2024-03-29, 07:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Doom II Entryway map (and Strogg map: City Palace (W.I.P.))  (Read 84262 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #20 on: 2007-08-29, 22:54 »

I would be the mapper newbie if anyone were to take up mapping.  My mapping experience consists of a WolfEdit episode that I never finished, hacking E2M8 of Wolf3d so I could get 100% secrets, items, and kills for finishing the episode (that's the level that had the "Aardwolf" secret maze), and a brief foray into DoomCAD.  I got distracted by Dehacked because I thought it was more fun to make exploding bullet puffs and gatling shotguns.  Doom - Love

I could probably figure out mapping at some point but I have way too much coding to do.  Does make me a little jealous how Tab makes everything look like it's so damned easy for him though.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #21 on: 2007-08-29, 23:47 »

I made lots and lots of maps for Doom! I'll see if I can find some old stuff -- I can't even recall exactly what I used to make them.. I think it was DEU (at least, I recall staring at screens like this for many hours: http://legacy.newdoom.com/der/levels/2begin11.gif ). I spent most time, however, editing sprites and starting 'Total Conversions' that ended up being more like 'Unfinished, Nowhere-Near-Total Conversions'. My Quake II mapping experience (in QuArK, no less) helps some, because I know some of the basic the pitfalls of brushwork. The best help, so far, have been the radiant manual and dOnkey's tutorials (they're a good way to leave inefficient/clumsy approaches to mapping behind).

Trust me, it's not easy for me. I just a) refuse to give up if a program (max, radiant, photoshop) refuses to do what I want it to do and b) can't help but work and rework anything that just isn't acceptable (unless it's buggy and I'm unaware of it Slipgate - Wink).

I have a feeling that eventually we'll have to produce some remakes or remixes of our own to complete the selection of maps and to get some proper nostalgia texture use going. Doom remakes using Lunaran's textures look cool most of the time, but any other texture-set usually lacks either aesthetic quality or nostalgia-powerrr. So, I don't think it'll hurt to give it a shot --- eventually. :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #22 on: 2007-08-30, 00:02 »

I'm kinda jealous of people who can map... my first really serious attempt at mapping met an unfortunate end when I loaded up Q3radiant (I think) only to find the map that was between 50-75 % done had assploded into nothingness, all the main structure was done I had just started re-texturing things to non-placeholder stuff and... poof everything was gone save the filename  Banging Head against Wall but what the hell, might as well give it another shot sooner or later...
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #23 on: 2007-08-30, 02:36 »

So Tab, you mean your apparently demigod-like texture, model, and (it appears also) mapping talent is really just stubbornness, brute force, determination, and not knowing when to quit?  I'd say we have a lot more in common than I previously thought!  Slipgate - Laugh

ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #24 on: 2007-08-30, 08:22 »

Well usually by using the clipper tool or doing a CSG subtract with a brush that you've cliped/edge editet/vertex manipulated with the desired design.

Well id say your doing pretty damn good with the map so im not sure if your not gonna "compete" with the big boys Slipgate - Smile
Well since i come home yesterday i might get started to try do some mapping work myself..and of cuz give you alot more work to do Slipgate - Wink
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #25 on: 2007-08-31, 22:21 »

not knowing when to quit?
Why do you think I'm often on the brink of RSI-problems? ;]

Always feel free to ask, Reb!

I've got a fairly decent rock-formation going and I've created a different building front that faces the palace entrance, so the outdoors area is almost done. I'll upload some more screenies later. Slipgate - Smile

Edit: new screenshots:

http://www.tabun.nl/tmp/gen/tab3dm1_pre06.jpg

Edit 2:
By the way, I've found my WAY old Doom II WADfiles. Looks like I've still got four old maps. If you feel masochistic enough to give them a try, here they are.
« Last Edit: 2007-08-31, 23:13 by Tabun » Logged

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #26 on: 2007-09-01, 00:24 »

Cripes... why couldn't Quake IV look like THAT?!?  It's starting to look a lot like Stroggos.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #27 on: 2007-09-06, 22:40 »

Thanks Pho - twas good reading that. Slipgate - Smile

I've done a some work on the 'side-entrance' and the first sewers-ish area. Progress is slow as I've got other stuff to do now, but I'm still working on it.

http://www.tabun.nl/tmp/gen/tab3dm1_pre07.jpg

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #28 on: 2007-09-07, 01:26 »

Yet more droolage.  That's looking very, very nice.  Dammit, where's our "Quake2 - love" smiley....

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #29 on: 2007-09-07, 04:46 »

*slurp*

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #30 on: 2007-09-07, 07:20 »

My god... Its... brown... yet... awesome...

Can't... stop... talking like... shatner...

KHAAAAAAN!!!
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #31 on: 2007-09-07, 09:35 »

QIIFTW
Awesome job Tab!

Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #32 on: 2007-09-08, 12:47 »

Goomba love is the best kind of love...

Awesome job Tabun!  Slipgate - Thumbs up!

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #33 on: 2007-09-10, 23:49 »

I've run into a couple of snags and my lack of mapping experience doesn't making planning the map any easier. Instead of moving on now and ruin the potential of the areas that I've built, I think I'd rather tackle an easier job, first. Something that won't demand special attention (at least primarily) to anything but visuals and nostalgia.

So, I think the first map I'll finish will be what I can make of this:
http://www.tabun.nl/tmp/gen/tabd2map01_pre01.jpg

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #34 on: 2007-09-17, 02:11 »

Hmm. Going full purist isn't my thing. That would mean making perfect-matching textures and using them in horrible ways. Instead, I've got this, so far:

http://www.tabun.nl/tmp/gen/tabd2map01_pre02.jpg

The only thing I'm somewhat worried about is the scale. It looks to be rather a bit upscaled in comparison, but the texture units/size match. I know Quake 3 needs big enough spaces for enjoyable playing, but it does mean players are un-doomishly small. Since there is no way to scale whole groups of brushes altogether without destroying texture placement (correct me if I'm wrong, please!), there's no acceptable way for me to change the size. I'll just keep going and hope it won't kill the map.

http://www.tabun.nl/tmp/gen/tabd2map01_pre02_scale.jpg

Edit: I can correct myself. Rescaling the entire map was easier than I'd expected. I expected most textures (especially slanted/rotated ones) to shift all over the place. Turns out I was wrong. I can now find a good size in between Doom-scale and Q3A-playable-scale.

http://www.tabun.nl/tmp/gen/tabd2map01_pre02_scale_2.jpg

« Last Edit: 2007-09-17, 02:37 by Tabun » Logged

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #35 on: 2007-09-17, 16:19 »

Very Doomy indeed.  Tab let me take a stroll around what he's done in the map so far.  The bird likes.  Doom - Love

ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #36 on: 2007-09-18, 22:58 »

Very nice indeed Slipgate - Smile rly should try make sometime for mapping aswell but life's a bitch sometime...
Anyways one thing i did notice is that the white line that are on all panels is missing on the panel with the light..looks abit odd to me since the texture match the green background exactly.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #37 on: 2007-09-18, 23:53 »

I don't quite follow.. What white line and which light texture.. Can you illustrate?

ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #38 on: 2007-09-19, 00:42 »

if u take a look at: http://www.tabun.nl/tmp/gen/tabd2map01_pre02_scale_2.jpg
You'll see the thin little white line on the "green" textures.

Those are missing on the "lamp" texture

-----   Lamp texture no line   ------

-----------------------------------  <--- line all the way

----------------------------------- <--- same here

Instead:

------Lamp texture----------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------

Lol dont know if that explained it much better
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #39 on: 2007-09-19, 01:08 »

I think boot means the line I've pointed to in green which is on the left and right sides of the light texture.  The stark white line I've drawn in is where this is missing on the light texture.  I've pointed to that with the red arrows.  Compare to the original and note that the white band is absent from that texture.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: