2024-03-29, 15:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 24
  Print  
Author Topic: What's coming up for 99e (skinwise)  (Read 157029 times)
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #80 on: 2004-03-23, 11:49 »

Those slippy armors looks damn nice tab! however im not that sure about those doom armors.. i think they should be more..uhm "beefier" they look abit to "thin" at the momment..
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #81 on: 2004-03-23, 14:49 »

Sweet! Personally I think the Doom armours look the part. The slippy ones KICK ASS!

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #82 on: 2004-03-23, 15:17 »

Yes the Doom armors may be considered 'placeholders', for all I care ;]
I know they suck. I think I'll try and do something with the Doom player model, so it actually looks like something Doom IS wearing. Anyway, I couldn't spot the plates in the insanely small original sprite? :]
Keep in mind that I had intended, at first, to use the original Q3 armor model, and recolor it for Doom - so this IS an improvement, of sorts..
« Last Edit: 2004-03-23, 15:20 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Dicion

Team Member
Makron

« Reply #83 on: 2004-03-23, 18:12 »

I think the doom armor looks alright.. the only thing that i can see people being like that about is how the 'shoulderpads' sort of just end abruptly up at the top near the collar... i dunno... The rest looks fine to me, that just sticks out as something un-tabun like  Doom - Huh?
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #84 on: 2004-03-23, 20:04 »

Un-tabun-like. I like the sound of that, in the light of things. ;]
Anyway, more on this later - if there's time, expect something cooler (and less like slippy's armor, too).

Here's a few sketches of what might become the earth armor collection. Comments, ideas or perhaps even your own sketches are very welcome:

Edit: Upper left has my vote for the red armor too - pretty bulky, somewhat futuristic, but still eathish, especially with a rusty skin ;]

« Last Edit: 2004-03-23, 20:26 by Tabun » Logged

ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #85 on: 2004-03-23, 20:06 »

I really like the 'red armor' sketch in the top left
« Last Edit: 2004-03-23, 20:07 by ConfusedUs » Logged
l4mby

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #86 on: 2004-03-23, 20:23 »

Quote from: ConfusedUs
I really like the 'red armor' sketch in the top left
I'm gonna have to agree on that one. Slipgate - Laugh
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #87 on: 2004-03-23, 20:30 »

Yeah, it would look bad-ass in a reflective metallic silver. Slipgate - Wink
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #88 on: 2004-03-23, 20:54 »

On another note, this is the torso bit of the Doom player model, that (with a few adjustments, and perhaps some added polies) could be used ...

ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #89 on: 2004-03-23, 21:13 »

I agree with con the "red" sketch looks cool! Slipgate - Smile sure tab the doom torso could be used!
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #90 on: 2004-03-23, 21:14 »

Earth amour = Top left

I agree with the gang
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #91 on: 2004-03-24, 00:08 »

I'd keep it WW2/Wolf3d-ish... like a sturdy flak jacket for yellow armor and Hans Grosse-style for the red armor.

I don't like the currently floating idea of red armor as mentioned above. It just looks (to put it one way) unEarth-like.
« Last Edit: 2004-03-24, 00:11 by Tekhead » Logged
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #92 on: 2004-03-24, 01:22 »

Ok, I see the votes are stacking up. I'll give it some more time, to see what others have to say about this (that means YOU teammembers Slipgate - Tongue).

Remember, Earth is not so much a total WWII class as it is 'Sarge's' class. As Pho said (on the internal board), I Quote:

Blaze lived up to the Doom Wars period according to Lee's story line, hence the modern Barret sniper rifle and the Mortar launcher which was pre-Doom, post-modern. The armor could be something from the same period the Mortar was based on

Anyway, here's another little tryout of the Doom armor, which I suddenly felt like playing with. Boosted the polies, adjusted the shape a bit, but it's basically Doom's torso & shoulder pads:

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #93 on: 2004-03-24, 01:26 »

I kind of like the "Sarge Example" myself.  I was thinking that by itself for a yellow armor, and then add some shoulder guards for the red armor.  If not, the current red armor example looks good too.  Maybe do the Sarge plates for yellow, and use the red example plus some shoulder guards for red?  I really don't like the medieval or the modern kevlar vest.  The knight suit looks extremely out of place and the kevlar is just boring.

Tab:  Here's some scans from a poster I had floating around that shows some concept art of the Doom marine with his armor both intact and with the stomach plates ripped out.  This is the same as what's on the Doom game box.

And here's a shot from the Doom II title screen, sadly, only the back of the guy.

If you go with the torso from the Doom model I would recommend basing the skin off of the style done in the Veteran skin.  That would look more Doom-ish than what Id did for the player model.
« Last Edit: 2004-03-24, 03:33 by Phoenix » Logged

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #94 on: 2004-03-24, 11:12 »

My options are:

1. Adjusting my existing model & skin
2. Using the Doom torso, but with the Doom skin (best skin there will ever be for that bit of model)
3. Model an entirely new armor

I was fairly unhappy with the first model, so 1 seems .. pointless.
2 could work, but it won't be as Doomish as it could be, like you say Pho.
I guess I should go for 3, then. At least I got a proper pic to base it on now :]

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #95 on: 2004-03-24, 22:58 »

First up, Earth armour.

Yellow - bottom right. Red - top left.

Secondly, I wouldn't object to having Doom's torso as armour - it would mean that Doom's armours are pretty much ready to roll - but new models would be cool.

Lastly, on another note, how about making the MH a soul-sphere for Doom? Slipgate - Wink
« Last Edit: 2004-03-25, 01:02 by scalliano » Logged

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Daedalus

CyberDemon

« Reply #96 on: 2004-03-24, 23:01 »

IIRC, Tab said previously that the Doom powerups will need a bit of work to look right, so he's leaving them til 1.0.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #97 on: 2004-03-26, 00:09 »

Like Daed said - Megahealth might get a do-over along with the other Doom powerups. That is something for later though. The spheres would take some looking into, a lot of modelling and animating, too. Perhaps.. they will even require coding, but I won't spoil the surprise :]

For Earth's armor, I'm going for a set of plates with shoulder straps for yellow, and the upper left design with some alterations for red.

But first.. the nailgun - Pho's model now has a skin:

http://www.planetquake.com/tabun/img/skin/...ilgun_shots.jpg
« Last Edit: 2004-03-26, 00:09 by Tabun » Logged

Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #98 on: 2004-03-26, 00:16 »

WOW!

Now THAT'S a true homage to Quake1!!
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #99 on: 2004-03-26, 00:17 »

Very nice, Tab!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 24
  Print  

Jump to: