2024-03-28, 09:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Quake Champions  (Read 33305 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #60 on: 2017-10-23, 05:18 »

OK, so I just read THIS THREAD on the Quake Champions discussion page.  This is inexcusable, and I posted this so everyone can know that yes, that's ME posting it:

OK, after watching this video I am SERIOUSLY mad.

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO REASON WHY GAME LOGIC MUST BE LOCKED TO RENDER FRAMES ON THE CLIENT.

I don't go bragging on myself, but I'm a ♥♥♥♥ing AMATEUR HOBBIEST MODDER and I can code better than this! Another coder and myself FIXED the FPS-dependent movement physics in Q3 with a simple TABLE so that 125 FPS movement is possible from 20FPS up to whatever. How ♥♥♥♥ing hard is it to code a FIXED logical framerate and visually interpolate and extrapolate the time when EVERY QUAKE GAME IN THE PAST ALREADY DOES THIS? Someone's getting PAID to do what I and probably every other Quake modder can do better FOR FREE. It's a God-damned INSULT to see an Id title with this kind of ♥♥♥♥♥♥ behavior. I've excused a lot for it being Early Access, but this should have been fixed during ALPHA. There's NO excuse for this.

I call a challenge here. Id, Bethesda, if you read these forums, message me and you can pay me HALF of what these chimps are making to fix this. I'm dead serious. Marty, Tim... www.wireheadstudios.org. Reg there and talk to me. We've touched with Todd H. in the past to keep us straight with you on legal stuff for our project. You know Lee'Mon. Quake deserves better than this, dammit!

So there it is.  I'm throwing down the gauntlet to Id to get this fixed.  If their current batch of programmers can't fix something this basic I'm willing to step up to the plate and do it myself to save the Quake reputation.  I've never claimed to be an expert programmer but if these guys are seriously this bad then Champions will be the title to sink the Quake name forever, and that just can't be allowed to happen.  Banging Head against Wall

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

Do These Fangs Make My Butt Look Big?

« Reply #61 on: 2017-10-24, 22:36 »

Wow. Slipgate - Disappointed

Phoenix, I would love to see them take you up on your offer! Really though, I feel as if Generations is already what Champions should be. It has enough class diversity to make things interesting, without the "lulz random" effect of one-shot abilities and vastly disparate armor/health stacks. Champions is certainly nicer to look at, but it also feels somewhat cluttered at times because of it.

I'm curious how an issue like this even makes it past initial planning. It is my understanding that Quake Champions isn't using Id Tech at all. That's why we can have something like the new Doom run so flawlessly, while Quake hits roadblock after roadblock on seemingly mundane issues.

It's apparent that Quake isn't a priority for Bethesda in any way, shape, or form. If it were, it would have one of their best teams on it instead of hiring it out to some no-name developer like Saber. It would be using a proven internally developed engine instead of the junk code that they settled on.

Instead of seeing meaningful design and solid coding, we get a nickle-and-dime cosmetics shop. They're selling people hats in place of solid gameplay. It's a real shame too, because the potential for a legitimately fun game is there.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #62 on: 2017-10-25, 05:36 »

Someone posted on the thread that Bethesda is aware of the problem now and is working on fixing it.  That gives me some hope that at least someone's doing something right over there in realizing how serious this one is.

I hear what you're saying on Gen, and it's definitely heartening to me.  I would have loved it if Id decided to do their own version of a Generations-style game using Id Tech 6, though it might have shut us down or at least made Gen Arena kind of irrelevant.  Not that we have the biggest fan base anyway at this point, but still...

I may not really end up playing Champions seriously, but I just don't want to see a Quake title fail to the point of us losing any future Quake games.  We may not ever get a proper Quake 1 sequel, but If Champions bombs it guarantees we won't see that or anything else down the line.  It's definitely not fair to the Quake fans.  That's my biggest concern here.  With most of Id's old guard no longer there and with Bethesda having ownership there's no telling where their focus will be.  It reminds me of when Origin Systems sold to Electronic Arts.  Eventually Origin was shut down, and we lost Wing Commander, Ultima, and a bunch of other series.  I'm not looking for a repeat of that with Quake, Doom, and Wolfenstein.  It just can't be allowed to happen.  I don't want to see Id shuttered because some exec that knows nothing about games decides to make a business decision and completely screws the fans.

~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

Do These Fangs Make My Butt Look Big?

« Reply #63 on: 2017-10-25, 21:55 »

On the bright side, Wolfenstein and Doom both seem to be doing quite well. I think that the powers that be may simply have a hard time seeing where Quake fits in. They have these two other franchises that bring a very strong singleplayer element. To them, Quake is about multiplayer and little else. I think that the original Quake 1 universe is super compelling, but it's obvious that Id didn't favor it, as we instead saw three different Strogg themed games (not that that's bad either!).

Really, they could do a LOT to explore the Quake universe even within the confines of a multiplayer title. Heck, if Champions does one thing right, it's that it drips with atmosphere. It strikes a great balance in presented the tone of Quake 1. If they wanted to really explore that, they could make the "rune challenges" their own mini levels, like they were in Doom 2016. Each character could have a set of several challenges that not only introduces you to their abilities, but also explores the boundaries of the franchise.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #64 on: 2017-11-10, 09:25 »

I just don't seem to be very good with Champions.  I had been doing well with Nyx for a while, but after the last update it feels like I'm slogging through mud and aiming is downright difficult.  I've seen some strange behavior, like one player whose movement was all jittery, and projectiles from the nailgun was passing through him.  As for aiming... it seems like the mouse movement is coarse, even with smoothing turned on.  I can peg someone across the map with the rail in Q3, but in Champions?  I'm lucky if I can hit someone down a hallway.  I feel like the only way I'm getting kills right now is going berserk as Doomguy.  I'm really wanting to like this game, but for some reason I just can't get any good at it, whereas in Q2 or Q3 I may be rusty but I can hold my own just fine.  Slipgate - Surprised

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: