2024-04-28, 07:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Which classes? (what classes do y'all use?)  (Read 26478 times)
Rubilacxe

Shambler

« on: 2003-10-10, 16:51 »

Just a little random question for everyone.  Which class(es) do you use the most or only use?

As for me, I like them all, but I've always loved Q2 deathmatch.  I played it all the time when Q2 was in its prime.  I'm also a huge Doom fanatic. So Doom and Strogg are on top of my list.  Pretty good with them.

Earth and Arena are fun to use at times as well and I can get a few frags using them.  

I completely suck with Slipgate.  I do love Q1, but I never was good at it for some reason haha.  But I know the power it holds hehe.  I just can't harness it well.

Anyways, so yeah.  How about y'all?

Having a Beer

-JL
Dicion

Team Member
Makron

« Reply #1 on: 2003-10-10, 16:56 »

Slipgate... All the way...
If i cant have slipgate, then probably quake2 as a nice second... after that, then the other 3...

But im a slipgate whore... everyone knows that...
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #2 on: 2003-10-10, 17:44 »

It really depends on the map. On iksdm3, I prefer Arena/Strogg over all others. On Eternal Arenas, Doom all the way. On Deva Station, I like to play Earth. Any map which has lotsa jump pads & ramps, I have the most fun with Slipgate =]

I'd say my favorite to play is Doom because he can be a little reckless and it'll help him =]
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2003-10-10, 18:55 »

Earth is my overall favorite class, but he sucks against slipgaters. If there's a lot of slippy's around, I tend to go doom.  Slipgate - Wink
l4mby

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #4 on: 2003-10-10, 20:04 »

DOOOOOM ! I love me chainsaw. Slipgate - Smile
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #5 on: 2003-10-10, 20:47 »

well i use all classes, but doom and slipgate is the classes i like most.
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #6 on: 2003-10-10, 22:52 »

Weird,  I thought most ppl would use one of the characters that sport a railgun or earth model that has a sniper.  I like the game for the nostalgia it brings, I really could care less wether win or loose, just try to do the best I can with either Doom or slipgate.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2003-10-11, 01:40 »

I use earth for the mortar and the gats, not for the sniper rifle Slipgate - Wink
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #8 on: 2003-10-11, 03:17 »

I use Slipgate and Earth only... wait, that's a lie, I do use Gladiator once in an extremely rare while.

I'm the best with Slipgate on every map, and also have the most fun with that class... but Earth has gatling guns, a mortar, and a napalm launcher... I can't help but use that class once in a while. Slipgate - Smile

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #9 on: 2003-10-11, 06:45 »

Hail  Slipgaters!

Though I do tend to use the Strogg Troppers as well, mostly because I enjoy the railgun
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #10 on: 2003-10-11, 14:33 »

why does this topic even excist? like you didnt know everybody was a bunch of slipgate whores.
« Last Edit: 2003-10-11, 14:34 by Woodsman » Logged
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #11 on: 2003-10-11, 17:01 »

/me Strogg-rails Woodsman before he can reach the Red Armor

Slipgate - Laugh
« Last Edit: 2003-10-11, 17:01 by Tekhead » Logged
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #12 on: 2003-10-11, 23:51 »

doom - strogg - slipgate - earth - arena

in that order, slippy comes out faster depending on the number of slippy-whores

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #13 on: 2003-10-12, 02:49 »

Depends on my mood, and who else is on the map as what class.  Lately here's my lineup:

Strogg whenever I can, mostly because it's satisfying to beat on people with the "weakest" class. Sipgate - Evil

I might start out with Earth to get things going.  I love the rifle, and if there's something I can set on fire, well... Slipgate - Laugh

If the action is getting intense I'll go for the Doomer.  He's fast, he does a boatload of damage, and it's my best class.  I've been shying away from Doom for most matches whenever possible in order to give the other classes a fair shake and get some variety in my gameplay.  Doom is still my favorite and best of all 5 classes.

Slipgate and Arena I almost never use.  I might go Skippy once in a while, but I'm no good with the Slipgaters.  Arena Gladiators I don't care for.  I've never liked the Quake 3 weapons and I probably never will.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Parapsyche

Spectre

« Reply #14 on: 2003-10-12, 03:43 »

Definitely the Doom Marine.

Perhaps the best reason (for me) to use Doom is cause of the nostalgia factor...I still play Doom religiously, and as a result I feel right at home with the weapons and his physics (even his jumping feels like it WOULD feel if you could jump in Doom...good job on that).  The SSG is still just as satisfying as it was in Doom 2, and the Plasma Rifle is still brilliant.  I can sometimes kick serious ass with Doom.  I don't stand a chance against Slipgaters, though, even though Doom is by far the best class I've got.

After that, Strogg.  The weapon diversity of Quake 2 is one of the reasons why it was so cool.  This amazing weaponry really makes Strogg stand out in Generations, from the pinpoint, nearly one-hit-kill Railgun to the constant hail of lead from the flesh-shredding Chaingun.  His strafe jumping also helps a lot, and he seems to be able to take more of a beating than the other classes.

Earth is alright...I like that class...just a bit too slow for me, though.

Slipgate I suck with.

And Gladiator I never play as, cause I feel that playing as a standard Q3 character is not the reason Gen was created.
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #15 on: 2003-10-12, 12:45 »

Parapsyche  you still play DOOM religiously? :-)  Me too,  I'm  sure most ppl would know this, but just in case you didn't, with the new advances you can play DOOM in high resolution such as in 1280 x 960 with beautiful graphics and no pixelation, and the DOOM character DOES look up and down and jump (although not much like in Q3).  It's called JDOOM, and I just finished going through ALL of DOOMI, DOOM II and some of the nightmare levels again after many many years, in all of its glory. BTW they have jhexen and Jheretic too, so I did Hexen (fun game, I had forgotten) too and I'm gonna do heretic soon.
http://www.doomsdayhq.com/download_util.php

Do I detect a little bit of animosity to the slipgate character?,  I have seen some ppl refer to them as slipgate whores :-)  I haven't been in any servers with real ppl yet so I dunno what
that's about.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #16 on: 2003-10-12, 20:13 »

Me Strogg. Ugh.

Seriously, the amount of slippyness in the gen player community annoys me - I'm sure the air-control & only having two weapons that account for anything has it's nostalgia-value, but it's never struck me as the kind of thing you'd want to restrict yourself to. Oh well, I usually just play on random, so it pops by every now and then ;]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Parapsyche

Spectre

« Reply #17 on: 2003-10-13, 03:47 »

lol, yeah, I've downloaded ZDoom AND JDoom.

JDoom certainly kicks ass...the models for the weapons and enemies are top notch, considering they were all made from scratch, with only the sprites to guide them.  The lens flares and stuff really make it cool, and the extra depth provided by the 3D models really immerses you into the world of Doom.

I use ZDoom whenever I want some extra features, but don't wanna wait for the loading, lol.

Oh, by the way, for all you JDoom users, there's a Doom TC that was recently created called "Doom 64: The Absolution".  It's a perfect recreation of Doom 64, but with some levels replaced, and some new levels added (I think there are 34 in all).  You can access the 3 "Fun" levels, if you're keen on your Doom secret-finding skills.  He even incorporated new enemies (Nightmare Cacodemon, Nightmare Specter), the Nightmare Imp, the Motherdemon, and the Doom 64 exclusive weapon called the Unmaker (or Flesh Rifle).  New traps and stuff are in, too.

http://www.doom2.net/~elbryan/

Go there to download it...it's well worth it, and definitely is a good challenge for Doomers.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #18 on: 2003-10-13, 09:06 »

I think the appeal of Slipgate is that Quakeworld was the first online DM for a lot of people and still has a strong following.  That and the rocket launcher fires a fast-flying, high-concussion rocket that does a boatload of damage and knocks people all around.  Skippy is pretty much a one-gun wonder though.  You either rocket or shaft or rocket THEN shaft.  Grenades are VERY effective but seem to be under-used.

I don't buy into the "Slipgate is unstoppable" mantra.  Slipgate's other weapons are a tad wimpy when compared to their counterparts across the classes.  Take away that rocket launcher and he doesn't stand much of a chance.  The other classes all have better intermediate weapons.  If Skippy gets a healthy dose of red armor and rockets he's very hard to deal with, but a freshly-respawned Slipgater is a free frag if you're tanked up as another class or at least have a shotgun-class weapon or better.  It really depends on the map, who's playing, and what weapons are available.  A long open map and any of the other classes can rail, snipe, or chaingun-snipe Skippy from a distance.  Up close and in tight it's anyone's guess.  There are ways.  Just remember to stay OUT of the water on Q2DM2!!!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #19 on: 2003-10-13, 18:43 »

well yes, slipgate - rl == dead slipgate.. but exactly how many level's don't HAVE a rocket launcher, or red armor? Slipgate - Tongue

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: