2017-03-31, 01:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Quake Champions  (Read 1473 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #20 on: 2016-07-01, 19:06 »

@Mink:  Same here.  I found after the first set of unlocks were coming out that when something happened to the server's connection to the master servers and everyone was limited to using only default weapons and no hats that the gameplay went from semi-crappy to rock solid.  I wanted a "vanilla mode" option so that the original gameplay that sold me on TF2 would be possible again, but instead it went from one set of alternate weapons per class to insane hats, loadouts (hat + all weapons in a set = bigger bonus), and so many unlocks that it went from a streamlined, easy to learn but hard to master teamplay game with great visuals and great visual contrast (important in teamplay) to a mish-mash of God-knows-what and everyone tying up team spots standing around in the base trading hats instead of actually being part of the team that's trying to play the game.  Real nice when you have two idiots standing in the base and 3 people are trying to fend off a 5 player team that actually knows what it's doing.  We never got a vanilla mode because Valve was making too much money selling virtual items to non-virtual idiots, so I just deleted 100% of my inventory, wrote a negative review, and uninstalled the game in protest.  To date, no official support for a vanilla mode exists that I'm aware of.  If that changes I'll reinstall, but after this amount of time I'd expect to see Half-Life (episode)3 first.  Oh well, at least I can play Duke Nukem...  Slipgate - Disappointed

As for the community itself... the usual responses I got from other players regarding wanting a vanilla mode consisted of "that would split the community and it would be bad" (um, the community already split when the people wanting old-style play got sick of the unlocks and started leaving because the devs gave us the digital finger), or "there's vanilla servers" (without pointing any out, so where were these mythical servers, exactly?), or some other justification about how "at least Valve is supporting the game by balancing it and updating it" (odd since it became more unbalanced with each update), or the typical "stop whining" (but we can't give you a valid reason not to be unhappy) snobbery.  I even had someone ask me for my inventory items after I posted my review stating that I was deliberately deleting them!

So yeah... anyways, let's hope Quake Champions doesn't have any fugly annoying visual stuff like that.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-3R2G-JRKV
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #21 on: 2016-07-25, 21:41 »

New interview with Tim at Polygon:

http://www.polygon.com/2016/7/25/1227308...s-on-quake-champions-playable-characters

Unfortunately it doesn't really tell us anything new beyond officially confirming all the character details people already gathered from the trailer (Ranger gets a translocator, Nyx gets a blink, and Scale Bearer gets a charge).

One detail I hadn't fully realized is that Ranger's translocator is supposed to be the spiked sphere from the Shubb boss battle...which is weird, since it doesn't even have spikes on it or any other resemblance to said spiked sphere. Still, I guess the basic idea of the slipgate warrior possessing a portable slipgate for a signature weapon follows soundly enough.
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #22 on: 2016-08-05, 00:19 »

There's a new trailer up with more gameplay footage:

Quakecon 2016 Debut Trailer

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #23 on: 2016-08-05, 00:33 »

Well... I like what I see so far!  I think when this hits Doom's multiplayer will lose a LOT of players.

Gnam

Makron

« Reply #24 on: 2016-08-09, 15:33 »

A total of 4 new characters were explained at Quakecon:

https://youtu.be/gL1DLw46W30

Anarki has higher base movement speed at the cost of health and armor.

Sorlag spits acid for area denial (sounds like UT's biorifle).

Galena drops "totems" that heal herself and teammates.

Clutch is a big slow tank robot with some kind of shield.

So much of the negative reaction from fans seems SO short-sighted and premature. So much parroting of "classes are the opposite of Quake" is going on, yet arguably Generations Arena is the most authentic iteration of an id shooter there is, and is distinctly class-based.

In fact, if Champions had started out by introducing Wrack, Grunt, and Visor as based entirely around QW, Q2, and Q3 movement physics in the way Generations does, I feel it would have been much better received by fans, as the first impression would be "classes are making Quake more authentic" as opposed to "classes are making Quake more like Overwatch". I'm not going to hold my breath for QC to be too much like Generations, but I do feel it would have gone over better with the community to at least start out that way.

Speaking of Doom 2016 multiplayer, I wonder if Champions will include Doomslayer with double jump as his main ability. He would still have to run faster than in Doom 4, or he'd get slaughtered.

P.S. there is some leaked gameplay footage on youtube if you search. The allegations that Champsions would not have strafejumping were definitely flat-out wrong.
« Last Edit: 2016-08-09, 15:40 by Gnam » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #25 on: 2016-08-09, 16:29 »

There's always going to be haters that want things exactly one way and if it's not exactly what they feel it should be they'll never be happy with it.  It's a small percentage, and devs know they have to ignore them.  If people want an authentic Quakeworld experience... um, go play Quakeworld.  It's that simple.  Same with Doom, or Q3A, or anything someone expects to be 100% this or that.  Nothing can ever be 100% to the original except the original.  You can get close, you can reimagine, you can update sounds and visuals and environments and bring all the physics in, etc, but there's always going to be at least subtle differences.  With something as major as Champions, it's going to have departures that some people will love and others won't.  Doom 4 got a lot of hate like this before release, and it turned out pretty good.  People need to wait and see and decide after they get to take it for a test drive.  Slipgate - Ninja

Gnam

Makron

« Reply #26 on: 2017-03-20, 23:50 »

You can sign up for beta on the official QC site. There's some new trailers out, and some footage floating around from PAX. The official site now provides art, data, and a demo video for most weapons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHrq31NWBCg

Some new tidbits of info:

1) There are alternate weapon skins based on prior Quake games. The Q1 RL and Q2 RG have been seen in addition to the default QC variants.

2) For a starter weapon, you can choose either a single barrel shotgun, "regular" nailgun, or machinegun

3) The Super Nailgun replaces the Plasma Gun. It does 150 dps instead of 200 dps, and possibly has a faster projectile speed. The projectiles are matte gray like Q1, which combined with the high speed and realistic lighting makes them almost impossible to see...I hope this changes.

4) The "super" alternative to the starter MG is the HMG from QL instead of the Chaingun (ugh).

5) The SSG does 120 total damage instead of 100 or 110 of QL and Q3.

6) Item timers are making a return from QL, at least on default server settings

7) Trailers for individual characters will be released as follows:

Nyx - out now
Scalebearer - out now
Anarki - 3/29
Clutch - 4/12
Galena - 4/19
Ranger - 5/3
Visor - 5/10
Sorlag - 5/24

Slash was seen in-game at PAX even though she hasn't been officially announced yet.
« Last Edit: 2017-03-21, 00:36 by Gnam » Logged
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Icon of Sin

« Reply #27 on: 2017-03-23, 15:45 »

THE QUAD IS UT-DAMAGE-AMP-PURPLE..

That is all.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #28 on: 2017-03-24, 02:59 »

I'm not too fond of the fact that item spawns are all glowy and have timer rings.  From the PAX footage I saw, item spawns (such as the Quad) are visible through walls... WTF?  Those are two things I wasn't too thrilled over.  There better be options to turn off the dayglow CPMA-ish brightskin crap or I'm going to hate it.

The champions themselves don't just have some special ability, they have varying max health and armor stats.  For example, Galena had very low armor max - I think 50, and health was 100, whereas Sorlag had 150/150.  You could go over these, but the armor and health would count down to them.  That doesn't bother me too much, but I could see it being a balance issue where the "tank" classes... er, "champions" become unstoppable - unless movement speed is a factor.  Hard to tell from the footage so far.

I'm not sure what this is supposed to bring to the table over Q3A other than updated graphics.  So far I don't see anything groundbreaking, but it is early.  I'll reserve additional judgment until I can get my stupid Bethesda account to actually work and try this thing out...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: