2024-03-19, 09:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Quake 5 Wishlist  (Read 72548 times)
J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« on: 2011-09-06, 23:51 »

http://quake.wikia.com/wiki/Quake_5#Game_Engine
I've added my part, anyone else want to join in?
The wiki isn't very popular,only deathstalker(admin)posts alot. Slipgate - Wink Slipgate - Thumbs up! Slipgate - Cool Doom - Thumbs Up!

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #1 on: 2011-09-07, 00:20 »

Purist that I am, there are some things I disagree with on that list.. mostly weapons, but also some other small bits. The pistol, chainsaw, machinegun, rifle, assault rifle, railgun, and BFG aren't very 'Quake' to me.

The chainsaw and BFG should stay with Doom.. as they are staples there. Likewise, the railgun should stay Q2. If such a weapon has to be included, perhaps it should be a prototype.. massive kickback, long reload, etc. Bullet-based weapons didn't exist in Quake either, instead favoring the metal flechette flinging nailguns. I guess, in theory, they could exist.. but, eh.

Bitterman should not appear in a game dealing with anything remotely Q1. The nameless 'Ranger' is a far superior character. If Bitterman does appear, he should get slugged by Ranger.. just to appease my own bias tastes. Slipgate - Smile
(yes, that entire paragraph was based entirely on my own bias feelings)

At least one level should be almost completely made of textures that are different shades of brown, either in parody or as a homage.. or maybe even a secret area referencing the first Quake.

I do agree with the comments about modern gameplay and regeneration though. Bring back health packs!

EDIT: Oh right.. I think I said this in a different thread talking about a Quake remake or some such. But.. I seriously hope they go with a name that isn't 'Quake 5'. The entire Quake "series" is chronologically confused enough without adding another to it.
« Last Edit: 2011-09-07, 00:23 by Thomas Mink » Logged

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #2 on: 2011-09-07, 00:25 »

Mink,you are a true Quake 1 purist. If you've read the B.F.T. part, it was my idea. I think quake 2 is a little better than quake 1,but eh...... i dont know.*cocks railgun* Slipgate - Ninja

(p.s why are you seen as hidden mink?It's obviously you.)

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #3 on: 2011-09-07, 00:45 »

The BFT2k wasn't bad. It's more raw than something technological like the BFG, so it could fit if it was implemented and designed properly.

As for Q2.. it had things I liked. Loved the chaingun and hyperblaster.. the railgun was an interesting twist at the time.. and Makron out of his suit reminded me of Shockwave from Transformers. Other than that, it was ok. Just preferred Q1. I'm not as hostile towards the game as my bits of sarcasm might imply. Slipgate - Wink

I appear as hidden because I set myself up to appear as being hidden. I think I am the only one on the board who does so, so yes.. it is obviously me. I wish it didn't list me as anything other than being just another guest on the list.. but.. oh well. Slipgate - Smile

J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #4 on: 2011-09-07, 00:52 »

Hmm.. I personally prefer a dim dark technological future as a setting,quake is alot like this,it just done medevalish...... every time i play quake 2 i think this could be our future Slipgate - Ninja Doom - Thumbs Up!
*puts railgun away*hehe....... Slipgate - Smirk////////1 Slipgate - Ninja

~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

Do These Fangs Make My Butt Look Big?

« Reply #5 on: 2011-09-07, 04:19 »

I think quake 2 is a little better than quake 1

I definitely liked Q2's multiplayer better. As for singleplayer, I'll take Q1's Lovecraftian themes over Q2's Borg-rejects any day! The mood, the architecture, the monsters... Q1 oozed personality. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but it seems like iD began stagnate a bit once John Romero left.

That said, I want Quake One. It should be a retelling of the original Quake. Same basic premise, but fleshed out so much more. Each episode and dimension should have completely unique textures and themes, with an appropriately huge boss that can only be brought down via a puzzle (like Cthon). There's plenty of inspiration to draw from if they want to keep cherry-picking stuff from the Cthulhu Mythos. Slipgate - Smile
J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #6 on: 2011-09-07, 04:29 »

Well I need to play quake 1 again. Slipgate - Smile Slipgate - Cool

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #7 on: 2011-09-07, 05:19 »

I definitely liked Q2's multiplayer better.

Probably just me, but I never got to experience Q2's multiplayer outside of a couple coop games. I played TF through most of Q2's lifespan and into part of Q3's. Guess that's not really Q1's true multiplayer though, as it's a mod.. *shrug*

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2011-09-07, 08:54 »

I added the following entries:

Characters:  The unknown Slipgate Ranger.

Story:  Revamp all the original monsters from the original Quake and some of the better ones from the Quake expansion packs and modernize them graphically, while staying true to the original theme. Don't do what Raven did with the Strogg from Q2 when they made Q4. As for the story, a retelling of the original Quake in the same way Doom 3 was a retelling of the original Doom. Begin the game with our hero on his way home to the barracks on a secret military installation where slipgate experiments are being performed, when all hell breaks loose. He fights his way to the slipgate, and when attempting to shut it down he gets pulled through and is swept to another dimension. He then must progress through one alien world after another, learning bits and pieces along the way in dream sequences about who is behind the invasion and why. Each dimension will be controlled by an Elder God through the use of a rune. By defeating the Elder God and claiming the rune, special powers will be unlocked, and a slipgate to the next dimension will open. Once all four runes are united the Rune Key will allow the hero to enter the final dimension where Quake itself lies. This dimension will be a nightmare world where reality itself is bent, and the line between dream and concrete existence is blurred. The hero will finally face Quake (not Shub this time around) and after defeating Quake, a twisted nightmare ending will be revealed as the hero is consumed and possessed by the black magic of the runes and becomes an Elder God himself, returning to and ruling over a conquered nightmare Earth, his journey having been orchestrated by an even greater power than Quake that planned all this from the very beginning.

Weapons and powerups:  Magical powerups based on the Q1 world, similar to the Ring of Shadows and Pentagram of Protection.
Alien/demonic weaponry that can be found at some point that has unusual effects.
Not really a weapon, but bring back monster in-fighting.
Morning star grappling hook for CTF play, along with runes.
Runes in single player unlock special abilities for the player, such as dark sight, weapon penetration, damage reduction, and ability to summon friendly monsters. Rune power would be time based and either regenerate, require kills to power, or some kind of item pickup like mana or special energy sources. If this sounds a bit like Wolfenstein's Thule medalion I was thinking along those lines.

Music:  Use a mix of classic Q1 ambience and event queued music.

Level Design:  Multiple paths. Let the players find their own way to the goals.
Very few, if any, scripted encounters.
Classic use of fluids - lava, slime, water, etc.
Secret areas with hidden goodies.

Game Engine:  Use of light and shadow to do what should have been done with Doom 3.
Soft shadows.
No 60FPS limit for single player on PC version.

Aesthetics:  Make the visuals span several worlds, from Egyptian to Gothic to high-tech, etc. The Slipgates will connect these worlds and some kind of very strange exotic world that Quake hails from.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #9 on: 2011-09-07, 16:50 »

In the spirit of conversation and wishful thinking, I present...

The pentagram here represents Shub-Niggurath, the "Black Goat of the Woods" and "She with a Thousand Young". She's being bound by the five runes surrounding her. The imagery works well with my plot ideas, I think.

PLOT
You are part of the newly reformed United States Army Rangers. Your squad is assigned to protect a highly classified military facility. Rumors have it that the installation is home to some of Uncle Sam's less humanitarian efforts. The truth of the matter however is that the entire facility is almost exclusively dedicated to the research and development of so-called fast travel.  Having seen promise in the private sector's progress regarding fast travel, the government contracted the UAC to perfect their wormhole based Slipgate technology. This budding technology is seen by some as a way to boost the world's slumping development after the disastrous Mars Incident and ensuing Earth Wars, which were themselves the result of untested fast travel.

While your squad's assignment is technically only to guard the facility, several Rangers volunteer to also be test subjects. While the Slipgates initially appear to work as planned--allowing instantaneous travel from one room to another--the side effects can't be ignored. Each and every Ranger that goes through the Slipgate comes back as a bloodthirsty lunatic. The team is forced to delay any further testing as they determine the exact effects prolonged exposure to the Slipgates will have.

All is quiet for a while. The Slipgates are hesitantly ignored. Instead the UAC scientists focus on the unfortunate Rangers that had been sent through. They're now kept in small cells on a lower level of the complex (Let me out! Make it stop! Kill me now!). One brutal riot has already broken out due to a guard's negligence. These men are no longer your comrades. Something in their brain has been rewired. They're near catatonic except for during combat. Then they're almost... happy.

Without forewarning, your are thrown from bed by the sounds of an alarm. You assume that another riot has erupted down in the brig. You quickly grab your gear and exit the barracks. What you find is horrifying. The corrupted Rangers have taken up arms against your squad, pushing them back and forcing small retreats. As the frenzied attack escalates, something changes. The lights dim and flicker. Suddenly a heavy thud is heard from behind, followed by a steady pounding at the end of the hallway. The door to one of the Slipgate chambers begins to bow and buckle outward. Your squad is caught up between the frenzied Rangers and whatever is forcing its way through that door. You stand your ground as the door falls. Behind it is a towering beast, covered in white fur.

Before hardly a single shot can be fired, the beast charges. You roll out of the way, taking cover in a side room as the beast decimates your squadron. You're quickly attacked by an axe-wielding creature. After dispatching of the creature, you try to return to help your squad but are blocked by the rubble that had fallen from the walls and ceilings as the beast charged through. It seems that your only option is to find a way to reactivate and  use the Slipgate at the end of the hallway...

The protagonist must now fight through a plethora of varied dimensions. He comes to learn that the Slipgate complex was invaded by an entity referenced only as QUAKE. To gain access to Quake's domain and put an end to the invasion, the Ranger must find the corresponding rune for each dimension. Once all of the runes are brought together, Quake will present himself.
« Last Edit: 2011-09-07, 17:21 by ~Va^^pyrA~ » Logged
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #10 on: 2011-09-07, 16:53 »

Prologue: The Doomed Dimension
This should quickly set the story up. The player could walk around the Slipgate complex, speaking with other Rangers. Rumors and gossip could be spread about the corrupted Rangers. Before long however, the alarms sound and the player is required to respond on a lower level of the complex. When he arrives he finds that the corrupted Rangers have broken free and are overrunning the guards. This will allow the player to fight alongside some of his fellow Rangers.

The player and his remaining comrades are pushed back by the aggressive Rangers. Soon they find themselves fighting down the last corridor of retreat, leading right up to one of the Slipgate chambers. As the player shoots it out with his teammates, the door to the Slipgate chamber falls, revealing a monster! The creature charges down the hallway, making quick work of all those in the way. The player managers to dodge the charging creature, rolling into a side room.

The player is quickly attacked by a lone Ranger wielding an axe. The player easily dispatches him, grabbing the axe for himself and returning to the hallway. Unfortunately for the rest of the team, the hallway collapsed in the wake of the Shambler. It would seem that the player's only option now is to utilize the Slipgate at the opposing end of the hallway.

Is the Slipgate powered on? Does the player need to use the ventilation system to access the controls elsewhere in the complex? Maybe the Slipgate is still calibrated for the UAC testing and only transports the player to the opposing Slipgate chamber, where it awaits new coordinates?

And what came through earlier?  Maybe it was actually Nyogtha? As the lowest ranked of Quake's generals, he was sent for initial reconnaissance, but instead decided to prove his skill and might by initiating the invasion. He has seemingly succeeded, as the Slipgate complex quickly fell to his squad. He can be found in the lower chambers, trying desperately to wrap his feeble mind around the Slipgate positioning data so that the full ranks of Quake's army might follow.

Boss: Nyogtha
The player makes his way through the Slipgate complex and faces off against Nyogtha. Ranger is no match for the brute's strength and magical abilities. Unfortunately for the satyr, Ranger has a much better grasp of Earth's technology and uses this against him. Nyogtha needs to be lured into the gravity field (or the gravity fields needs to be activated). This will suspends him long enough to nullify his teleportation ability, allowing the player to get a few hits in. Nyogtha drops a mysterious rune upon death.

After defeating Nyogtha, Ranger sets the coordinates on the Slipgate and passes through, intent to stop the invasion... even if that means killing all of Quake's generals, one by one.
« Last Edit: 2011-09-07, 17:05 by ~Va^^pyrA~ » Logged
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #11 on: 2011-09-07, 16:53 »

Beyond Space, Beyond Time
The player finds himself in limbo. Here all roads merge, beyond the veil of time and space. The Hell Mother, Shub-Niggurath, resides here. The surreal atmosphere is accompanied by an ancient temple, vaguely Egyptian in theme. The player descends into Shub-Nigguraths lair, where the confusingly organic mass waits, imprisoned within her own domain. The cavern is tangled with tentacles and ever-spawning creatures. The player approaches, unsure of what to make of the collection of eyes, teeth, and orifices.

All eyes are on the player as a sole tentacle is raised, a partially decayed cultist attached to the end. Shub-Niggurath speaks, using the corpse as a vessel. Shub-Niggurath tells the player of her imprisonment within her own domain. "Release me." "Die." Quake has bound her to anchoring stones throughout various dimensions and enslaved her, using her as little more than a birth machine to fill the ranks of his demonic army. The player must go forth and destroy the anchoring stones so that the magickal chains that run through into Shub-Niggurath's domain may be broken.

Each dimension houses its own anchoring stone. Furthermore, the General of each dimension has possession of a Rune. With the chains broken and her powers returned, Shub-Niggurath could use these Runes to open a portal to Quake's domain for you. She's also willing to provide information about each upcoming dimension and their respective General. Is the enemy of your enemy really your ally?
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #12 on: 2011-09-07, 16:54 »

Episode I: The Netherworld
This hellish world rejects you with lava pits and atmospheric hazards, as legions of foes surround you , testing the gut reaction that brought you here in the first place. Now you will bare witness to the true form of Quake's army as you make your way through the castle and to the House of Cthon.

Boss: Cthon
One of Quake's generals, this instantly recognizable boss is seemingly indestructible. He resides in a pool of lava at the center of the House of Cthon. His massive size allows him to hurl rocks made from cooled lava at the player. This attack does massive damage.

The only way to destroy Cthon and claim his rune is to lower the electrodes above and shock him several times.

Return to the Hell Mother's domain. The first chain is now broken and you are one Rune closer to Quake himself.
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #13 on: 2011-09-07, 16:56 »

Episode II: The Realm of Black Magick
The rancid stench of open graves fill your nostrils. Though you've just fought through what any sane human would consider Hell, the occult acolytes of this realm are still eager to best you. Destroy them all and navigate your way through the crypts and desecrated churches in search of Ithaqua's frozen throne.

Boss: Ithaqua
This horrifying giant possesses a roughly human shape, with corpse-like features. It seems to be covered in a layer of frost, with its claws perhaps even being made of ice. Monsters and textures occupying levels leading up to Ithaqua should be reskinned to appropriately reflect the harsh cold.

Perhaps one would need to use the Nailgun's heated ammo to truly injure Ithaqua? Break icicles off above, letting them fall and impale him?

Return to the Hell Mother's domain. The second chain is now broken and you are one Rune closer to Quake himself.
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #14 on: 2011-09-07, 16:59 »

Episode III: The Dreamlands
You enter a strange landscape of toppled coliseums and ruined aqueducts. The soft rainfall never seems to stop and you have a hard time telling the thunder from the rumbling beneath your feet. It seems as though you're to be harassed throughout the entirety of the Dreamlands. There's a very large, very territorial Dhole that's been tasked with guarding the anchoring stone. He plans to pop up during your journey in an attempt to fend you off... maybe the final confrontation won't go as planned?

Boss: Kuranès
This gigantic Dhole resides in the Dreamlands. While not a General per say, he is used as a guard for one of the anchoring stones, and does posses a Rune. He'll actually pop up throughout the episode to harass the player. You won't get to kill him until the end of the episode however.

Return to the Hell Mother's domain. The third chain is now broken and you are one Rune close to Quake himself.

~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #15 on: 2011-09-07, 17:01 »

Episode IV: The Doomed Dimension Redux
You find yourself back in familiar territory, and yet something is different. Your dimension has already begun to be assimilated, accumulating into a bizarre mesh of earthen technology and the otherworldly mysticism. No matter though, you're here for the final rune. Armagon, Quake's highest ranked general, has it. He's taken up residence here in the Slipgate complex and outfitted himself with a ton of Earth gear to ensure victory over the dimension.

Boss: Armagon
Perhaps the most violent of Quake's generals, Armagon forces the player to confront him in open combat. Armagon appears akin to the smaller Fiends, and is perhaps even of the same species. Since the invasion of Earth however, Armagon has taken to modifying himself with human technology. His legs are now bio-mechanical and his arms are equipped with Hyper Blasters and Rocket Launchers. Armagon actually looks quite a bit like the Makron (or more specifically, the Jorg). Armagon's fellow Generals believe his modification and use of lesser-technology to be disgraceful.

Armagon must be tricked into charged the player. His bio-mechanical legs give him incredible speed. He must be tricked to charge into specific objects, injuring him or perhaps even caving in the level on him? Maybe he could charge into an open Slipgate, which would in turn dump him out somewhere else in the universe... only to establish and utilize the Strogg later on in history!

Return to the Hell Mother's domain. The fourth chain is now broken and you are one Rune away from Quake himself.
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #16 on: 2011-09-07, 17:05 »

Episode V: The Elder City
Spiraling cyclopean architecture looms high overhead. Your mind fails to fathom the grandeur of the non-Euclidean geometry. What once must have been a magnificent civilization is now little more than eerie ruins. Still, something resides here. Something ancient... something evil. And it's very well protected. Do you have what it takes to clip Vorvadoss' byakhee wings?

Boss: Vorvadoss
This should be the Dragon/Byakhee. He'll need to guard a Rune/Anchoring Stone at the end of an Episode. Damage him enough to temporarily ground him, giving you the opportunity to attack his weak spot up close. Beware of all that fire and brimstone he's spewing though!

The final chain has been broken. You quickly return to Shub-Niggurath, now in possession of all five Runes. You can only hope that she will keep her end of the bargain. As you descend into the Hell Mother's domain however, something is amiss. The birthing activity of before has ceased and all is quiet. Without warning, the once decorative statues break loose from their bases and attack you. After a mighty battle, you approach Shub-Niggurath. As promised, she uses the magick of the combined Runes to create a hellish portal to Quake's personal domain. She too thirsts for vengeance, and directs her loyal offspring to the forefront of the battle. They'll keep Quake's minions largely distracted as you make your approach. After all, the demon is unlikely to suspect a single human amongst the war that now rages between these factions.
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #17 on: 2011-09-07, 17:08 »

Epilogue: Purgatorium
You've entered the metaphysical realm of Quake. Floating high in the void, you hop from platform to platform as dirt and rock crumbles off into the abyss. Gravity seems to have no place in the floating ruins and desecrated shrines. You come across few monsters. Most seem to be fighting amongst themselves however, as Shub-Niggurath seeks vengeance for her imprisonment.

Finally you come to Quake's chamber. Your journey is at an end and only one of you may leave alive. Will your collected arsenal be enough to stand toe-to-toe against Quake himself? Countless worlds have been conquered... will yours be next?

Boss: Quake
Battle the hulking creature on a floating chunk of land. Said chunk has destroyed shrines and fallen pillars built on top of it. Perhaps the player will (in FMV) make a charge at Quake, tackling him over the edge and down into the swirling void of space. Time will stop and both parties will be teleported out of the situation. The player will find himself in an oddly decorative tech-complex.

"Welcome to the Arena Eternal! Jump here to reach the armor."

Fade to credits.
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #18 on: 2011-09-07, 17:15 »

But wait, J3E125... there's more! You asked for it! I'm home from work, sick and bored for the day. Mwuhahahaha! Banging Head against Wall

Weapons:

Flashlight: While this may not be a weapon per say, it is always equipped and can be turned on or off at will. It has infinite ammo, though it does occasionally flicker.

Axe: This simple, one-handed weapon may just be the most reliable armament you have. Taken from a fallen creature, this medieval axe glows subtly with unknown glyphs along the blade. Perhaps the axe could simply work as a secondary  melee attack, regardless of what weapon is out?

I also like the idea of the Mjolnir. War hammer with a bladed backside, from Norse mythology and the Mission Pack. The electricity would consume the same energy as the Thunderbolt (and Hyper Blaster?) however, which might not be for the best. You can strike singular opponents as normal, or you can strike the ground to send out an array of lightning for multiple enemies.

Combat Shotgun:  This basic gun is standard issue for all Rangers at the Slipgate complex. It's pump action mechanism allows for little downtime between shots. It does take some time to reload however, as each shells needs to be inserted individually.

Boomstick: This double barrel shotgun may be slower to reload between shots, but the damage dealt just might be worth it. Both barrels fire simultaneously, requiring a quick breakdown and reload between every shot.

Nailgun: This odd weapon fires large, red-hot nails wherever its pointed, alternating between two barrels. The nails cause a few brief seconds of lasting damage due to extreme heat, caused by firing them with such force. The nails will visually stick into enemies, as well as walls, where they will cool in temperature and color. Certain enemies only take a fraction of the damage due to their tolerance to fire.

Crucifier: Four triangular barrels of fun. The Crucifier is, in some ways, an upgrade to the Nailgun. Whereas one quickly fires super-heated nails, the other meticulously launches large stakes before rolling over to the next loaded barrel. These large stakes don't fly very far and are adversely effected by gravity due to their weight. When hit, the stake will visibly impale and protrude from an enemy. In the case of a small or weaker enemy, the Crucifier can easy send them flying back, literally pinning them to walls. Certain enemies cannot be outright impaled due to their thicker skin or armor.

Rocket Launcher: For when a grenade positively, absolutely has to be there on time. The rocket launcher is one of the best devastating weapons in Quake. It moves quickly, deals an insane amount or direct damage, and comes packed with a bit of splash damage and knockback. Just make sure you're not standing too close when you fire. If given enough time to anticipate the incoming rocket, some enemies may try to dodge it. Shamblers take dramatically less damage from explosives, such as the Rocket Launcher.

Grenades: There will no longer be a dedicated Grenade Launcher. Grenades will instead be a passive weapon, thrown with the press of a hotkey, regardless of what weapon is equipped. The sound effect should be pretty similar to the original bounce sfx. Will it still use the same ammo as the Rocket Launcher?

Hyper Blaster: This weapon is very similar to those used by Enforcers. The laser canon will shoot a fast, brightly lit bolt of energy. A resulting hit can be quite damaging, while a miss may be even worse. The laser beams have a tendency to ricochet, and may do more harm than good if you're not careful. This weapon does require a few seconds to wind down after firing.

Thunderbolt: This mysterious, Yithian developed weapon is capable of firing a continuous stream of pure electricity. It can do incredible damage if kept on target. If the Thunderbolt is fired into the water it will instantly discharge, expending all of its ammo and killing anything in the water... including the player.

Vore Pod: This hovering, spiked ball floats above the palm of your hand. When thrown, it'll quickly go to wherever the player is aiming, even if the reticle is moved. In this way, the pod can be maneuvered and steered to a target where it explodes violently. Shamblers take dramatically less damage from explosives, such as the Vore Pod.
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #19 on: 2011-09-07, 17:19 »

MONSTERS
The player will come across a variety of different monsters in their journey. Some will be specific to certain locations. Others may be more prevalent throughout. Each enemy unit has specific attacks and behaviors. Some may even have special weaknesses or strengths.

Grunt: Once your proud comrades, these grunts have been driven insane by the esoteric sights beyond the Slipgate. They now lash out against everything they once defended. Though they are seemingly weak and uncoordinated, grunts typically travel in groups or are accompanied by guard dogs. Grunts can be seen carrying a variety of weapons, including the standard Shotgun, more powerful Boomstick, Nailgun, and even sometimes Rocket Launchers.

Dog: These guard dogs are always accompanied by at least one Grunt. They have no ranged attack, but are very fast, quite agile, and do a good deal of damage up close. Take them out quickly before they become a nuisance.

Dope Fish: This relatively weak enemy's only real attack is to take small bites out of swimming players. The fish appear zombie-like with blood flowing from their gills.

Enforcer:
These are little more than Grunts that now willing serve the Vadrigar. They've been outfitted with upgraded armor and Hyper Blasters. They can generally be found leading small groups of Grunts and Dogs. They make dangerous opponents even when engaged one-to-one.

Pyro: Essentially a beefed up Enforcer. These guys wear more brightly decorated outfits, completely covering their body. The gastank strapped to their back provides an explosive weak point if shot... otherwise it merely feeds the flamethrower in their hands. Pyros generally travel alone, as their weapon can easily cause friendly fire.

Eliminator:
Essentially a beefed up Enforcer. These guys appear to be somewhat mechanical... either cyborgs or outright Terminators. They carry around Plasmaguns, like Flynn Taggart!

Centroid: This scorpion-like robot attacks with two Nailguns, each taking the place of a claw. Centroids are often seen patrolling alone, though can on occasion be accompanied by Grunts.

Flyer: These small, flying machines can prove quite dangerous. They will generally ambush the player in small squadrons. They shoot lasers very similar to that of the Enforcers.

Scrag: This snake-like creature posses what appears to be a human torso. The Scrag will fly typically float around, spitting acid.

Ogre: this chainsaw wielding cannibal is fond of using grenades as a ranged attack. Perhaps we could upgrade these fellers to cluster grenades? I also want to see them with burlap sacks over their heads, serial killer style!

Knight: Little more than an armored zombie with a sword.  It is quick and can easily catch you off guard. Knights are loyal to the point that they will not attack each other or Death Knights.

Archer: Like the typical Knights, but with crossbows instead of swords.

Death Knight: This larger, more powerful version of the Knight has the added ability to shoot fireballs from its magical sword. Death Knights are loyal to the point that they will not attack each other or Knights.

Gug: The Gugs are a terrible race of giants. They have no language and only communicate through facial expressions. Gugs have no head, per say. Instead their face and sideways mouth reside in their chest. Gugs also possess two pairs of forearms and hand, splitting out at the elbow of each upper arm.

Zombie: These creatures are typically found in sewers, crypts, and dungeons. They have little in the way of attacks, save for tearing off and throwing pieces of themselves. Zombies will eventually fall to the ground if shot enough, though they will rise again unless gibbed. Typically it is best to use an explosive device to make sure that they don't come back.

Nightgaunt: These creature posses vaguely humanoid shape, but are thin, black, and faceless. Their skin is slick and rubbery. They sport a pair of inward-facing horns on their heads, and have clawed hands and a long barbed tail which is used to "tickle" their victims into submission. They can fly using a set of membranous wings. They'll often times swoop down and steal the player's currently equipped weapon.

Fiend: This monkey-like beast tends to use its front claws to attack. It is extremely fast and can jump great distance. Perhaps it would be interesting to give the Fiends a cloaking ability, like a Predator or Pinky Demon? Such an ability might suit the Nightgaunt better.

Overlord: These wraiths levitate about, looking to resurrect the corpses of fallen monsters. They are also capable of sending a line of fire along the ground to damage players.

Vore: The Vore appears as an anthropomorphic spider-like creature. It generates exploding, spiked pods that home in on the player.

Shambler: Even other monsters fear him, so expect a clobbering. He shrugs off explosions and has a tendency to teleport into locations. Good luck.

Temple Guard: Like any other typical monster, but made of stone. These creatures will likely appear as Knights, Death Knights, and Shamblers. They appear as statues until the player passes, them they come to life and attack as normal.  The usual monster meshes could be used, but new skins would need to be devised.

...and done! Slipgate - Tongue
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: