2024-04-27, 16:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Which classes? (what classes do y'all use?)  (Read 26458 times)
Vadertime

CyberDemon

« Reply #60 on: 2003-11-12, 22:10 »

I recently tried to join one of your games, but my computer said getting info for 1 servers and just sat there. The one server never popped up. Can you tell me why? Sometimes I'm tempted to put an 8mm slug through my Emachines clunker(and sometimes my own head). Earth class is supposed to include biker models right? I always pop up as the default "Eastwood" model. I guess that's fixed for the next version too isn't it?
Woolie Wool

Tank Commander

« Reply #61 on: 2003-11-19, 22:24 »

I noticed some issues with a few of your weapons.

-In Doom, if I'm not mistaken, rockets, plasma, and BFG glowy death balls travel at the same speed.

-The Doom shotgun fires seven pellets that do equivalent damage to pistol shots. The SSG fires 20 pellets a pop.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #62 on: 2003-11-19, 22:30 »

The plasma and BFG bolts are a LOT faster than the rockets in doom.

And we had to change the SSG a bit. In .99a it was the deathcannon. You'd probably die even if half the pellets hit you.

Biggest difference between Doom and Generations is that Doom had random damage values for a lot of its weapons. If you caught the extreme low end values, you could actually survive a direct BFG blast. We simply used the average damage in Gen.
Woolie Wool

Tank Commander

« Reply #63 on: 2003-11-19, 22:40 »

Then something's wrong because you only sustain 100 damage in Doom on average if half the pellets hit. If you have armor you should survive 10 pellets and a tanked Doomer can survive a point blank blast with health and armor to spare.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #64 on: 2003-11-19, 22:52 »

Average damage on the SSG in the original doom is 225. That requires greater than 100/100 to survive, which is excessive. Half of 225 is 112.5, which would still kill you unarmored.

The SSG in gen does 176 now if all the pellets hit. That's still a LOT of damage, especially since shotguns are so common.
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #65 on: 2003-11-20, 00:16 »

yeah.. the .99a doom ssg was a deathcannon *nostalgia*

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #66 on: 2003-11-20, 02:44 »

The rocket, plasma, and BFG projectile speeds in .99c are 100% accurate to Doom, and I have the Doom source code to back it up.  As for damage...  We could implement random damages easily, but a LOT of players wouldn't like that.  It may make it as a server-side option later, who knows.  As far as nerfing the Combat Shotty, it was needed.  Even I get a bit miffed when I get nothing but point-blank SSG's to the face in a game.  Considering how common the shotgun is in Quake 3 you basically would end up with an instagib cannon on every map for only one class - the fastest one at that.  With random damage I could see going up that high, but not a fixed damage value.  The Combat Shotgun did 20 * 5, 10, or 15 points.  That's as low as 100 and as high as 300.  You read that right, 300 freaking points of damage.  We took roughly 60% of the max damage value for the gun and went with that.  Same as the single shotgun, but it's around 70%.  It did 7 pellets * 5, 10, or 15 points.  That's as low as 35 and as high as 105.  Yes, the single shotgun in Doom could feasibly kill you with one blast.  The SSG could kill you with 200 health and 100 blue armor if it did the maximum damage.

As for taking "half the pellets" in Doom and living, that depends on your Deathmatch skill setting.  I've played enough ZDaemon servers that had nothing but Dwango5map01 loaded to know what that !@#!@# super shotgun can do with 1/2 the pellets.  Believe me, you will NOT live through it.  This was one of those things that had to be done.  I'm a hardcore Doom fan, and even I don't regret the change.
« Last Edit: 2003-11-20, 02:45 by Phoenix » Logged

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #67 on: 2003-11-20, 16:41 »

As for random damage values... I like the idea, but random number generators have shown a rather vehement dislike of Angst :unsure:
And as such, although I like the idea of Doom's ssg maxing out at 300 again, I have the odd feeling I'll have a number of shots that do roughly 75 point blank. So it's questionable. However, there are a number of items in .99d that I'm liking, but you'll all have to wait to see them. Sipgate - Evil
« Last Edit: 2003-11-20, 16:42 by Angst » Logged

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: