2024-04-25, 16:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 ... 24
  Print  
Author Topic: What's coming up for 99e (skinwise)  (Read 158981 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #160 on: 2004-04-11, 04:27 »

The results are in, and people like their dolphins unwaxed!  

( Yes, this was mainly silly humor, if you could not tell. ) Slipgate - Grin  

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #161 on: 2004-04-11, 04:58 »

Hehe. But why does it still look awkward when I type: ...

Tabun unwaxes his dolphin

... here.. ? :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #162 on: 2004-04-11, 07:40 »

I know I'm late, but Unwaxed. Both good, but Unwaxed gives a more slipgate feel.

Slipgate - Off Topic Back home again now, after seeing lots of castles and painting a bathroom. also saw Signs on vid. blew me away.
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #163 on: 2004-04-11, 15:14 »

OWWWW!!! NICE JOB!! Mustn't be much left to do now *nudge, nudge*.

Nothing Slippy sould EVER be shiny imo.

Which leaves me with one final question:

[SIZE=14]WHEN IS IT COMING OUT???

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #164 on: 2004-04-11, 18:38 »

scalliano, you know how it is: WHS = the biggest teases of the modding community Slipgate - Wink
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #165 on: 2004-04-11, 19:43 »

The RL should be unwaxed! it should be dirty n rusty not shiny Slipgate - Smile
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #166 on: 2004-04-12, 01:23 »

I bow down before the skillz of Tabun and pho! *bows down* Slipgate - Ownage
OmEgA-X

Beta Tester
Hans Grosse

« Reply #167 on: 2004-04-12, 03:35 »

first of all, awesome job on the whole model and skin, they look much more like the originals, and now skippy will have 2 cool lookin main weapons  Thumbs up!. im glad ppl chose unwaxed, it looks way better than waxed.
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #168 on: 2004-04-12, 12:12 »

but if we wax it , it could be easyer to shove it up sombody arse Slipgate - Wink

although go for the unwaxed guys
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #169 on: 2004-04-12, 14:12 »

Quote from: Phoenix
The results are in, and people like their dolphins unwaxed! 

( Yes, this was mainly silly humor, if you could not tell. ) Slipgate - Grin 
Let's drop the waxed-vs-unwaxed discussion peoples... Although I admire your persistence ;]
« Last Edit: 2004-04-12, 14:13 by Tabun » Logged

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #170 on: 2004-04-13, 04:01 »

If I had run a poll I think it would be 100% in favor of something for a change.  Yes, time to move on please.  No wax will be applied to the Skippy cannon.

Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #171 on: 2004-04-13, 04:06 »

Wax on, wax off.

...ok, I'm done =]
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #172 on: 2004-04-13, 18:01 »

Ranger carried that RL across the void between worlds to save us all.

Oh hang on, that never happened did it? it's just a game. I remember now....

It was me that did it...

Or was that just a dream too?

Slipgate - Off Topic
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #173 on: 2004-04-13, 20:33 »

There we go. All classes now have their own armour pickups. That should get everyone fragging a bit more comfortably in 99e :]

http://www.planetquake.com/tabun/img/gena/...armor_shots.jpg

If anyone asks, the G is a homage to Generations, needless to say ;]

Next up? Well, I'd say the Doom powerups, probably :]

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #174 on: 2004-04-13, 21:14 »

That looks really good.

The 'G' is a great idea as well. Gen should have more symbols like that. Thumbs up!

Where can I learn to make things like this? I don't have much time at the moment, and i'm so tired when I get in, but next term I'm hoping will get easyer.
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #175 on: 2004-04-13, 21:22 »

Nice. You did a good job of making them consistent with eachother and I think you did accomplish the combination of medeival, modern, and futuristic armors quite well. The only downside is, they're not 'color-coded' like all the other armors. That's ok though, I don't think the armors always need to be riged up like a big neon light telling you what kind of armor it is.

BTW, did you guys ever consider doing green armor for strogg and slipgate classes? I don't think it's needed, and it would be a complication both for mapping and class balancing, but if it were possible to do without too much trouble it might be a cool added feature. I'm guessing it's probably more trouble than it's worth though. I was just playing CPMA the other day and thought it was cool that they added the GA back into Q3.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #176 on: 2004-04-13, 21:46 »

Hehe, although the flak jacket was cool, it serves too little purpose to make up for the problems you mention. It would probably only work if custom entities would be used by mappers, and that hardly makes it worth adding. Also, I don't think Q3 is lacking in the armor dept - shards have that much more effect ;]

I think keeping the armors apart won't be that much of a problem either, they're very distinct in shape and making them different sizes ingame would probably help, too. If it turns out to cause confusion, I can easily make parts of the red armor.. well.. red ;]

Shambler: learning to make skins? models? Most of it I've learnt the hard way. Trial and error, Photoshop usage basics, buying a tablet, learning to control and master the tools. All that is only a matter of time and dedication. The hardest part is to get something to look right. Can't really help you there, it's a case-by-case thing for me. Hell, sometimes I can't even get it right at all..
What it boils down to is that art classes, painting or sketching lessons and figure drawing will help you more than technical tutorials. The latter are only a way to express the former. If you feel like grabbing an application, like Photoshop or 3D Studio Max, for example, again it depends on your preference. I myself prefer to mess around, falling and getting up as I go, aided by online tutorials. Others prefer extensive books or even paid courses and whatnot. Pick what works best for you.
« Last Edit: 2004-04-13, 21:48 by Tabun » Logged

ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #177 on: 2004-04-13, 22:18 »

That looks awesome Tab! I can't wait to grab these in game. Slipgate - Wink

Quote from: Gnam
BTW, did you guys ever consider doing green armor for strogg and slipgate classes? I don't think it's needed, and it would be a complication both for mapping and class balancing, but if it were possible to do without too much trouble it might be a cool added feature. I'm guessing it's probably more trouble than it's worth though. I was just playing CPMA the other day and thought it was cool that they added the GA back into Q3.
We did, but it would break compatibility with standard q3 maps, and it's not really necessary.
« Last Edit: 2004-04-13, 22:19 by ConfusedUs » Logged
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #178 on: 2004-04-13, 22:56 »

Tab:

I can draw ok, In fact last year and the year before I taught some graphics in Secondary Ed. (thats age 11 to 16) But what I canot do is do it on computer.
In fact I've just finished a 2 day course in ProDesktop8, But I seem unable to handle anything 3D.
This is odd as before getting my 1st class Hons degree in 2000 I designed and made violins and guitars for most of my income.

Mind, I remember when I first got a PC, I would right everything on paper first! I could not compose on screen. I thing this must be like that. I overcame that by just doing it, as you say.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #179 on: 2004-04-14, 02:14 »

Fantastic!  I have enough armor models to implement the code and get them in-place.  Did you ever rework the Doom armor?  I still have the old models, and if you posted a link to a new version I somehow managed to miss it.

The Earth armors look perfect.  I'm 100% happy over those.  I think the different shapes will be more than sufficient in telling them apart, and Earth's armor stacks anyway, so basically it's telling you "how much" as opposed to "what kind".  Excellent work there!  I'll get to work on the Slipgate grenade launcher fairly soon.
« Last Edit: 2004-04-14, 02:15 by Phoenix » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 ... 24
  Print  

Jump to: