2024-04-29, 10:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 ... 24
  Print  
Author Topic: What's coming up for 99e (skinwise)  (Read 159373 times)
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #220 on: 2004-04-23, 19:18 »

B, for consistency with the Generations' theme  Thumbs up!

I'm sure you could throw on an awesome skin to make it look classy and more lethal than the original (and the current, for that matter).
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #221 on: 2004-04-23, 20:50 »

I really love the current design. It just looks evil. A new skin might help, but the model is fine.
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #222 on: 2004-04-23, 20:58 »

Don't get me wrong i think the gen axe is good enuff but i liked that Q1 axe too so im kinda split here... either do a new one or keep the original!
If you got the time tab sure try it out, if not..the axe is fine as it is!
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #223 on: 2004-04-23, 21:20 »

Well, there's two options when I'm concerned:

Either:

1) I model a new axe, somewhere in between our current Gen axe and the original, and whip up a skin for it.

2) We keep it as it is, including skin.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #224 on: 2004-04-23, 21:21 »

if i would go for classic feel I would say B.
but if I would go for looks and style , then gimme A

Slipgate - Off Topic  con , you do know that already your third signature with my name in it ???  Slipgate - Off Topic
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #225 on: 2004-04-23, 23:12 »

I vote for the current Gen axe, or C. It might be good to thicken the shaft of the axe a bit though. Thumbs up!
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #226 on: 2004-04-24, 00:24 »

Personally... I like 'F'. It looks close to the original style without deviating TOO far away from it. I wouldn't mind seeing this one used...

As for my vote though...
I'm a purist... 'B' all the way. Slipgate - Smile
« Last Edit: 2004-04-24, 00:29 by ~SpAwN~ » Logged

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #227 on: 2004-04-24, 03:20 »

I am in agreeance with Shambler.   The current axe and skin is fine, but I would choose C if you're willing to create a new model Tabun.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #228 on: 2004-04-24, 03:39 »

So far, I'm not really convinced we need a new axe.. Perhaps a poll in a diff topic shall help us decide. What say you Phoenix?

Btw, the hand (that is so steadily ignored Slipgate - Wink) is now rigged and ready for any animations later on ...

It's not perfect, but it will most certainly do. If Q3 allows, this baby can do pretty complex stuff, and holding/throwing grenades and reloading shells are no prob. whatsoever.

Gnam

Makron

« Reply #229 on: 2004-04-24, 05:50 »

The hands look good, they seem to take on different poses really well. It would be cool to see them 'in position' for the next version even if they don't animate. Like, right now the strogg MG is held in 1 hand only, which looks slightly akward, IMO. I know it's probably because you guys are going to have idle animations and stuff where the 2nd hand moves around, grips the gun, stretches its fingers, etc, but until the animations are ready perhaps it'd be better to just keep it on the gun all the time?

I don't really have a problem with the current axe. I never noticed it was any different from the original, but then I didn't exactly use the axe much in Q1.
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #230 on: 2004-04-24, 05:50 »

Rock on Tab, rock on Slipgate - Laugh

/me approves

I THINK I see some strange deformation on the middle little-finger knuckle. It might just be lighting.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #231 on: 2004-04-24, 13:43 »

Angst: If you are referring to the middle-finger shot - that's a skin-wrinkle.. it'll all make more sense when smoothing is applied, combined with a skin, in Quake3 :]

If you're referring to the fist shot from the front (but that's not the middle knuckle), you're right. Like I said: not perfect :[
I sacrificed some areas that would be less visible ingame (namely, the front of the fist (gotta be one hell of a weird punch if you end up swinging towards your own face Slipgate - Smile), to make sure the outline of the knuckles was a bit more acceptable when viewed from the back.

Also, be aware that these are renderings of the flats, no smoothing applied whatsoever. Applied onto that are several spotlights to define the shape. Setting lights is definately one of the things I still need a lot to learn for :]
This is NOT a forgiving way to show renderings, and lots of the edges appear really sharper then they are in a game. I would've done smoothed shots, but these show the structure of the polies better. Plus, you'll all get to see the smoothed effect eventually, anyway ;]
« Last Edit: 2004-04-24, 13:49 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #232 on: 2004-04-26, 00:29 »

Well, now that I'm doing some smaller updates anyway, let's add another one:

Strogg's going to get 2 new powerup models: Adrenaline (for the medkit) and ofcourse, the invulnerability model. The former is unwrapped and will be skinned soon, along with the hand, and the latter still needs wings, but I'm just done with the skull ;]

Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #233 on: 2004-04-26, 01:12 »

Tab: yes I was talking about the pinky in the middle-finger pose, and I wasn't sure if it was the render you used or the model itself.

And I'm liking what I see of the strogg adrenaline and invuln thus far Slipgate - Laugh

Is the invuln going to have the classic wings? or can we opt for a headphone-wearing skull? Slipgate - Wink

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
death_stalker

Makron

« Reply #234 on: 2004-04-26, 03:43 »

Nice models Tab! Slipgate - Grin

Love the hands.Do you mean by animations the fingers could manipulate things like shells to load into shotguns,wrap around weapons and grenades and the like?If so thats truely amazing,not to mention awesome.By the by,the skull and adrenaline are wild.Can't wait to see the wings and finally the skins.Keep up the good work! Thumbs up!

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #235 on: 2004-04-26, 11:36 »

Love the models, yo. I was gonna comment on the hand before, but the slippy axe sidetracked me. Looks awesome.

As for the q2 powerups... I was never one for q2, but that skull.. omg. I like it just the way it is... screw the wings. Slipgate - Smile

And speaking of skulls... I think you need your skull back in your sig. But hey, don't mind me... I like skulls...and zombies...skeletons...anything undead except vampires. Slipgate - Wink

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #236 on: 2004-04-26, 12:02 »

Ehr, to avoid confusion which wouldn't have been there if people would try and read the typage around the pretty pictures too ;]
The invulnerability model is or rather was not done. Ofcourse the final model gets the classic wings..
I just thought I'd showcase the coolest bit of the thing ;]

Also, again obviously, once vertex animations are available, the reload anim and whatnot will be made to look as nice/realistic as possible & feasible.

Also, after modelling the wings, an idea popped up to make Strogg powerups more Stroggish, and less Arenaish. As an example, I modelled the Strogg haste. I'll try and do the same for the invisibility and regeneration later, if it works out well.

« Last Edit: 2004-04-26, 15:54 by Tabun » Logged

ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #237 on: 2004-04-26, 15:57 »

ooo, I like!

Just don't forget to make the skins the right color, to avoid confusion. Slipgate - Smile
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #238 on: 2004-04-26, 20:08 »

On the hands:

Is the little finger a bit too long?  Thumbs up!
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #239 on: 2004-04-26, 21:07 »

Yes. The thumb is a bit too short, and the little finger is a bit too large. Both are already fixed (resizing bones make my life that much easier).

Earth is the toughest class, when it comes to powerups. Nothing to go on, a theme that doesn't allow for very logical symbolism and definately no original versions to build upon. Indeed, all Doom powerups will be orbs, and even slipgates stuff can be turned into runes of some sort (although it remains to be seen whether this'll be intuitive ingame). I'm going to do the obvious stuff first, and the rest as we may or may not go.

If you'd like to contribute concept art (and yes, crappy sketches count), by all means, start a thread on it, if no-one else has yet. I'll start thinking about the designs when the straightforward work is done.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 ... 24
  Print  

Jump to: