2024-04-24, 04:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Earth-centric level (A map I've started working on.)  (Read 23603 times)
WolfWings

Pinky

« on: 2004-07-17, 11:43 »

Update Jul-26/2004: Newest version has two possible approaches for the 'outbuildings' in the courtyard. I'd like folks opinions on which would be better, rubble, or intact. Either can be made out of wood or stone, so I built both possibilities regarding that choice as well. Opinions? =^.^=

And yes, the snowdrifts around the buildings don't clip movement or get marked by weapons. The former is intended, the latter I'm investigating a solution for. And yes, both snowdrifts are identical, I didn't bother building two seperate drift-banks until I've settled on which building style to use.

Level I'm working on. Rough layout is a 2:3 rectangular arena, with a high wall that can be walked on with cover, 6 towers (4 corners, 2 mid-point on the long edges) providing extra-high-angle attack and death-from-above chances, and a group of buildings in the middle of the courtyard area. The buildings will be one large keep, and two smaller out-buildings.

Level will be intended for 4-on-4 team or 6-way FFA at maximum, with CTF support in a later version via doubled keeps with terrain between them. It is currently approximately twice the size of Q3DM17 minus the railgun platform area.

Target hardware is medium-end by Generations Standards, as there is lots of detailing being added to the level where possible, such as hanging oil lamps (with smoke) for lighting, and similair. r_detailtextures will switch off anything inconsequential to gameplay, such as the smoke from the oil lamps as a straight-forward example.

Heavy emphasis is being placed on trying to theme the level with nods towards Wolfenstein 3D, while I'm actually trying to avoid making it look too much like Return to Castle Wolfenstein, more of Vadrigar work to recreate a suitable arena from the construction styles Sgt. Blaze remembers, since none of the castles he fought through so long ago were directly suitable themselves to be cloned.

Current Status:
  • Courtyard walls complete, beginning construction on wooden buildings.
  • Style defined and finished for:
    • Stone-work construction
    • Terrain
    • Lighting
  • Still creating style for the wooden buildings, and still laying out floorplan for central keep.
  • Still determining final terrain layout.
  • Still experimenting with dynamic lighting effect placement.
  • Still polishing hint-brushing regarding terrain visibility.
Latest Version - Jul 26rd, 2004 (Courtyard out-building style poll) - 3.2MB
« Last Edit: 2004-07-26, 09:37 by WolfWings » Logged
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #1 on: 2004-07-17, 14:09 »

1st - I think that the courtyard is too empty. Maybye some holes on the floor that would lead to a sewer...or some wodden towers with a railgun spawn...

2nd - To make it look a little more like Wolf3d you could put some stained-glass window...

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2004-07-17, 16:27 »

3rd: You might try using an image editor to increase the brightness on those shots - I can't see much other than some torches :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #3 on: 2004-07-17, 17:16 »

4th - you could supply an Alpha test map if you think that the screenshots do no justice as to how bright the map looks in-game. =]
WolfWings

Pinky

« Reply #4 on: 2004-07-17, 20:02 »

(Moved information to first post on thread.)
« Last Edit: 2004-07-24, 03:59 by WolfWings » Logged
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #5 on: 2004-07-17, 21:11 »

hmm yes give us some screenshots that we actually can see.. Slipgate - Smile it's really hard to give any feedback on this map for the momment..but keep it up!  Thumbs up!
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #6 on: 2004-07-17, 21:22 »

Well, the map doesn't have to be functional & playable if you're testing its structural look. =]
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #7 on: 2004-07-17, 23:57 »

The courtyard is much better now. Can't wait to see the test-version  Slipgate - Smile Slipgate - Smile

ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2004-07-18, 04:05 »

Quote from: WolfWings
General idea for weapon placement is grenade ammo and the launchers littered around the upper walls in below-normal amounts but more frequently (I.E. 2-packs of grenades, but respawn in 10-20 seconds randomly instead of 40 fixed seconds, launchers only give 1 grenade, but respawn every 5 seconds)), and a mix of machinegun, shotgun, and railgun ammo on the upper tower-levels, randomly respawning around the level so players would need to switch towers to keep their ammo stocked up. Rocket launcher goes in the keep once it's built, shotgun and railgun would be set up as random spawns at the tops of the towers along with their ammo.
I wouldn't do things like that for a very good reason: it can seriously tip the balance in favor of one class over the others.

For example: Doom gets a rocket launcher for the GL. Earth gets a mortar. Slipgate gets ammo for his rocket launcher. And you're talking about multiple spawns. Bad idea.

Think strategically. Where is the absolute best place for this grenade launcher? In the corner somewhere, or on a ledge above a powerup?

You also have to increase flow and limit camping. If a room has lots of health and a strong weapon and is in an active part of the map, someone could camp it indefinately.

Here's a thread that I just posted that you might be interested in.

http://forums.wireheadstudios.org/index.ph...&f=11&t=1849&s=
WolfWings

Pinky

« Reply #9 on: 2004-07-18, 09:22 »

WolfWings

Pinky

« Reply #10 on: 2004-07-18, 13:28 »

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #11 on: 2004-07-18, 13:55 »

I like open 3D type maps myself, rather than 'tight passages' and this looks very good.

look foreward to playing it when you have a beta
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #12 on: 2004-07-18, 15:23 »

I just had a walk around the place. Looking nice and RTCW for so far. I look forward to a playable version.

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #13 on: 2004-07-18, 18:55 »

Here's my opinion:

1st
The courtyard is too empty. But since you already said that you would fill it with holes & stuff, it's solved

2nd
As you can see  in the pic, the map is too damn dark in the courtyard zone. The rest has enough lightning.

3rd
In the stairs, there's a column of oil lamps. Get rid of it. Instead of that put the oil lamps on the walls.

4th
Get rid of the 2nd floor in the mid parts. It's a good idea to just put the 2nd floor in the corners.

BTW sorry about the HUGE pic.
« Last Edit: 2004-07-24, 04:09 by ConfusedUs » Logged

WolfWings

Pinky

« Reply #14 on: 2004-07-18, 20:27 »

Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #15 on: 2004-07-18, 20:47 »

Maybye a Sunny skybox like in RTCW...that would provide enough brightness for the whole map. BTW forget the 4th oppinion.

Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #16 on: 2004-07-19, 19:39 »

I'd suggest an ambient purplish-blue light all over the outside of the map to give the area a midnight look to it.

As far as the structure goes... I hope there's a great deal of good stuff in the courtyard to make the gameplay interesting =]
WolfWings

Pinky

« Reply #17 on: 2004-07-20, 03:44 »

« Last Edit: 2004-07-24, 03:58 by WolfWings » Logged
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #18 on: 2004-07-20, 03:50 »

Gen supports ladders. Talk to Reboot or Phoenix for details
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #19 on: 2004-07-20, 04:44 »

Counts only work for Arena right now.  It's a code oversight that I've never gotten around to fixing.  A big problem is figuring out how to translate count values from Arena to every other class since their ammo pickup values and useage varies drastically for some weapons.  At this point I would discourage using entity counts as a balancing factor for a Generations map.  I'd focus more on item placement and keeping in mind which items translate to what for each class.

Yes, ladders work in Gen, and will work even better in .99e since you can climb them faster now.  ReBoot knows how to properly implement them into a map.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: