2024-03-28, 15:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hardware Question  (Read 4918 times)
death_stalker

Makron

« on: 2009-06-19, 20:54 »

I've been thinking about upgrading my vid card for a while now. While looking I found this sweet card and almost ordered it until I noticed something.

Here's the problem: I run XP. The card says support for Direct X 10.1, and is a PCIe 2.0 x16. That tells me it's for Vista. My question is will it still work for XP? It also says it's certified for Vista... that's telling me no. I hope I'm wrong. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2009-06-19, 23:15 »

Yes, the card will work on XP, just make sure you install the right drivers.  I'm running a Geforce GTX 260 that's DX 10 and PCIe 2.0 x16 compliant, and it runs fine.  Also, if your motherboard's slots are only PCIe 1.x, you can still use the card.  The cards are backward compatible with the older PCIe standard.

Just be sure your power supply can handle the card as well.  If it's a beefy card, some take two power connectors.  Physical space can be an issue as well.  My card fits my case, but just barely, and I had to move two hard drives around to get it to fit.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
death_stalker

Makron

« Reply #2 on: 2009-06-20, 19:45 »

Good point. I might have to put that one off a bit longer. I didn't think about the power supply. The one I was looking at needs a 500 watt supply. Bummer.

Thanks for the info Pho.  Doom - Thumbs Up!

fourier

Hans Grosse

« Reply #3 on: 2009-06-21, 03:57 »

The average PC user doesn't think about the power supply until it dies on them, catches fire, or otherwise interrupts their PCs functionality.  You'd be wise to research them.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2009-06-21, 07:58 »

I'd recommend checking out http://www.hardocp.com and look at the power supplies they've tested out.  They abuse the hell out of the PSU's and see how well they work in normal and very abnormal conditions.  It's definitely worth looking at as power supplies are the least tested, yet most critical part of your system.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: