2024-03-29, 02:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: D2M3 - The Gantlet. (Done.)  (Read 37401 times)
..::WHAT!?

Ogre

« on: 2004-06-02, 08:16 »

Well once upon a time, long, long ago. In a galaxy far, far away.  I was known at these forums for a breif period of time.  I originally introduced this map to Phoenix on ICQ.  The map had some problems, and so I left to work on it... kinda.  After computer issues, and corrupt files. I kinda just left it alone, until one day I was bored and decided it deserved one more go.

...And so finally, if you still care, and if you would be at all interested in using this level in the Generations mod please feel free to do so, all I ask is that my readme is included with the level in some way.  And if you don't want to keep the level for the Generations mod, well thats cool too.  But at least some feed back would be apreciated.  Slipgate - Wink

Pic:

Linky's to more pic's..

http://host116.ipowerweb.com/~corleone/lar...s/lvlpic1_J.jpg

http://host116.ipowerweb.com/~corleone/lar...s/lvlpic2_J.jpg

http://host116.ipowerweb.com/~corleone/lar...s/lvlpic3_J.jpg

http://host116.ipowerweb.com/~corleone/lar...s/lvlpic4_J.jpg

and the Download link...

http://corleonefamilymafia.com/The_Gantlet.zip

- Thanks to all for your time.

ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2004-06-02, 13:11 »

The odd thing is that this map popped up in a discussion thread on our beta testers board less than two weeks ago, and we were seriously considering using it.

It's nice to see it being offered even before we asked.

Thanks man, there's a very good chance of this one going in the next release. Slipgate - Wink
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2004-06-02, 13:15 »

Did you know... I have doomish textures, including (animated) monitors, that might look nice in there somewhere? If you're willing to take a look, for consistency's sake (or just because they might look prettier Slipgate - Wink), they're in the Laced Neptune/Textures sticky thread.

Map looks sweet btw. Very clearly nostalgic and moodily Doomish - good work!

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #3 on: 2004-06-02, 14:34 »

This was one of my fav maps on DooM II. It looks super on the screenshots! I have to download it!! And the textures look very good (doom 2 retexturing project?).
« Last Edit: 2004-06-02, 14:38 by [KruzadeR] » Logged

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2004-06-02, 15:02 »

(doom 2 retexturing project?)

I don't think so - from what I've seen, the 'official' doom2 retexturing project has godawful material. Most of the artists in there know how to rip original doom textures, scale them up, and smear an overlay on it. Others know how to rip the work of others (mine, for instance) and only a handful know what they're doing.
I'm seeing a lot of original Quake3 textures, and, I think, one of my crate textures in there.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?

Ogre

« Reply #5 on: 2004-06-02, 17:13 »

Quote from: Tabun

I don't think so - from what I've seen, the 'official' doom2 retexturing project has godawful material. Most of the artists in there know how to rip original doom textures, scale them up, and smear an overlay on it. Others know how to rip the work of others (mine, for instance) and only a handful know what they're doing.
I'm seeing a lot of original Quake3 textures, and, I think, one of my crate textures in there.
Yeah if you take a look in the readme I credited you for some textures.  I also used some texture sets from HFX, and the DooM tech wall textures actually did come from the Doom2 re-texturing project.  

I'll have to take a look at the sticky and see what else Tabun has whipped up.  Slipgate - Wink

I am happy to see you all like the level!  I was actually contacted via E-Mail by Tekhead.  But its been a while since I heard from him.

::EDIT::

BTW - I do have some old DooM music tracks I thought about putting into this level for effect, but I don't know if that would be 100% legal...  Meh, I just think it needs some creepy music to finish it off. Thumbs up!

It would increase the D/L size by about 3 or 4 megs though.
« Last Edit: 2004-06-02, 17:18 by ..::WHAT!? » Logged
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #6 on: 2004-06-02, 20:38 »

It's awesome to know you're doing well =]

As soon as I get off from work, I'll give this new version a good look-over.
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #7 on: 2004-06-02, 20:54 »

I'm talking about the DooM2 Re-texturing project at JDoom Modelyard

ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #8 on: 2004-06-02, 21:23 »

Looks very nice what!? i''ll download it now and test it out! Slipgate - Smile

Ogre

« Reply #9 on: 2004-06-02, 21:24 »

Quote from: [KruzadeR
] I'm talking about the DooM2 Re-texturing project at JDoom Modelyard
Me too, I am talking about the tech wall texture you see here: http://host116.ipowerweb.com/~corleone/lar...s/lvlpic1_J.jpg

@ Tekhead, thanks... I'll look forward to that.  I actually just had a chance to load the level into Generations.  I think I will be changing the one of the Grenade lunchers to a lightning gun so it appears as a chaingun to the DooM class.  I'll have to mess with it some more tonight, I am gonna be out the rest of the eavning.

- Take it easy guys.

::EDIT::

- Thanks ReBoOt  Slipgate - Wink
« Last Edit: 2004-06-02, 21:25 by ..::WHAT!? » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #10 on: 2004-06-02, 21:45 »

Ahh, very good!  I look forward to running around this one!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #11 on: 2004-06-02, 21:45 »

This map rocks. I like the new take on the BFG secret esp.

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #12 on: 2004-06-02, 21:52 »

Quote from: ..::WHAT!?
@ Tekhead, thanks... I'll look forward to that.  I actually just had a chance to load the level into Generations.  I think I will be changing the one of the Grenade lunchers to a lightning gun so it appears as a chaingun to the DooM class.  I'll have to mess with it some more tonight, I am gonna be out the rest of the eavning.

Awesome. We've had problems in the past getting authors to change minor details for us. We appreciate all the help we can get. Slipgate - Wink (For those of you who don't know, the only reason we don't have Ziggurat Vertigo is because the version we found includes a railgun. The original author lost the .map or something...)

Also...

Would you be willing to put together a new version of Final Doom Map 13 (Vesperas)? The version in our mappacks is absolutely hideous and plays awfully, and is most likely going to be removed in the next release.

However, it's almost an iconic map to us, and we would really really like to see an up-to-date version of it, made from scratch.

Full credit will be given, of course. Slipgate - Wink
« Last Edit: 2004-06-02, 22:21 by ConfusedUs » Logged
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #13 on: 2004-06-02, 23:06 »

Everybody making all these sweet maps lately... it makes me want to finish my own that's been in the works for about two years now. But at the same time, it also makes me wonder if it'll be able to compete with all this stuff you people are whipping up.

Right... my ramblings aside, tis an awesome map there, ..::WHAT!?. The Gantlet was one of my favorite Doom2 maps. I really have no idea why... but it was. I'm happy to see it recreated, and remixed, at the level and quality you put into it. Thumbs up!

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase

Ogre

« Reply #14 on: 2004-06-03, 04:05 »

Thanks it means a lot guys.

This map rocks. I like the new take on the BFG secret esp.

Thanks, I was scratching my head for a while on that one, I almost left it out, it was just to easy to jump into the pit and get it.

Would you be willing to put together a new version of Final Doom Map 13 (Vesperas)? The version in our mappacks is absolutely hideous and plays awfully, and is most likely going to be removed in the next release.

Its possible, Can you tell me if its level 13 of "TNT" or level 13 of "PLUTONIA" I looked for the level name "Vesperas" in both wads and I just didn't see it.

Once I know how big the level is I'll let you know.  Slipgate - Wink
« Last Edit: 2004-06-03, 04:06 by ..::WHAT!? » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #15 on: 2004-06-03, 04:20 »

Vesperas was actually part of the Master Levels for Doom II.  Send me a PM if you have trouble locating it.  There's a few 99e-ish things I might need to bring up that would aid in the map design that I don't want to discuss publicly at this point.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #16 on: 2004-06-03, 17:17 »

looks like sombody lost a little bit to much against pho  Slipgate - Ownage

- I do have some old DooM music tracks

/me has them all . if anyone wants a specific 1 .

for the master levels , if you look hard enough on the internet you can find the wad file somewhere . else I can always send it to ya .
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #17 on: 2004-06-03, 19:23 »

Quote from: games keeper
for the master levels, if you look hard enough on the internet you can find the wad file somewhere ...
 Slipgate - Off Topic Any ideas where? I've spent the last 3 years trying to find 'em!

*gets down on knees*

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #18 on: 2004-06-03, 20:12 »

BTW - I do have some old DooM music tracks I thought about putting into this level for effect, but I don't know if that would be 100% legal... Meh, I just think it needs some creepy music to finish it off
I recomend going to Doomworld's music section. They have lots of remixes, so you don't have to directly rip Id's stuff and incur legal wrath.

http://www.doomworld.com/classicdoom/info/...c.php?wad=remix
« Last Edit: 2004-06-03, 20:14 by Gnam » Logged

Ogre

« Reply #19 on: 2004-06-03, 21:35 »

Update!

Updated the link on the first page to a new version of the level after following some advice from Tekhead.  You can also get the link here: http://corleonefamilymafia.com/The_Gantlet.zip

- New items / some new item placement

- The lift that blocks the BFG pit will now crush you if you are a bit too slow.  Slipgate - Smile~

- Torches in the center of the map now burn you if you stand on them.

- Some cosmetic touch ups... ect.

Anyway d/l and see for yourself.

-------------------------------------------
@ Games keeper, thanks but I have a copy of the wad now.

@ Gnam, Cool I'll check out that site ASAP.  Thumbs up!
« Last Edit: 2004-06-03, 21:36 by ..::WHAT!? » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: