2024-04-19, 01:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Sever The Sphinx (Beta 1 Download)  (Read 16804 times)
Devlar

Makron

« on: 2003-02-08, 07:07 »

This is a large 6+ Egyptian Themed Arena based on the Doom map Sever the Wicked (DE4M3).

Screenshots
http://devlar.topcities.com/devsever.htm

Download (5.8 Megs)
http://www.infosprite.com/modules.php?name...download&cid=16
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2003-02-08, 11:08 »

Ooooh, very nice looking!  Must try the beta!  I love the Egyptian theme, makes me all homesick.  I'll be very happy fragging here I think.  Doom and Egypt, what more can you want?  Makes you wonder if Sam isn't about to join in for some coop!  Slipgate - Tongue

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Daedalus

CyberDemon

« Reply #2 on: 2003-02-08, 15:40 »

omigosh,  NICE... *drools*

and i havent even played it yet!
*slaps his modem, download faster dammit!*

Im SO going to play Hunt on this
Daedalus

CyberDemon

« Reply #3 on: 2003-02-08, 17:19 »

ok, im going to be nitpicky

http://sentience.b0x.com/shot0041.jpg

and

http://sentience.b0x.com/shot0043.jpg

Refresh if the pics dont show..

They should be self explanatory Slipgate - Smile
« Last Edit: 2003-02-08, 17:21 by Daedalus » Logged
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #4 on: 2003-02-09, 00:08 »

Cool Downloading..
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #5 on: 2003-02-09, 00:30 »

Hey, I want everyone to be nitpicky that's why I release betas Slipgate - Grin

As for this first one, I'm fixing that as we speak, the second one, well there is no spawn point there, there is an invisibility but no spawn point... If you spawned from there, I'd be a bit confused

EDIT - I'd also like to thank who ever reprogrammed the bots for generations cause they seem to play the whole map a great deal better as opposed to the vannila quake bots
« Last Edit: 2003-02-09, 00:34 by Devlar » Logged
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2003-02-09, 00:57 »

Good work devlar!

Other than the things mentioned above, I only have two complaints, show in the following shot:
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #7 on: 2003-02-09, 03:21 »

Yeah a very nice map devlar! everything's seems to be fine except what con showed and that spiral stair, the stair's seems not be aligned.
and you might add more health and armor those are quite hard to get and maybe there should be more weapon respawning points, have not tested the bot's yet i'll do that tomorrow.

that egyptian texture set really fit right in i really like it!

Good Work!
Daedalus

CyberDemon

« Reply #8 on: 2003-02-09, 03:35 »

whatever it was, i seemed to find alot of bots just sitting in that alcove doing nothing at all

probably because
A.) they cant get back up (they are too stupid to rocket jump out)
and
B.) they dont wanna go in the lava, which btw....

is a bit weak, if you constantly jump, you only take about 1 dmg per second in that lava. Fainting
« Last Edit: 2003-02-09, 03:39 by Daedalus » Logged
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #9 on: 2003-02-09, 03:40 »

Personally, I LIKE the low-damage lava. It should be a HAZARD not a friggin DEATHTRAP.

I've always hated the q3 standard lava damage, and even the SLIME damage is excessive.

Also, I haven't played it with PEOPLE yet, so I don't know how well it connects and plays. Perhaps someone can put up a server running the map?
« Last Edit: 2003-02-09, 03:42 by ConfusedUs » Logged
Daedalus

CyberDemon

« Reply #10 on: 2003-02-09, 03:49 »

i agree that the VQ3 lava/slime is overpowered, but thats a little low, should maybe be 10 dmg per second instead of 5
or however much it was, correct me if im wrong Slipgate - Smile
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #11 on: 2003-02-09, 09:30 »

The original doom damage was 5, and that's where I'm keeping it
Yeah I'm aware of the place they get stuck after grabbing the invisibility, I'm tried everything and they just wont jump in the lava so, that's that

As for more health and armor, I'll see what I can do without totally destroying the gameplay. I personally think it works quite well now, no weapon is super far from any piece of health

EDIT - I fixed the stairs already, the guys at Quake3World found that for me
« Last Edit: 2003-02-09, 09:47 by Devlar » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #12 on: 2003-02-09, 11:19 »

Hmm... I wonder if there's some way you could "toss" the bots into the lava without it tossing a normal player into it?  I don't know much about mapping in that respect, although if push comes to shove you could put a small barrier in there that would trigger on invis pickup and shove ANYONE in.  Cheap, but it would keep the bots from camping there.  I got the grate problem too, but at a longer distance.  Personally I think the feel of the map is good.  Lots of twists and turns, although if I remember wasn't there a berserk pack on the original?  Medkit = berserk in Gen.  I don't remember if there was a BFG on the original map or not, don't think there was, but if I'm wrong I'm curious as to how it would play with one.  As it is it plays good so far.  I loaded up Doom, Phobos, Crash, and Klesk, and the variety on the gameplay was quite good.  They tended to congregate around the main downstairs, which in a real game would probably happen anyway.  I saw them use everything from the pistol to the plasma rifle.  So far I love it.  The map could use some more shadowing, a LOT more shadowing, in the hallways.  Egyptian tombs had a tendency to be dark except for where the torches were on the walls, afterall.  It will also show off dynamic lights really good once additive lighting is completed.  I say enough ambience to keep the halls visible but not overly bright, and with the torches lighting up their respective areas could look really polished on an already great map.  I'll load it onto the beta test server so our beta crew can test it live if they have the map and want to load it on the server with the latest test build. Slipgate - Smile

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #13 on: 2003-02-09, 12:04 »

That's Genius! But rather than hooking it up to the entity of the invisibility I'll put a trigger down on that area with a Func_plat with a Botclip brush. Although I'll need to figure out how to make the sound turn off on the func_plat brush. Bloody good Idea Phoenix
Daedalus

CyberDemon

« Reply #14 on: 2003-02-09, 13:44 »

It did have a beserker.. it was right next to the invisibility

About the grenade launcher placement... you could make it into the "exit" but say have it take you to the first room of the next level E4M4, which could contain the grenade launcher

Would be good idea IMO  Thumbs up!  Who's Your Daddy?

Ok, just played the first room of Unruly Evil (E4M4)
Its a good layout and doesnt go on and on Slipgate - Smile

The choice is yours
« Last Edit: 2003-02-09, 13:50 by Daedalus » Logged
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #15 on: 2003-02-09, 20:04 »

dead please release barrels of fun first .

and those anone knows her snugglebunny is ???
Daedalus

CyberDemon

« Reply #16 on: 2003-02-09, 22:52 »

gameskeeper, please read what i say properly before saying shit Slipgate - Smile
you'll look alot less stupid

i wasnt saying i was going to map Unruly Evil, i was just giving a suggestion as to what dev could do for the exit of Sever the sphinx.

Btw, i keep reading the name of the map as Sever the sphincter Slipgate - Laugh  Fainting  Idiot  Mine's Bigger!  :wub:
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #17 on: 2003-02-10, 06:49 »

I want to know one thing, do any of you have a problem with the continuity and gameplay of the map so far? with the exception of the invisibility thing?

As for the berserk, I'll put it on the map if someone can tell me where it wouldn't unbalance the map, putting it right next to the invisibility is suicidally unbalancing

The following things are on either my done or to-do list for the next beta
- Fixed the Bevels around the jumppads
- Fixed A texture unalignment
- Fixing fence disappearing (the shader is being a bloody bastard)
- I'm still debating with myself as what to do with that las corridor, I might just turn it into the same one as the earlier one to preserve the theme. I will probibly decrease the amount of lighting in that last corridor

Anything else that should be on this list?
« Last Edit: 2003-02-10, 06:55 by Devlar » Logged
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #18 on: 2003-02-10, 09:25 »

Since the berserker only works in melee it might be ok to even place it near other powerups.

I have a question for you devlar what q3map do u use? and with which swtiches?
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #19 on: 2003-02-10, 12:01 »

Your standard GTK final
Q3map2 -bsp -vis -light -fast -filter -super2 -bounce 8 BSPC -optimize -forcesidesvisible

Yes but if I add berserker it'll show up as a medikit in vannila quake3

No comment on my continuity?
« Last Edit: 2003-02-10, 12:04 by Devlar » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: