it to say that you do NOT have any form of "I didn't know" protection for trademarks, and you must actively remove other people's tradmarks from your site, not passively wait for others to request them.

I don't take kindly to being insulted over a legitimate complaint.  We have had honest requests from teams wishing to use our content for authorized purposes, and since our project is not yet completed, we simply cannot allow this at this time.  We want people to look at these models and think, "Cool, WireHead made some nice Generations weapons," not, "Cool, WireHead borrowed those kickass weapons from Custom-TFC."

If you insist on deriding this for our complaints, I'll be more than happy to forward the link for your site to other copyright holders (id Software, Fox Interactive, etc.) who historically have not responded as politely as we have.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: