2024-03-28, 14:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: D2M3 - The Gantlet. (Done.)  (Read 37391 times)
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #20 on: 2004-06-03, 21:59 »

- The lift that blocks the BFG pit will now crush you if you are a bit too slow.

Bad idea. BAAAAD idea. Especially with the water there. Earth and Strogg have a hard enough time getting there anyway. It's possible, but tough.

Do you really want the only class capable of getting the BFG every time without worrying to be Doom?

Baaaaad idea.
..::WHAT!?

Ogre

« Reply #21 on: 2004-06-03, 22:02 »

Quote from: ConfusedUs

Bad idea. BAAAAD idea. Especially with the water there. Earth and Strogg have a hard enough time getting there anyway. It's possible, but tough.

Do you really want the only class capable of getting the BFG every time without worrying to be Doom?

Baaaaad idea.
Earth is hard to get in there, but Earth does make it. I have had no trouble with slipgate or strogg.

... Meh its still up in the air, I'll see what everyone thinks and go from there.
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #22 on: 2004-06-03, 22:12 »

Downloading as we speak. Slipgate - Wink

Slipgate - Off Topic again.
QUOTE: "... thanks but I have a copy of the wad now."

Where did you find it?

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #23 on: 2004-06-03, 22:33 »

I'm just going to add that any directly converted or ripped piece of music is breaking copyright laws.

However, if you remixed a version yourself, of gained permission of someone who did, then it's perfectly alright. See Not Quite Earth (myk_doom2 is the map name) in our mappacks
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #24 on: 2004-06-03, 22:57 »

Just had a run around the map there. Much less chance of Doom or Earth players camping the central area with the Chaingun/Gat being in a better spot.

Liking what I'm seeing, just one question - TWO chainsaws?

Ogre

« Reply #25 on: 2004-06-03, 23:01 »

Quote from: scalliano
Just had a run around the map there. Much less chance of Doom or Earth players camping the central area with the Chaingun/Gat being in a better spot.

Liking what I'm seeing, just one question - TWO chainsaws?
heh... opps, I just realised that one myself, I ment to change one out for an ammo box but I forgot.

@ ConfusedUs, yeah I am going to try and find a good re-mix to put in there. and I will be sure to get permission.

... Has anybody else tried the BFG pit with the Slipgate and Strogg classes yet?
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #26 on: 2004-06-03, 23:13 »

Haven't tried it with Strogg, but I tried Earth and got flattened every time. Every other class can make it with no problems.

Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #27 on: 2004-06-03, 23:54 »

I can get in easily every time using Strogg and Slipgate (without strafejumping - just running from the button to the BFG spawn). Earth does need to gain some speed via strafejumping in order to get in there, but what is he going to get? More gats? That area is insignificant for him anyway, so it's allright if he can't get casually get in. It's possible for him to make it though, one just has to know how to make him move.

I like how the roof is now clipped off, but still has a lot of headroom. Excellent =]

The UAC wall logo in the Medkit room is a cool touch too.

Perhaps for the YA, it could be placed up on a small altar-like platform similar to the green armor in e1m1, still highlighted in yellow lighting? Just a suggestion - its location now works, but it could be better.

All-in-all, nice touchup  Thumbs up!  Thumbs up!
« Last Edit: 2004-06-04, 00:12 by Tekhead » Logged
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #28 on: 2004-06-04, 03:08 »

Not to be a nitpick, but the level's name is spelled "The Gauntlet." Slipgate - Tongue

Nice work on the map. I have little trouble with any class except Earth to get to the BFG room, though I got smashed as Strogg a few times. The BFG room isn't of much use to Earth anyways, the Gats are easy to find on their own.

Ogre

« Reply #29 on: 2004-06-04, 03:26 »

Quote from: Footman
Not to be a nitpick, but the level's name is spelled "The Gauntlet." Slipgate - Tongue

Thumbs up!

Nice work on the map. I have little trouble with any class except Earth to get to the BFG room, though I got smashed as Strogg a few times. The BFG room isn't of much use to Earth anyways, the Gats are easy to find on their own.

- Thanks.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #30 on: 2004-06-04, 03:42 »

As of the last version I played (didn't check out the new version yet) there was also a large ammo box in the BFG room that would really help out an Earther short on bullets. That's ample reason to get in there.

The insta-kill is a bad idea to me.
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #31 on: 2004-06-04, 03:55 »

As minute of a detail that this is...

What is the alternative to crushing? I think it does a good job of punishing the slow. Having it deal no damage is silly and causes a strange clipping issue - also it could be opened indefinitely. Having it deal light damage would have the same effect. One alternative would be perhaps to put a hidden teleportation field in the celing to throw them in a hellish suicide pit (like the end of doom episode 1)... but that'd take some effort Slipgate - Wink

Crushing works Slipgate - Smile
« Last Edit: 2004-06-04, 13:15 by Tekhead » Logged
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #32 on: 2004-06-04, 03:57 »

Dealing a small amount of damage is fine to me.

Of course, if he wanted to give it a Gen touch, he could put a few shooters in there set to go off immediately after the door closed. Room o' Doom, eh? Slipgate - Smile

Ogre

« Reply #33 on: 2004-06-04, 05:45 »

What if I made the BFG pit so that it took away 100% heath?  That way the only way you would survive is if you went and got the Mega Heath before getting "crushed".
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #34 on: 2004-06-04, 08:54 »

What about just adding a touch of nukeage, or that evil damaging water that sometimes showed up in Doom?  Make the floor hostile and you'll want to leave in a hurry.  I think it would work better than a squish-o-matic.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...

Ogre

« Reply #35 on: 2004-06-04, 10:51 »

Quote from: Phoenix
What about just adding a touch of nukeage, or that evil damaging water that sometimes showed up in Doom?  Make the floor hostile and you'll want to leave in a hurry.  I think it would work better than a squish-o-matic.
No, I am just talking about the door way that lets you in.

You hit a switch and you have a certian amount of time to make through the door and into the pit, if you don't make it you get crushed.  But some classes are slower then others and ConfusedUs is concerned this will tip the balance in the game so that Earth class won't have much of a chance, so I am trying to find a happy medium.  But to be honest I kinda like the crusher.
« Last Edit: 2004-06-04, 10:51 by ..::WHAT!? » Logged
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #36 on: 2004-06-04, 14:47 »

I'm Earth and I only losse 5 hp. It's not much.

Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #37 on: 2004-06-04, 14:49 »

But I don't need to go there. I just grab myself 2 Gats and voil? BFG for me. Slipgate - Laugh

Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #38 on: 2004-06-04, 15:08 »

Exactly - that area is insignificant for Earth, so there's no reason to be concerned for that class' sake Slipgate - Grin

Ogre

« Reply #39 on: 2004-06-04, 17:30 »

Well this sucks...

Right now I am having trouble getting a full compile out of my level.  It just sits at the Vis compile line for hours until I finally get a message from windows that says my system memory is low and that its denying programs to access my system memory until windows finds a way to sort itself out.

However...

The level will compile if I use fast-vis.  This is just odd. :/

Anybody know what would cause this or how to fix it?

::EDIT::

Well on a more upbeat note I just got the ok from Ashley Carr to use her re-mix of "Count Down To Death" on this level, which is the original music this level had in Doom2.  Thumbs up!
« Last Edit: 2004-06-04, 18:29 by ..::WHAT!? » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: