2024-04-23, 20:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: 99e Maplist Sumission Thread  (Read 14017 times)
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #20 on: 2004-10-10, 19:26 »

Quote from: Assamite
I never recalled any squash-traps in Doom.
They aren't in Episode 1. Plus, what's wrong with making use of the new eninge to have multiple floors? Just look at MKsteel to see what I mean.

Meanwhile back at the topic:

lun3dm3
{
timelimit 15
fraglimit 0
bot_minplayers 4
dmflags 0
genflags 29
}
« Last Edit: 2004-10-10, 19:36 by scalliano » Logged

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Vadertime

CyberDemon

« Reply #21 on: 2004-10-26, 22:16 »

I know this is a little off topic, but did anybody ever look at my duke maps? I know duke is ancient history but I still think you could make good use of some of the stuff in those maps for generations. Duke had severe limitations but I found ways to get around some of them. If you want to see the worst crusher trap in doom history, look at final doom, tnt map 14, the steel mill. There's a crusher there that is very large and you have to run under it to get a necessary keycard. Crushers were fairly common in doom, at least in the later episodes and in doom2 or final doom. Another bad one is in tnt in level 29 in the river styx map. A keycard is guarded by a crusher made from about 2 dozen peices all moving independently.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #22 on: 2004-10-26, 22:23 »

Yes, you've pimped/plugged your duke maps quite a lot. Not to poop your party or anything but:

1. Duke3D has nothing to do with what Generations. In any way. At all. Ever.
Nor does it have anything to do with Doom crusher traps?
2. Maps included with the original games, or maps that were very popular (globally) for one of the ID games add to the nostalgia effect, most (amateur) user created maps do not.
3. Your post (and - damn - now, mine too) is off topic, but I see you knew that ;]
« Last Edit: 2004-10-26, 22:25 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #23 on: 2004-10-26, 23:17 »

Why not simply let this thread die? since 99e already is history? Slipgate - Smile and that was really  Slipgate - Off Topic  hehe
Vadertime

CyberDemon

« Reply #24 on: 2004-10-27, 06:39 »

Hey, I did mention doom crusher traps. I'm trying to think of some nasty ones. The reason I "pimp" my Duke maps is because they had some really cool shit in them. If I could I would redo the maps for Generations or at least parts of them. Maybe even put in some crushers. AS I'm sure I said before, I tried gtk radiant on my computer and it refused to work. I'm sure if it had I could make some Quake maps simply too hot for you to handle. Since you like doom crusher maps so well, why not get somebody to make a remake of the steel mill from final doom?
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #25 on: 2004-10-27, 10:43 »

Reboot: this is for 99e's update, so it's not history yet ;]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #26 on: 2004-10-27, 20:16 »

True, but this all seems like a huge chunk of unnecesary code that could be done without.

I really like the current map rotation script, I just strongly dislike tourney/tdm maps for FFA games.
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #27 on: 2004-11-22, 09:00 »

I kinda agree with Tek. It's nice to have all these options for the map lists, but I think the default options are more or less fine with everyone. When you start having different settings for each map, I would imagine it would become confusing having to switch gears and figure out the changes every new game.

What would be nice is to have a couple extra rotation lists on hand for forum games and the like, based around certain themes. For example, you could have a "forced class" list where every map, everyone had to play the class for the map (ie Doom on dead simple, Slippy on Bad Place etc). Other than the forced class, not other setting would change. That way, there's no getting hung up on all the individual details, and everyone knows what's going on every game.  Then you could make a set based on other isolated changes and what not, and you'd have a couple different custom rotations on hand.

That way, any time you wanted to switch things up with something like "forced class night" on the forum games,  you guys (the admins) wouldn't have to spend so much time setting up before hand, you'd allready have it ready. Another thing that might be nice is if these lists could somehow be voted in by players in-game, though that might be too complicated at the moment.

Anyway,  back to what Tek was saying, I'd have to agree. The only major gripe with rotations I have right now is getting stuck on a tiny 1v1 tourney  map when the server piles up with 15 people, then durring 1v1 or 2-3 player FFA, some gigantic map like Pain From Spain will pop up. If there was some way to have the server rotate based on player count (ie it never runs a small tourney map once the player count goes over 3 or 4, but never runs a large FFA map if the player count falls under 3 or 4) then it would help smooth play on central a lot. If you could set some kind of "size" value for each map in the rotation, ie small, medium, large, then have the game choose to allow or skip the map based on that value, I'd imagine it would be pretty simple.

Frag limit isn't a big deal since mostly the server always runs time limits, but if you wanted to, you could do something like 'fraglimit  = (10x [# of players])" and that would work pretty well, imo.

This is all only for FFA though. For CTF or TDM, I would be in favor of something like using a class vs class team setting for all maps in the default rotation. We don't play CTF or TDM much, but when we do, might as well go all out. I don't know about settings like hook though cause frankly I've never been in a Gen CTF game and don't even know the maps or much about using hook. If the map was designed for hook, include it in the settings I say. If not, let it be, I tend to not like translocators or hooks when they're not absolutely necessary.

In any case, I think generalized rules are more practical for this project, both for the players playing under the settings, and the people making up the settings. If you get into all these tiny little things changing radically in every map, it's too much work to program, and the players will all get confused when they go to play it.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: