2024-04-27, 23:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Railguns vs Nailguns (Which weapon?)  (Read 28309 times)
shambler

Icon of Sin

« on: 2004-02-02, 20:29 »

As the local representative for the IUS (International Union of Slipgaters) I have been called on by our members to protest in the strongest terms at the use of railguns in generations levels. In at least 2 levels fellow slipgaters have raced against stroggs to the top of the level only to find a supernail gun! Yes we have the best rockets, but the nails just travel too slow!
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2004-02-02, 20:41 »

Moved to GenArena forum where it belongs
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #2 on: 2004-02-02, 21:10 »

Sorry I put it in the wrong area. Im new to online chat etc.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2004-02-02, 21:12 »

Not a problem

Now, as for the nail speed, we've been considering speeding them up, and we might do some internal testing on it. However, they're 100% true to q1 speeds right now. They move at the exact same speed as the rockets.

It's just not that fast compared to the Doom and Q3 plasmaguns.
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #4 on: 2004-02-02, 21:26 »

I think that the lag or ping? has a bad effect as i never seem to hit anything with them. i'm just not used to playing with lag mind, as i've only just got broardband, so if i wanted deathmatch i cranked up the reaper (remember him?) or played UT. I intend to plactace a while with Gen bots when I have time so i can do better this saturday night.
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #5 on: 2004-02-02, 21:34 »

I think I've killed - maybe - 2 people with the nailgun.. Of course, I'm not very good so that might have something to do with it... ;p
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #6 on: 2004-02-02, 21:45 »

tell you what looked like a really good supernailgun, the one from the classic quake arena mod for quake3. as it span, these levers flew out sideways on it and gave the immpression of fantastic speed... or am i wrong? havent played it for over a year. still, the supernailgun just does not seem to have the power of the one in Q3, even if it is 'correct' in its power and nail speed etc.
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #7 on: 2004-02-02, 22:12 »

i mean the one in Q1.  tired now, time to put the strat down and go to bed
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #8 on: 2004-02-02, 23:02 »

Have you seen the horror that was 99a? Rockets everywhere and everyone was Slip because they were nearly unstoppable.
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #9 on: 2004-02-02, 23:18 »

Well the maps in Q1 is much smaller than the q3maps, that's why the nailes seemed to be faster.
btw i tried that classic quake mod, i did'nt like it... it just did'nt feel...quakeish enuff heh i rather play generations or if i really want to have the "Q1" feeling i play... Quake 1 Slipgate - Wink with mods like Tenebrae q1 kick ass even with todays graphical standards.
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #10 on: 2004-02-02, 23:39 »

Shambler, in my experience, the nails are very useful when someone is chasing you or up close.  I generally don't care for the Super Nail Gun as it chews through ammo way too fast so I tend to use the regular Nail Gun and have had a fair amount of success with it.  (I love the way the original Nail Gun fires as well.  Piston-pumping > Standard Rotary Fire Slipgate - Tongue)  

One thing I try to do is to angle my shots away from my opponent yet in the same direction he/she is running/strafing towards.  You'd be surprised as to just how much strafing and angling your shots away from your opponent aids in landing a successful hit.  I know because I'm the dumbass that tries to outrun/jump over rockets, and has yet to actually accomplish such a feat without dying or becoming considerably close to death.  Hope that helps you improve your game.

I also suggest you attend as many forum games as possible as several of the regulars are insanely good at Gen or just a general blast to play against.  The multi-class aspect really helps you focus in on building certain skills as well.
« Last Edit: 2004-02-03, 00:06 by Kain-Xavier » Logged

ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2004-02-02, 23:53 »

Reboot's post is correct. It's not the nails that are slow, it's the scale of the maps that make them SEEM slow.

Kain is also correct. The SNG is not a long-range spam weapon. It's a mid range 'leading' weapon.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #12 on: 2004-02-03, 00:13 »

Nails can be used much like the strogg hyperblaster. Not very effective in most head-to-head combat situations, but useful for delayed shots. Just pump a few into the hallway you expect your opponent to pop up (in say, a 1v1) and use it as covering fire. Worked wonders for me in Q2 1v1 games (especially on q2dm3, and especially when playing against people that weren't expecting my weird style of play Slipgate - Smile).
Anway, slipgate == shaft+rocketlauncher, the rest has always been.. well.. fairly useless :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
OmEgA-X

Beta Tester
Hans Grosse

« Reply #13 on: 2004-02-03, 01:43 »

i dont like depending on the RL or shaft when playin slipgate..i usually stick to grenades or the nail guns..but , to me, skippy's dont balance out like they did in Q1. i know everything is close to the original..but..i dunno, it just seems..off
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #14 on: 2004-02-03, 04:16 »

Not depending on the RL as slipgate is like not using the rail and chaingun for strogg.

Not a good way to win. Slipgate - Smile
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #15 on: 2004-02-03, 04:55 »

more like... not using the RL while Slipgate is like playing without a mouse.

Slipgate - Smile
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #16 on: 2004-02-03, 05:46 »

OR a keyboard!
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #17 on: 2004-02-03, 06:23 »

hm... being a keyboarder is enough of a handicap.
Sometimes they can getcha!
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #18 on: 2004-02-03, 09:30 »

Yes, a lot of the maps have been scaled up.  This is a long running complaint I've had regarding map conversions.  The nail speeds/damage values are exactly the same as in Q1 at present.  The Doom plasma actually flies a lot slower than the nails.  As for it being useless, have you ever run up against Teggo when he's running around with the super nailgun?  I find that I have no trouble leading people in a midrange fight in open ground with nails or the hyperblaster.  I've hyperblasted people to oblivion on Vesperas before.  You just have to know how to lead your target.

Still, we are considering a few minor tweaks to the Slipgate class, and increasing nail speed is one option on the table.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #19 on: 2004-02-03, 12:55 »

well i agree with most of the comments here and in outdoor type maps will now try out some of the generations that have 'longer range' weapons as it were. (I've been a bit shy about looking silly, having not played on line before ) but the Gen people are really decent. The only reason i got broardband last month was to play on line, and i am really enjoying it. (hanent figured out how to get a game of Q1 with telejano yet)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: