2024-04-25, 04:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Return to the Cistern  (Read 62990 times)
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #40 on: 2009-10-05, 01:59 »

Still going at it. Slowly.

tabq1dm5_pre18.jpg

R_speeds are maxing out at just over 10k now, and that's with items thrown in. A little higher than I went for, but still acceptable these days, I think.

Still need to fix some things, add technical stuff like (bot)clipping, and still have to think up a better item layout. I will make an alpha version with the "pure" layout soon. :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #41 on: 2009-10-07, 03:12 »

Ok. Finally managed to get something close to a playable version wrapped up.

This is "alpha 1":
Download: tabq1dm5_alpha1.zip

You know the drill.

The map is presented as the final "default" version will be, but this is obviously the "purist" version. If anything is different from Quake 1, let me know. Note: I have deliberately placed the lightning gun at a more sensible position.

A few side notes:
  • Bots work, but aren't tweaked in any way yet. I played a round against them, and was pleasantly surprised by their behaviour. Even without any clipping and tweaking, they seem to get all the weapons and even go for the button and the MH just fine. They also seem to be able to exit the water intelligently, which is extremely good news.
  • Aesthetics are pretty much done. I don't think I can add any more detail (map is heavy enough as it is).
  • As with tabd2map01, I will make a Q3A-(+Gen)-friendly "default" version once the biggest problems are fixed with the alpha. This item layout totally sucks in VQ3, I think. :]
  • Clipping has not been done yet. You can still pass through torches, get stuck behind edges, et cetera. Water clipping has been done though, so if you have any difficulty gettting out of the pool, let me know!
  • I forgot a spectator spawn point. Slipgate - Shifty This means that the SP end-game podium is drawn at a deathmatch spawn and consequently looks messed up. Hopefully doesn't mess up anything else for this alpha test.
  • There's no ambient sound(s) yet. Well, there's a test wind sound which I'll probably keep, but sounds will be worked on some more (should I include another global button sound, like in tabd2map01?).

For those willing to test this map, here's a list of things I'd like to hear about:
  • Performance. This map is harder on the hardware than my previous one, averaging about 2k higher in "r_speeds." I did manage to keep the pk3 smaller, though, so texture load is lighter. If you get serious FPS drops in specific locations, let me know.
  • Weird texture errors, sparklies (glitter, seams, etc.), lines in the sky (shouldn't be any, this time), z-fighting. I haven't found any myself, so anything you come across may be important. (Exception: I know there are some untextured brush surfaces in the roof of the long hallway. On purpose, once clipping is in place you won't be able to see (through) those anymore.)
  • Errors (none in my console).
  • Gameplay issues - as pertaining to the architecture/layout and keeping in mind that the layout is still "pure". Ideas for the default version are welcome too!

That's it for now, I guess. Probably forgot something, but we'll see. :]
« Last Edit: 2009-10-07, 03:25 by Tabun » Logged

Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #42 on: 2009-10-07, 09:02 »

Wow, this is simply awesome. Tabun, you're an amazing artist man, this almost inspires me to go back to mapping. However I'm too busy competing in Quake Live right now to even think about going back into game development at the moment. This reminds me of Quake 1 and Painkiller, it's got that atmosphere to it. Good work as always buddy. =8]

ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #43 on: 2009-10-07, 11:41 »

Very nice looks on this map, havent tested it yet thought but once i get the time for it i will Slipgate - Smile
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #44 on: 2009-10-08, 19:42 »

Now that I can take a break from this stuff I've been working on, I'll try to get a good look at it today.  Slipgate - Thumbs up!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #45 on: 2009-10-08, 21:08 »

I haven't done a full testing on it, but one thing is glaringly different from Quake 1.  The walkway down in the water area does not exist at all in the original map, as well as the supporting stonework under the blind end of the walkway.  It was a pure swim down there, and the water was much deeper.  The Thunderbolt was near the pentagram for the sole reason of discharging into the water to take people with you, and if the pentagram was not available, you were taking a huge risk going after the Thunderbolt.  A lot of Q1 maps have the Thunderbolt in the water for the discharge aspect of it.  Why was the walkway added?  Doom - Huh?
« Last Edit: 2009-10-08, 21:11 by Phoenix » Logged

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #46 on: 2009-10-08, 22:16 »

The walkway was added, because swimming is not at all appreciated by the general pplayerbase in the Q3A environment. Nobody is used to seeing Q3 maps with huge bodies of water in them, and adding them mainly disrupts whatever speed was there in the gameflow to begin with.

Why I didn't start out with a really "pure" version of the map, is because I knew I would have to get rid of the huge body of water eventually. I really don't want that in for any non-pure version that I would make. It's easy enough to take out the walkway (just rise up the water level and remove a few brushes), but I didn't want to have to re-think the looks and vis-work of a map after perfecting one with an empty/purist water area.

Frankly, I don't like the Cistern's original layout, as far as items and water placement are concerned. It is extremely lop-sided and relies on two annoying gimmicks that define the way it must be played. Whole areas of the map are pretty much useless to even bother trying to control, too. That, I guess, just means less motivation for me to try and go for a pure version right off the bat. I just had to put some items in there to release a test-version, and the easiest way was to use the Q1 layout for that. I don't know if I can best just scrap the idea of making a pure version, do it first, or do it after making a properly playable Q3A version...

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #47 on: 2009-10-08, 23:25 »

The walkway was added, because swimming is not at all appreciated by the general pplayerbase in the Q3A environment. Nobody is used to seeing Q3 maps with huge bodies of water in them, and adding them mainly disrupts whatever speed was there in the gameflow to begin with.

For a Q3-specific standpoint, I can understand that, however I'm looking at everything primarily from a nostalgia standpoint, playing the role of the Q1 "purist" as it were.  If this were not a remake map I wouldn't even bring it up.  I had no idea that Q3 players were such landlubbers.  Slipgate - Smirk

It's easy enough to take out the walkway (just rise up the water level and remove a few brushes), but I didn't want to have to re-think the looks and vis-work of a map after perfecting one with an empty/purist water area.

From a design standpoint, that is logical, and I have something to add to that below as well.

Frankly, I don't like the Cistern's original layout, as far as items and water placement are concerned. It is extremely lop-sided and relies on two annoying gimmicks that define the way it must be played.

Cistern isn't the most popular Q1 map from my understanding.  It's like Lava Tomb for Q2.  You love it, or hate it.  What you've done with the map is make it absolutely beautiful, something I did not think was possible with a Q1 map.  From a strict gameplay perspective, backing off from the nostalgia angle a bit, I can understand the desire to make the Lightning Gun more easily accessible and keep the pace up.  In Gen or Q3 it's a lot more useful than in Q1.  The Thunderbolt is actually pretty hard to use in Q1 deathmatch besides diving in and suiciding with it.  I do like map gimicks, like the Frag Pipe, the crusher in Dead Meat, etc, but I can understand overdoing it as well.  Either way, this map makes me want to play it, whereas the first time I played Cistern in Quakeworld I honestly thought it was a community map.  Apparently many servers don't run it.

I don't know if I can best just scrap the idea of making a pure version, do it first, or do it after making a properly playable Q3A version...

Is it possible to make a "quick and dirty" "pure" version that simply lacks the walkway and higher water level as you mentioned above?  The Thunderbolt and ammo would obviously have to either be moved back to the invuln spawn or else dropped in the water somewhere.  This would give a baseline to compare a pure vs non-pure geometry.  Let me give it a comparison run.  If it works out with just those minor changes, then the pure version would be "in the bag" after you finalize the clipping, etc.  Once the map geometry is set, just remove walkway, raise water, move a few items, and purist version is done.  At that point, all you'd have to focus on is the item placement for non-pure version with included walkway.

There is the possibility that taking the walkway out and raising the water might suck as well, and not work in a final version.  That's what I want to find out.   Slipgate - Thumbs up!

Now for testing so far.  As for bugs, I found a few, and fortunately they're all fairly minor.  Screenshots and buglist are here:

http://www.wireheadstudios.org/phoenix/editing/tabq1dm5_bugs.zip

The only visual gripe I could find that's not a bug is in the water texture shader.  Part of the water surface moves, and part of it does not.  I did not know if that was intentional, but the texture that does not move makes it almost looke like transparent stone.  I think some minor agitation to that texture would help there.

Gameplay I have not tested yet.  The overall look of the map is damned impressive.  I'm not normally one for Gothic because so many people screw it up.  This looks more authentic and, as I said earlier, reminds me of some of the better levels from Unreal.  I'll get back to you on gameplay when I get a chance to properly run through with some bots.

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #48 on: 2009-10-09, 00:25 »

I had the same feelings about the texture of the water. It almost seemed too stone-like to be water. Other than that, I didn't notice much.. except for a couple of the things Phoenix already mentioned.

It was a joy to run through this. I know this might sound cliche or corny, but it felt like this place could actually exist.. in a weird fantasy-ish way. Honestly though, and this is also going to sound stupid, my favorite part was the bobbing teleports. It's subtle, but it adds and explains a lot.. and also made me say, "Damn! Why didn't I think of that?"

As for the purist Q1 layout.. all of your health packs are the smaller variety, where some of them should be the larger ones. On that note, most of the plasma spawns should also be bullet spawns (smaller nail boxes), as there's only one large nail box in the original Cistern.. but I really can't fault swapping them at all, and I doubt many will complain about that, but I figured I should mention it anyway. Perhaps keep at least one or two as bullets though?

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #49 on: 2009-10-09, 00:43 »

@Pho:
Ok! Good catches, though some things I don't quite understand (duplicate faces above one doorway have no detectable error in the .map).

Don't waste too much time and effort playtesting at this point. I'm currently adding clipping, and the bots will behave differently once they're in place. Many gripes with getting stuck on walls will also be gone once I'm done with that. Finally, any stutter related to bots will be resolved (and the .aas file in the pk3 should be much smaller Slipgate - Smile).

Alpha1 is actually only an aesthetics/performance test. Once I get the visual bugs out of the way, I'll make that pure version (will take some tinkering though, since I'll have to adjust the pentagram-alcove to fit the higher water level and make room for the thunderbolt. :]

Now, regarding the bugs:

385: Don't know what's going on here.. shouldn't be happening, .map file is in order. If it doesn't show up in normal use, I'll ignore it. Otherwise I don't know what to do about it...

387: No z-fighting on my end, and shouldn't happen. I'll take another look. I think it has to do with the way r_fullbright 1 duplicates all the surfaces..

388: Found and fixed.
390: Found and fixed.
393/4: Found and fixed. Good catch!

@Mink:
I had a run-around in (Fuh)quake, noting the item layout, but I didn't catch those differences. I would like the pure version to be as Quake-like as possible in this respect, so I think I'll try and fix that. Apparently I can't trust my (and the only working) Quake version for that. :/
If someone can double-check this and point out the precise differences, I'd be much obliged.

As for the water, what I was going for, was a combination of ripples and dirt floating on the surface. Making it all realistic is nearly impossible, alas. I had the dirt layout with a more aggressive level of turbulance first, but that looked wrong. I can up it some, but I'm afraid it won't get much better than this. Maybe I should remove that dirt layer altogether.. Not sure yet.

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #50 on: 2009-10-09, 01:00 »

It's a bit harder to tell the difference between the health packs in old q1.. all there is to differentiate them is a blinking light on the side. If you still have my version of the cistern, I kept the health layout true to the original.. not counting the smaller 5h packs that push you past 100, of course.

I also ran through the map again, and noticed z-fighting on the bloody handprints in MH room.
screenie

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #51 on: 2009-10-09, 01:29 »

Uh oh. Could it be that the polygonoffset shader keyword is not working properly in Generations? I cannot reproduce the z-fighting in VQ3. Still have to test the map thoroughly in Gens myself! D'oh.

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #52 on: 2009-10-09, 02:03 »

The ones that should be larger health packs are:
By the grenade launcher - Screenie
By the teleport closest to the 'pillar room' - Screenie
On the uppermost walkway, at the corner by the MH door button - Screenie

And as far as I know, the only large nail box on the original map is the one on the uppermost walkway.. pretty much right above the two lightning ammo spawns (Screenie). The rest are all small boxes. Of course, this kills anyone who actively likes using plasma weapons in default q3.. and even Gen if they aren't Slipgate.

And yea.. all of my playing is done in Gen, guess that's my bad. Then again, perhaps it's a good thing?

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #53 on: 2009-10-09, 02:23 »

Not so worried about VQ3 play with the pure layout anyway - besides, you get a lot of ammo with the weapon anyway.. :] (The weirdest thing for VQ3 is probably that there are plenty of shotgun shells lying around, but nothing to fire them with Slipgate - Smile)

Gen-testing is good, ofcourse. I just somehow seem to save it for after normal Q3-testing. No good reason other than that I have desktop shortcuts to quickly launch my map, and Generations takes a minute longer to load any map. ;]

Thanks for the update, I'll adapt the layout accordingly.
« Last Edit: 2009-10-09, 02:26 by Tabun » Logged

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #54 on: 2009-10-09, 05:01 »

Whoops!  The z-fighting with the polygon offset is Gen-specific, and I know why.  I have r_znear forced to "1" in Gen, the default is 4.  Setting that in Q3 reproduced the glitch.  The reason I have r_znear forced has to do with some weapons clipping the first-person view.  I'll have to look at how else r_znear is used in Q3, specifically with polygonoffset.  This is definitely not a map bug.  Good catch there Mink!

Edit:  Well, this creates a little unhappy extra work for me.  In .99f you can't do anything about the zfighting, but for the current non-public version I unlocked r_znear.  It only makes the zfighting stop at a value of 3 or more.  Unfortunately that affects 3 gun models at normal resolutions, and I haven't checked out widescreen resolutions yet.  Hopefully the models can be fixed by a simple scale and positional adjustment.  I'll check widescreen first.  Serves me right for using a cvar hack instead of fixing it the "proper" way.
« Last Edit: 2009-10-09, 05:45 by Phoenix » Logged

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #55 on: 2009-10-09, 09:44 »

I did a run through with some bots.  With 5 Slipgate bots running around, I noticed no slowdowns in FPS, and that's using the new particle code in the test build.  I did notice one issue with bots though.  It's the same issue that deadmeat has, and that's occasionally it will hitch the game when bots are present.  I noticed it most when the bots went for the button, but it seemed to happen in other places as well, like right in front of the door.  I know the Q2 Gladiator bots had this problem when falling into lava.  I don't know what causes it, but it's definitely a Q3 bug somewhere in the bot code.  This is only the second map I have seen this on, so there's got to be some kind of similarity between what's happening on tabq1dm5 and deadmeat, where it's a lot worse.  Bots are only supposed to "think" every so many msec, default setting is 100.  I'd love to know what causes this.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #56 on: 2009-10-09, 12:43 »

Well, like I said, the botclipping is not in place in alpha1 yet. That means that the map is horribly complicated for bots. Proper botclipping hides stuff like complicated ceiling structures, wall damage and many little nooks and crannies of odd shapes. Basically the bots should "see" only a very blocky, simplified version of the map.

I've placed player and botclipping in 3/4ths of the map at the moment, and already the bots are behaving more intelligently. I haven't really checked the difference in stutter, but that should already be less or even gone at this point. (The .AAS also dropped from 1.7Mb in the alpha to 1Mb..)

Weird bug with the r_znear cvar.. If polygonoffset wasn't used so freely (now, anyways) in the Q3 Mapping community, it sounds like it might have even been better to just remove the decals. Isn't there some way to split up the r_znear behavior for the weapon scene and the world scene, or something?

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #57 on: 2009-10-09, 18:05 »

New alpha:
tabq1dm5_alpha2.zip

Clipping should be in order in this version and bots should behave better. Haven't changed the water section yet, but all the mentioned glitches and layout errors should be fixed (where relevant).

Edit:
Question: I can make the MH/RL-room work so that the door never closes as long as someone is inside it. Does that sound like a good idea (as a camping deterrent)? Alternatively, I thought of setting up an extra button that pumps a couple of grenades into the room (for the non-pure version only, ofcourse). How does either of those ideas sound?
« Last Edit: 2009-10-09, 19:04 by Tabun » Logged

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #58 on: 2009-10-09, 21:33 »

I would say, door stay open for anti-camp on the pure version, and grenade trap on non-pure.  As for the extra button... I remember a brick sticking out somewhere near one of the teleporters.  Slipgate - Wink

Unfortunately r_znear is pretty global, and the view weapons are drawn in the world scene.  They're just depth hacked to not visibly clip into walls.  I'll have to look at fixing the weapon model issue the hard way.
« Last Edit: 2009-10-09, 21:36 by Phoenix » Logged

ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #59 on: 2009-10-09, 21:39 »

god everything disapered what i wrote cuz i pushed the wrong button so here we go again:

Had a few mins to run around your map, will do an more extensive test later.
First the looks on the map is awsome, very good! Slipgate - Smile
however i just feel its abit too big compared to the original.
I rember when i did play it was ppls actually used the nailgunz on this since it was perfect to shootdown the corridors with it. (dont have quake 1 installed on my laptop so can't compare but will do once i get home)

Pho already said it about the water, im not very sure this bridge fits in but it might be cuz im abit of q1 purist.

And to answear your question: dont do a thing about the MH/RL room it's good as it is, one of the point of this map was to actually "own" the RL/MH room and the suprise to find out someone's camping the room then you get an close vision of a rocket towards your face Slipgate - Smile (not that i like camping but it made the map fun)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: