2024-03-28, 11:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gen CTF Game Planned  (Read 67202 times)
MarneGator

Cacodemon

« Reply #100 on: 2009-01-19, 17:50 »

About those issues with lag... my connection was so terrible that last Saturday (go figure) I just decided to sit out.  The weekends are becoming more and more of a crap shot for me so my participation will be very hit and miss for the foreseeable future.
Anybody actually play this last weekend?

-Veritas-
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #101 on: 2009-01-19, 19:44 »

I wasn't there, so I do not know.  Regarding your connection problem, perhaps we could help figure it out if you told us a little bit more about your internet connection as a whole.  Let me ask a few questions here.

1)  How do you connect to the internet?  Are you on cable, DSL?  Are you plugged in or do you use wireless?  If wireless, is it your own service or are you leeching off someone else?  If its your own service, do you share the connection with anybody?  Are you... God forbid... on dialup?
2)  Geographically, where are you generally located?  eg, California, Ohio, Michigan, England, Australia, Canada, etc.
3)  Have you run an internet speed test to see what your general connection health is?  I recommend Speed Test.  Choose the recommended server for testing.  Compare your results there from what your internet service provider says you should be getting.  If it's bad, you may have a defective cable or DSL modem.   Also, run at least one test at various times during the day - Morning, noon, night, late night, and see if there's a speed difference depending on time of day.  Heavy traffic can affect your connection.

Let me know what's going on there and we'll try to track this down.  There's no point in recommending game settings to help out until we know how your overall internet connection health is.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
fourier

Hans Grosse

« Reply #102 on: 2009-01-19, 23:03 »

I was there for a bit.

You can also do the Tweak test at broadbandreports:
http://www.broadbandreports.com/tweaks
MarneGator

Cacodemon

« Reply #103 on: 2009-01-23, 04:13 »

Ah yes!  Coming back from my coma and here's what's up:
1) Haha!  I'm indeed on a "borrowed" wireless connection.  I thought I made disparaging comments about it in the past, but yeah, no connection to call my own! 
2) NYC
3) Ran the test and it's apparently good which is what I expected; most days I have no issues with getting on the Internet.  Heavy traffic hours do give me a couple fits and I have not yet had the opportunity to run the test during those times.
Saturdays in the past were generally good (sans those wretched drops), but around the time the server changed to Chicago I was having a rough time getting on the 'net anyway.  I don't remember how many Saturdays it has been, but it has been consistently poor on that day for a little while.  Maybe when the markets again calm down (ha!) and people stop putting in weekend "Sell" orders I'll be better able to join the games  Slipgate - Wink
And I just played with the broadbandreports so I'll see if any difference was made this coming weekend.  Appreciate the advice!

-Veritas-
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
  Print  

Jump to: