2024-04-19, 03:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Doom II Entryway map (and Strogg map: City Palace (W.I.P.))  (Read 84873 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #60 on: 2007-12-08, 17:38 »

Quality over quantity - a Pixel Procrastinator's Creed.  Slipgate - Laugh

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Vorlonesque

Team Member
Pain Elemental

« Reply #61 on: 2007-12-09, 08:23 »

That d2map01 map is looking brilliant!  Just for nostalgia I could see myself and my brother playing on that a good bit.  It looks like your really nailing it so far.  The attention to detail and the geometry in there are really impressive...and the Q2 map on the first page of this thread has me excited as well.  You seem to really have a knack for this mapping thing Tab...I'm impressed; you seem to have a talent for picking things up and running with them...you and Pho really impress me with the fact that you both seem to quickly jump into something and end up excelling with it. 
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #62 on: 2007-12-09, 19:13 »

I would say Tab has more of the artistic talent going for him.  I'm just too stubborn to realize something shouldn't work until I've already done it.

Vorlonesque

Team Member
Pain Elemental

« Reply #63 on: 2007-12-12, 22:10 »

I have bits and pieces of a DOOM1 E1M4 map I was working on (originally going to be a CTF remix...never got to far with that).  I'm halfway tempted to try and use that (the parts that are faithful to the original) as a starting point for a remake.  The scale would be a little different (as I remember the "maze" area had a higher ceiling so you could actually jump in there)...but it would be fairly close.  I have a feeling I'll get started and never finish it (I have like 3 Q3 maps that I started on and then got distracted...plus dlight shadows are what I focus most of my free creative time on right now).

I love the fact that you've used a lot of actual geometry in that Map01 remake Tab...a lot of things in there would be so easy to just use a flat texture for...but the extra effor is really impressive and thats what really impressed me on first look...the ammount of detail in there!
bengreenwood

Ogre

« Reply #64 on: 2008-01-28, 18:36 »

Just saw this thread and I thought I'd say, good job because I loved the palace levels in Quake 2. I hope you make the rooms a bit bigger than they were in the palace levels though. Be nice to have some tank statues in there maybe.
fourier

Hans Grosse

« Reply #65 on: 2008-01-28, 21:23 »

I just saw this post and read on page 1 that you said you could do some stuff in 3dsmax much faster.  I thought I would give you a heads-up as many q3 mappers don't know they can make q3 levels completely in 3dsmax.  I only wish I had the time to learn how to work in 3dsmax, because I really would like to make some nice terrain maps.

Anyway, have a look here:
http://www.urbanterror.net/news.php?extend.107

I have q3map2_fs_20g.exe, and I don't know if there are newer versions.  That was the most recent version I could find back in early last year when I was looking into this.

Also, if you are looking to better your abilities in q3 mapping you can, if you haven't already, take a look here:
http://www.simonoc.com/pages/articles.htm

I think most mappers who still map for q3 today are at least aware of the topics discussed in that link, mostly due to Pyramid of the Magician.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #66 on: 2008-01-28, 21:45 »

I've seen a lot of (good, bad and ugly) tutorials, but haven't come across that site yet. Once I get back to mapping, I'll have a looksee there.

As for 3dsmax-based mapping -- I'm sure there's some possibilities, but I'm also pretty sure that it'll be harder to control r_speeds and physics issues. I don't really have any difficulty making acceptable terrain floors at this time, but who knows when it might come in handy.

First thing I'll do when I get back to mapping is finish the doom2map01 remake. I'm good for that on every aspect but time. ;]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
fourier

Hans Grosse

« Reply #67 on: 2008-01-28, 23:27 »

The r_speeds, I believe, was one of the major reasons why the UT team (I think it was one guy who did it) modified that q3map2.  Creating detailed shapes and terrain has a big impact on r_speeds.  Using their ASE based terrain, r_speeds were dramatically lower while achieving greater level of detail.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #68 on: 2009-07-25, 13:02 »

Damn, now I'm suddenly itching to get back to work on the Doom map... Heh.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #69 on: 2009-08-04, 18:27 »

I've done some more work on it. Feels kind of good to be fixing up textures and bits of a level again. Still working up the courage to pick up 3ds max, too..

The big room with the blue carpet (mostly):
http://www.tabun.nl/tmp/gen/tabd2map01_pre04.jpg

And the other "big room":
http://www.tabun.nl/tmp/gen/tabd2map01_pre05.jpg

Switches work, for the most part, although not all in the big brown room.

The latter is very much a W.I.P. as far as lighting goes. It needs some spotlights and it will be a lot darker once I'm through with it. First I want to tackle the outside area, though. That would mean finishing the areas (in basic outline). Not too much more work now...

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #70 on: 2009-08-04, 18:44 »

Damn fine looking stuff there, Tab.. ..and saying that feels like it's getting old and stale. One of these days, I'll need to examine something with a magnifying glass and cry out at some minute and obscure flaw even though I'd never be able to do any better myself.

I kid, of course. Always nice to see eyecandy from the pixel procrastinator.

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #71 on: 2009-08-04, 19:10 »

Nice work! A proper version of Entryway at last!

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #72 on: 2009-08-05, 01:17 »

That's looking very, very Doomy indeed.  The bird approves!  Doom - Thumbs Up!

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #73 on: 2009-08-08, 17:51 »

Thanks all.

I was working on the map today, and for the hell of it compared its actual top-view layout to the original Entryway. Now, mind you, I have so far just eyeballed it (based on screenshots and some textured map pictures).

orange = original DooM map, blue = gtkradiant top-view

Close enough -- and a lot closer than I'd expected it to be. Outside area still needs a lot of work..

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #74 on: 2009-08-09, 00:37 »

For eyeballing it, I'd say that's pretty close.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #75 on: 2009-08-09, 02:38 »

Aye, I got lucky a few times -- and sticking to the grid helps too.

I just wasted a day trying to figure out how to get Sock's terrain (dotproduct2/alpha) to work. Couldn't even  compile his own tutorial map -- it works now. Now I just need to tame it to get a decent outdoorsy look going..

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #76 on: 2009-08-12, 11:35 »

Done some more work. Aside from the outside area, which I've tried to make somewhat hilly (screenies), I've playerclipped most of the areas, added ambient sounds and tinkered with lighting.

http://www.tabun.nl/tmp/gen/tabd2map01_pre07.jpg
(don't mind the black lines in the skybox -- I can't fix that with the drivers I'm using on my non-gaming rig)

I still need to properly light the big brown room -- and find some way to do it nicely. After that, I can think about item placement (I'll make one true-to-Doom version, ofcourse, but FFA might be spiced up by a more interesting set-up).

I'm done with setting up vis. The map is really pretty low on r_speeds (max 7000 verts or so) right now. That's the way it should be, because it's still close enough to Doom to be fairly basic. I'm hesitant to add too much detail and spoil the Doomy feel of the thing.

I did hit a snag when I played with the scale of the whole map. It turns out that it is closest to DooM scale at 0.7 times what I've made it, while still allowing you to jump without hitting the ceiling. Unfortunately, when scaling it down that way, curves/patches get disconnected from the brushwork of the map (cracks all over the place). Thankfully, this problem does not occur scaling to 0.75 times. I guess vertices of brushes and patches get differently rounded down or something. The map goes off-grid when scaling smaller (or with odd values), so manual fixes seem to be impossible. Three quarters of the original size works well enough, but it would be nice if I could get it a few notches closer to the way it felt in Doom.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #77 on: 2009-08-12, 17:10 »

Skybox lines not withstanding, that looks pretty darn nice.  The slope makes the water pooling feel more natural, and I love seeing slopes in terrain as it makes for more interesting play.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #78 on: 2009-08-14, 02:42 »

Did some more work - almost ready to make a sort of alpha-test version.

http://www.tabun.nl/tmp/gen/tabd2map01_pre08.jpg

Note that I'm still tinkering with the water shader (it's making some weird pixely blotches, no good yet).

I'm fairly happy with the overall lighting now, just need to tweak the sun a bit. From the feedback (some of) you guys may be willing to give me, I'm hoping to find out whether the map is too dark. It looks ok on my end, but settings/set-ups differ...

I guess most of the work left is technical: fixing some brushes to get better fps, getting bots to work et cetera. That is, aside from item placement.

ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #79 on: 2009-08-15, 10:46 »

:O looks cool tab and very doomish Slipgate - Smile can't wait till i can give this map a spin!

only thing that comes in mind is the outdoor area looks abit "spartan" and for me the green floor seems out of place, dont rember if the floor was green in the original doom but id go for a more brown(dust) texture with maybe hints of green grass in it.

ugh maybe i should try find sometime and work on my maps aswell :S
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8
  Print  

Jump to: