2024-04-20, 11:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 ... 52
  Print  
Author Topic: it's... the Off-Topic Topic (it just won't die!)  (Read 403006 times)
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #480 on: 2007-09-06, 19:03 »

Also..

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #481 on: 2007-09-06, 19:10 »

There used to be TDM Tuesday and CTF Thursday (or vice versa) and they were the games I used to catch quite regularly, mainly because I'm usually doing stuff on Saturdays. Still, might be worth hanging about on a server sometime after 2am BST - can you add bots with \callvote?

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #482 on: 2007-09-06, 19:20 »

Somehow I'm not surprised...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoXgRtDysLY

also it's seems like quite a while since there have been steady games going on...
« Last Edit: 2007-09-06, 19:23 by Kajet » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #483 on: 2007-09-06, 22:05 »

No, you can't add bots with a /callvote.  You have to have rcon to the server.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #484 on: 2007-09-24, 02:14 »

I ran across an old screenshot of when I used to play instagib on the old Altered-Reality server.  Looking back it's kind of scary.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #485 on: 2007-09-24, 12:47 »

Ah, I've got a "that's kind of scary" pic too:

1. Yes, I was in a (quite impressive) dutch "666" clan at one point. Pretty lame name, but let's just say I was often the devil's advocate in those days, too.
2. DC4 wasn't actually a bad clan -- we just got the power suits first..

You been setting your bird-friends up to some mischief, Pho?

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #486 on: 2007-09-24, 14:16 »

Now would I do something like that?  Slipgate - Wink

What's scary to me (in the pic I posted) is my ping, and the fact that I used to consider that playable... 
Slipgate - Surprised

Looks like you guys had a nice run in that match.  I remember a 2 vs 2 game of Rocket Arena I played with Con against some guys from the ::DA!:: clan back when it was new where we just ran over the guys.  I don't think either one of us died once.  Wasn't anything competitive but it was kind of like... do these guys understand the concept of aiming?  Chaingunning the walls does not count for points.
« Last Edit: 2007-09-24, 14:18 by Phoenix » Logged

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #487 on: 2007-09-24, 14:21 »

maybe they were looking for secret areas? :]

Sucutrule

Tank Commander

KETEZEIT PEW PEW

« Reply #488 on: 2007-09-24, 23:07 »

*You found a secret area! A rain of imps is thrown to ya!*

Slipgate - WTF :Think we're screwed doom...
Doomed :Got that right ranger...
Slipgate - Surprised :Ooh! Wait I have some thunderbolt here...
Doom - Exclamation :Can you hurry or something? this is kinda...messy.*double shotty blast yay*
Sipgate - Evil :Die demon CRAP!!!!! *THUNDERBOLTZZZZZZZ*
Slipgate - Grin :Yay! All of 'em are damn dead!
Doom - Thumbs Up! :Great Job! Hurry let's... Doom - Exclamation Oh crap.
*RESPAWNAZORZ*
Doomed :...
Slipgate - Ninja :...
Doomed :I fu**ing hate this.
Slipgate - Shouting :Me too damn it!!

Now...That would be a nice mod...

How I am supposed to type will all this cheese laying around?
Kajet

Vadrigar

« Reply #489 on: 2007-09-25, 00:23 »

DORITOS spork YEAH!!!

Saturday I went to see a parade, was kinda fun but I saw a guy in a banana suit complete with a hole for the person's face and all I could think of was PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME... I guess thats a sign I've wasted too much time online...

INAPPROPRIATE CAPITALIZATION!!!1
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #490 on: 2007-09-25, 12:35 »

Monday, September 25th, 2007

I went to school and met up with Chad, a friend from my acting class two semesters ago. (I have no aspirations to be an actor.  I needed the credits, and I found acting to be far more effective at developing my public speaking skills than actually taking a public speaking class.)  He wanted to see more of the area (he's still new to AZ,) and he offered to drive if I would be his guide.

We checked out Lee Lee's Oriental Supermarket in Chandler, AZ as neither of us had been there.  The place is sporking awesome with food spanning from all of Asia and various countries in South America.  I bought Goya coconut soda, Iron Beer soda, canned jackfruit,  a fresh durian, chips made from plantains, mangosteen juice, and Indian potato snacks.  (The total only came to $16!)  Apparently, Chad is quite the fan of coconut so most of the items he purchased were derived from that fruit.

From there, we went to a nearby Indian restaurant we found while searching for Lee Lee's.  (It's called Curry House: Flavor of India if you're curious.)  Truth be told, I had never eaten Indian food before so I wasn't certain of what to expect.  However, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.

Besides never having tried Indian food before, I decided to try lamb for the first time (lamb biryani more specifically.)  While lamb is no substitute for beef, it's delicious none-the-less.  I can't believe more people don't eat lamb here in the USA; the meat doesn't taste gamy at all.  In fact, it tastes like a pleasant cross between chicken and beef.

After the food, we stopped off at Bookman's where I obtained a copy of Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel.  (I only need Hexen 2: Portal of Praevus now to complete my collection of the Hexen/Heretic series.)  Chad picked up Carmageddon 2 and several PC adventure titles.

From there, we went to see Resident Evil: Extinction as I had planned on seeing the movie, and I offered to pay Chad's way in.  The film wasn't nearly as good as the 2nd, but it had a lot of good horror moments like the 1st.  Afterwards, we stopped back off at school and I headed home.

But wait, it doesn't stop there...

The previous events have all been leading up to this point: the sole purpose of my day off was to obtain a durian.  Ever since I learned of the fruit's existence, it has been a minor goal of mine to taste one.  After many years of passively searching, I can finally cross it off my list and warn any who seek the "king of all fruits."

Durians have a strong odor.  (They smell like human genitalia.)  However, the odor is rather subdued when frozen and/or left unopen.  Opened durians are another story.  As you cut away at the spiky shell, you are greeted by increasing levels of funk (think of each level as an additional day of going without bathing.)  It's not gag-inducing mind, but it's still unpleasant.  The taste is... well... another matter entirely.

What you smell cannot possibly prepare you for what you taste; it's far more rancid than that.  (Think unbathed, human genitalia that has begun to rot.)  Besides the assault on your olfactory and gustatory systems, durians have a seriously funky thing going on texture-wise.  Parts of the "flesh" have a consistency similar to that of an egg white cooked "sunny-side-up," while the rest is akin to eating a mango.  (Think mango-stuffed, unbathed, human genitalia that has begun to rot.)

So the "king of all fruits" bested me.  The taste was so revolting that I gagged on the tiniest sliver of the fruit.  I forced myself to try it again, this time with a larger sample, but I just could not muster the strength to chew let alone swallow.

I know now the full extent of the torture Andrew Zimmern endured.  Durians are one of the few things Andrew is unable to stand the taste of.  This is coming from a man who will eat just about any organ from just about any animal.

But wait it still doesn't stop there...

While at home, I discovered the Indian potato snacks I purchased contained monosodium glutamate to which I am mildly allergic.  Unfortunately, I discovered this after sampling the snack so I'm running a bit of a fever right now.  I'll deal; MSG has nothing on the Italian rose petal soda I imbibed a while back.

I also learned that my girlfriend Ashley fell down some stairs while at work today.  She injured her arm pretty badly but nothing appears to be broken.  (She's going to the doctor tomorrow.)  Even though we're over two thousand miles apart from one another, I feel horrible for not being home when she called to tell me the news...

Made it this far? Good, here's where I'm going with all of this...

1.) Treasure your friends and family.  You never know when you'll get to see them next.
2.) Don't be afraid to try new things.*

* Avoid durians and anything you're allergic to.
« Last Edit: 2007-09-25, 12:46 by Kain-Xavier » Logged

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #491 on: 2007-09-25, 15:00 »

I keep telling you all to stick to pomegranates.  Just... don't get any this early in the year.  Wait until November when they're nice and ripe.  Early poms have white arils and that produce juice that has no flavor.

Kain:  Why is A durian called the "King of fruits"?  And why in God's name would you try one if they're considered revolting?

Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #492 on: 2007-09-25, 21:07 »

Kain:  Why is A durian called the "King of fruits"?  And why in God's name would you try one if they're considered revolting?

As per the Wikipedia article I linked to in the previous post, it is highly regarded by many people in southeast Asia.  (I believe I've also linked to this website before in another post.)  I seriously cannot understand how one can tolerate the taste of a durian, but I suppose it comes with the territory.  There are several other popular dishes in southeast Asia that involve the consumption of fermented food such as stinky tofu.

As for why I would try it, why not?  The taste is clearly not as good as it's hyped up to be, but it's still loaded with vitamin C and potassium.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #493 on: 2007-09-25, 23:40 »

Ahh, silly me for not clicking the links.  As for eating "disgusting" foods... I might mention the eating habits of some tribes in South America that go around almost completely naked (some are completely naked).  They use poison darts to kill monkeys up in the forest canopy, then wrap them in palm leaves and leave them to bake in the sun for three days.  Camera crews documenting them had to wear gas masks.  As for the people themselves... they have nearly unblemished skin, perfect teeth, excellent eye sight, and can eat rotten meat as easily as a vulture.  So it does not surprise me that a fruit that is unpalatable to some might be considered a delicacy elsewhere considering the variability of human diet.

Now as for my wondering about your desire to try this fruit...  While I am rather fond of vultures and marvel at their ability to consume carrion, it does not mean I will dine with them "just to see what it's like".  I suppose your curiosity exceeds mine in these matters.
  Slipgate - Wink

Sucutrule

Tank Commander

KETEZEIT PEW PEW

« Reply #494 on: 2007-09-30, 17:55 »

failure

How I am supposed to type will all this cheese laying around?
Kajet

Vadrigar

« Reply #495 on: 2007-10-01, 03:28 »

Well seeing as gen is nearing completion it might be fun to see some of the older public releases in action, however embarrassing they may be

http://browse.files.filefront.com/Quake+...erations+Arena/;152040;/browsefiles.html
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #496 on: 2007-10-01, 03:38 »

The journey of 1,000 miles is far from over.

Kajet

Vadrigar

« Reply #497 on: 2007-10-01, 03:46 »

but its closer than v0.99c right?
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #498 on: 2007-10-01, 15:12 »

Version C is 4-years old already?! Wow...
GG WIREHEAD!

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #499 on: 2007-10-01, 17:17 »

Closer, yes, but closer to Tick, or closer to Tock?  Slipgate - Ninja

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 ... 52
  Print  

Jump to: