2024-04-29, 08:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 ... 24
  Print  
Author Topic: What's coming up for 99e (skinwise)  (Read 159368 times)
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #200 on: 2004-04-21, 11:07 »

How long till 99e guys?

Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #201 on: 2004-04-21, 11:41 »

You're getting blueballs too, eh?

Last I heard, the gen dev team have the projected date of "When it's done" to release 99e  Slipgate - Wink
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #202 on: 2004-04-21, 12:42 »

Yup, we're pulling a WiD on your asses. Pho's got a bunch more code to work on, and 2 slippy models. I'm just doing whatever I can in the meantime to make sure as much stuff makes it into 99e as possible. Blueballs or no, the longer you wait, the bigger the reward shall be in the end ;]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #203 on: 2004-04-21, 13:36 »

Yes, yes indeed.  Thumbs up!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #204 on: 2004-04-22, 00:18 »

Well.. After giving the axe another look-over, I decided it's actually fine. Since the Thunderbolt is looking hot already aswell, I won't reskin it unless there's a mass "Damn You Tabun, It Is Horrible And Must Be Reskinned" response. But I'm not counting on that ;]

Instead, I decided to give something else a try:

No skin yet, and it's not rigged either, but this is the start..
The wrist isn't fully done yet, hence the odd bumps in with the spotlight on it. I'll have to optimize lots of stuff anyway when I'm testing deformation with the bones..
« Last Edit: 2004-04-22, 00:20 by Tabun » Logged

Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #205 on: 2004-04-22, 01:27 »

Handy hands there, Tabby. Thumbs up!
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #206 on: 2004-04-22, 02:49 »

Are those the hands for the axe?

Man, you guys are over-acheivers.  Slipgate - Smile~  The old slipgate models were allready really good. Sure they weren't 100% accurate to the originals, but they still looked great and in any other mod, with any other staff, the idea of redoing them would have been discarded as too much work, with the current models being 'good enough'. I'm sure not complaining or anything, I'm just surprised that you would completely redo completed work so readily.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #207 on: 2004-04-22, 03:31 »

The hands are for all viewport hand showage. They'll be (unless the team decides otherwise) the hands that'll reload the doom shotgun, hold the pistols, make offensive gestures *cough* and indeed, hold the axe..

Perhaps you haven't looked at the old models very closely :]
They really stood out as of lesser quality than the rest of the gen arsenal. Everything that gets overhauled is changed because it's not up to par with the rest. This has 2 positive effects, and only 1 negative:

pro:
1. Gen gets prettier, and prettier in an orderly fashion. The style and quality remains as consistent as possible.

2. It's easy to keep things organized. I'm not about to redo things that I don't like, when there's something that needs redoing sooner. It prevents double work and keeps me (and prolly pho aswell) happy campers.

con:

Well.. it takes extra time. But since I've pretty much covered all I wanted to get done for 99e, everything I do is an added bonus anyway.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the way we do things. Looking at Q2E's high-quality-standard development, and comparing with newbie modteams also, I think we're walking the golden road in between. Whereas Q2E's stuff is usually very detailed, progress is relatively slow and quite a bit is redone - this is all fine and dandy, but we really would like to get to 1.0 somewhere before 2010. This doesn't mean that we leave shoddy stuff shoddy, however.
Which brings us back to the why - Bigger, Stronger, Faster, Better, evolution never ceases to plough onward and forward... :]
« Last Edit: 2004-04-22, 03:33 by Tabun » Logged

Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #208 on: 2004-04-22, 06:22 »

I for one wouldn't mind at all if the current axe model gets replaced with something that's more true to the original... the one we have now looks like it came straight out of a game like Rune rather than Q1 (and Rune uses the same engine UT has! NEIN!), so something classic with some appropriate skinwork  would be abseloutely...

" Slipgate - Ownage "
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #209 on: 2004-04-22, 06:28 »

Nice work on the hand there.  I know our current one is passable, but if it deforms better (and skinmaps better) I'm all for it.  Bones will certainly make animating a lot smoother too.

Tabun is correct as far as our philosophy goes.  If something can be made to look better, why not do it?  I was never happy with our original Q1 set of models, but it did allow us to get .99a out the door faster and were legal, as opposed to our placeholders that we borrowed from the originals for testing.  I like sticking to the originals as much as possible (with a few embelishments of course) so naturally a redesign was in order.  Looking back I can say it's been well worth it, and as much as I may not like Quake 1 and the Slipgate class in general making the models has been a rewarding experience.  I like the new look and I've had fun making it get that way.

Tab:  I looked at Quake 2 Evolved and I had to compare some screenshots to our stuff, especially for the energy cell, rocket box, and machinegun ammo models, because I was afraid they had ripped our models until closer inspection revealed they were physically different.  That was quite a surprise there, and it's good to see Quake 2 getting a nice makeover.

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #210 on: 2004-04-22, 10:02 »

Tekhead: "I for one wouldn't mind at all if the current axe model gets replaced with something that's more true to the original..."

I agree... I mean, it looks nice in its own right, but it just doesn't feel Slipgate-ish.

As for the other Slipgate models that are getting replaced.. I say, THANK YOU! Especially the grenade launcher and RL! (No offense meant to whoever made and skinned those models, of course...).

And hey... I'm still a firm believer that...
 Slipgate - Ownage

HeadBanging

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #211 on: 2004-04-22, 10:32 »

Tab?  Axe?  You want to?  Slipgate - Confused

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #212 on: 2004-04-22, 11:47 »

I've got my 'hands' full atm ;]
But sure, I'll make a quakey axe if y'all like.

Btw, the very reason the Q2E stuff is so much alike at times, is creepy in itself. As you know, our stuff was done pretty swiftly for Strogg, and odium posted about it once or twice. My models featured greatly in discussions about poly reduction and general model issues, both as examples of how they wanted to do it, and how they didn't. Anyway, for some reason, they were a standard for some of the Q2E dev. That was odd, but interesting..

Later on, odium started to get interested in skinning, and obviously liked my style. In a short time, he'd adapted the way he skinned to match my Gen-Strogg style. That, and obviously comparing our skins along the way, got them eerily similar work.

There's going to be some moments that some arse will step up to us and claim that we either stole the work from Q2E's devteam, or that we are copycats and wannabees. It's bound to happen. But that's the only downside really, it's quite an honor when your low poly, low resolution work is made to be the example of a high poly, high resolution project such as Q2E.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #213 on: 2004-04-22, 14:06 »

Indeed.  Concerning the axe, if you're busy I can mesh one up at some point, but odds are you'll finish your stuff before I finish the shotties.  It's up to you.  I have some codeing to take care of as well (trying to mix my work so I don't go nuts) so no rush.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #214 on: 2004-04-22, 23:49 »

Tiny update. I unwrapped it best I could, mainly limiting seams, and not worrying too much about a little bit of stretching. This leaves quite a bit of the skinmap unused - but look on the bright side, lots of room for lame hand-jokes!

« Last Edit: 2004-04-22, 23:52 by Tabun » Logged

Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #215 on: 2004-04-23, 00:39 »

Tekhead: "I for one wouldn't mind at all if the current axe model gets replaced with something that's more true to the original..."

I agree... I mean, it looks nice in its own right, but it just doesn't feel Slipgate-ish.
Heh, wasn't the original something like 24 polys? It was a veritable square-on-a-stick Slipgate - Tongue

I WILL agree that a beefier axe would be dead sexy, however. And if Tab's busy, I could probably skin it reasonably well, I need the practice anyway :b.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #216 on: 2004-04-23, 03:39 »

I like the current axe MUCH more than that hatchet from Q1
OmEgA-X

Beta Tester
Hans Grosse

« Reply #217 on: 2004-04-23, 16:11 »

im with con on this one  Slipgate - Smile
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #218 on: 2004-04-23, 18:39 »

Me three.

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #219 on: 2004-04-23, 19:04 »

Oh dear, we're at 50-50 on this one, or close to it anyway.

So... here's some quick sketches of what direction this could go.

http://www.planetquake.com/tabun/tmp/examples_axe.jpg

Any ideas or sketches are, as usual, welcomed.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 ... 24
  Print  

Jump to: