2024-03-28, 19:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Doom Eternal  (Read 24719 times)
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #60 on: 2020-05-15, 23:48 »

Doom Eternal's first major update includes Denuvo Anti-Cheat, which installs and uses a Ring 0 / kernal-level driver to operate. Maybe I won't be trying to push through the game any time in the near future, if ever, after all.

PC Gamer story

Ars Technica story

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #61 on: 2020-05-16, 06:40 »

There's been a lot of discussion on this, and a lot of it is of questionable merit.  I won't attack or defend Denuvo as there's already enough of that going on, especially in the Steam forums, but a few facts just to help clarify the situation a bit:

Denuvo Anti-Cheat is not running at any more heightened a privilege than any other program that requires a permissions request from the UAC (User Account Control, not Union Aerospace Corporation).

Several other anti-cheats such as Punkbuster run at the same level, so if you've had Q3A, RTCW, and several other games you've already been running this level of access on an anti-cheat.

The trust level for the program is equal to the trust level granted to system drivers and a number of other programs.  If you look at your task manager any process that has a user name of "SYSTEM" has Kernel mode access, along with any Service that says Log On As "Local System".

As one fellow I know also pointed out, any user-mode level program can do a full memory dump, so it's not like the Anti-Cheat is really getting more access to the system than any other program.

Just something to consider before giving up on the game.  I've been playing it since the update without encountering any problems on Windows 7.  Some people have had problems starting the program, but is that because of Denuvo, or some other underlying problem?  There's not enough hard data to go on.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #62 on: 2020-05-16, 07:25 »

I'm not sure what was changed on the console end of things but whatever id did broke match-making on Xbox One.  (Kind of hard to complete the new event when 3 of the 8 challenges are multiplayer-related.)  In other news, the weapon mastery milestones are still broken and now I can't load into the Ripatorium either.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #63 on: 2020-05-16, 10:39 »

Well that sucks.  How did they break the Ripatorium?

Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #64 on: 2020-05-20, 22:43 »

User feedback has led Id to the decision to remove Denuvo Anti-Cheat in PC-only patch 1.1 and to reconsider their approach to anticheat integration, writes executive producer Marty Stratton on Reddit.

The patch will also include some bug fixes, and they hope to roll it out within a week.

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #65 on: 2020-05-22, 19:03 »

I'm glad id reconsidered.  I also appreciate the candid response on Reddit.  I can understand why id wanted an anti-cheat solution in place for the planned Invasion mode but I don't feel like Denuvo was the right choice.

On a slightly different note, matchmaking is working again on Xbox One.  Also, the new Biker Mullet Slayer player skin is now live.  (But dear Khan, did they have to include the skin with the US flag on it?  I live in Alabama, people.  I see that **** enough, already! Slipgate - Laugh)
« Last Edit: 2020-05-22, 19:15 by Kain-Xavier » Logged

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #66 on: 2020-05-23, 05:01 »

'Cause he comes from Alabama with a shotgun on his knee?  Doom - Huh?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: