2024-04-19, 12:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Earth Powerup Ideas Thread  (Read 66441 times)
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #60 on: 2004-05-10, 20:47 »

The ankh for Q1 regen is an awesome idea and fits extremely well with the theme, as previously stated... I can also see the lightning rune fitting in, but it would have to be textured right.... which I'm SURE you can easily accomplish.

As for flight... I must agree with Tek. But I also can't think of anything Slippy could use for flight at all. A Scrag symbol?

If all else fails though, I'd go with Con and the others... the single-wing rune.

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #61 on: 2004-05-10, 21:05 »

As it looks, the Ankh and Haste are in. Haste needing some model work, and indeed, an appropriate texture to work. For now I'm going with the single wing-like rune. Remember, flight is one of those things some people aren't even ever going to see ;] - If it looks acceptable, it's good enough for me, for a change.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
OmEgA-X

Beta Tester
Hans Grosse

« Reply #62 on: 2004-05-11, 16:16 »

is the ring gonna be used for the inviso power item!?  Slipgate - Confused
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #63 on: 2004-05-11, 19:25 »

Ehr yes. The Ring of Shadows will remain the Ring of Shadows :]

I was under the impression we already had a Ring model, but I'm not sure about that. If not, that is about the easiest item to whip up. Perhaps with a slight wink to Lord of the Rings, plus a whole lot of metallic shader should do the trick nicely.

Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #64 on: 2004-05-11, 19:28 »

no more, no less please =]
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #65 on: 2004-05-12, 02:44 »

We do not currently have a ring model, so yes, we need one.  As for the LOTR reference, well, I think that's what Id had in mind when the came up with the thing in the first place.  You hear those evil whispers while it's working in Q1? *shudder*

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Besli

« Reply #66 on: 2004-05-12, 07:13 »

That's what i think they shold be...
Good old Wolfenstein items!!
http://www.wolfenstein3d.co.uk/items.htm
http://www.geocities.com/grindmachine2000/Items.html
http://diehardwolfers.areyep.com/bunker/items.htm
http://www.mac-archive.com/wolfenstein/weapons.html

The helmet is a good item for armor, but i don't think the armor jacket looks good for BJ because he didn't has a armor in Wolf 3D. But maybe you can get some inspiration in the RTCW items...
Keep up that good work Tabun!! Thumbs up!
« Last Edit: 2004-05-12, 07:16 by Besli » Logged
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #67 on: 2004-05-12, 16:46 »

Seeing as Slipgate's powerups all seem to be mythological symbols (pentagram of protection, ring of shadows and now the ankh of regeneration), I'll recommend for his flight a (large-winged) caduceus.

sources:
Image - http://altreligion.about.com/library/gloss...efscaduceus.htm
Info - http://www.wordsources.info/mercury.html
Info - http://www.gillingham.com.au/hermes.html

What do you think? Sound like a good idea?
« Last Edit: 2004-05-12, 16:48 by Tekhead » Logged
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #68 on: 2004-05-12, 17:17 »

Sure, why not. It'll be a simplified version, because I'm not going to spend a full day modelling pretty snakes that no-one will ever see close up, for more than a millisecond ;]
But the jist is good. Intuitive, symbolic, perhaps a bit hard to rune-ize, but I'll find a way.

A final note: Mercury is definately a fag, there. :]

Besli: We're not talking items here. If you know the mod, you must realize that all items are in, except for the powerups - hence this thread ;]
Whether you like shards or no, they're a part of Quake 3 Arena, and stripping them, just because Wolf3D didn't have them, is a definite no-no. Balance first, extreme nostalgia later. Using treasure-bonus-like-items for powerups has been suggested earlier in the thread, and is seriously being considered.
« Last Edit: 2004-05-12, 17:20 by Tabun » Logged

Chilvence

Ogre

« Reply #69 on: 2004-05-12, 18:32 »

How about that Idea of funky blast-from-the-past tech?

Because you could probably use a mixture of both, where one makes more sense than the other

For example, if haste could either be a time machine or a golden stopwatch, the watch would no doubt be more recognisable in its purpose (just as examples, mind). The battle suit could be a cross of protection, which would make some sense, or you could go nuts and build an updated version of the original Robo-Hitler suit, complete with a transparent helmet to stick the players headmodel in Thumbs up! ....

Unless you dont like the inconsistency of course, but I dont think it would matter much. I think it would be hillarious watching that crudely animated suit running and jumping around with dual gats Slipgate - Smile
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #70 on: 2004-05-20, 13:04 »

Don't count on that suit just yet. Although the idea is kind of funny, it would also imply that the player would lose a lot of his/her mobility. Either that, or it would just look.. wrong. The idea is noted, but for now at least, it'll probably be the spear of destiny. Best and clearest reference to the Wolf3D/SOD legend ;]

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #71 on: 2004-05-20, 14:01 »

The "Hitlerbot" is not going to be a powerup.  However, that could be very feasible for an Earth Soldiers player model once external player model support is added and a proper SDK written so the upcoming new player stances can be properly added.  Earth Soldiers are the only class more heavily armored than Strogg Troopers, so it does kind of fit.  I guess TankJr would have some old-school competition to contend with? Slipgate - Wink
« Last Edit: 2004-05-20, 14:02 by Phoenix » Logged

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #72 on: 2004-05-20, 17:43 »

Well, I've done something for Earth:

A simple & clean Spear of Destiny, that could glow moodily.

I'm thinking of using the cross, very much with the same design of the Wolf3D version, for Regeneration.

I'm still drawing a blank for the others, although I haven't given it much thought. Perhaps the Chalice could work for Haste..
« Last Edit: 2004-05-20, 17:46 by Tabun » Logged

o'dium

Spectre

« Reply #73 on: 2004-05-20, 19:37 »

Great work Tabun, Love the models and the skins for these items. It will really give Gen a nice fresh feel, well done.
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #74 on: 2004-05-21, 07:08 »

The spear looks like it could be used as a bayonette for the gats!  Slipgate - Grin
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #75 on: 2004-05-21, 11:04 »

hehehe , yea . its funny
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #76 on: 2004-05-21, 19:10 »

Hmm, yeah, it DOES look a bit like the gat, maybe a solid pedestal holding the shaft with a pseudo-volumetric light coming from where the shaft meets the pedestal?

As for the other powerups, I figure I can quote myself Slipgate - Tongue

Some slight modifications, but ideas I had were as follows:
Chalice - Regen
Cross - Flight
Crown - Invis

Suggestions of course, but I figured the Chalice at least would work best as regen. Last Crusade anyone? Slipgate - Tongue

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #77 on: 2004-05-21, 19:34 »

It could even have (red) sloshing contents, that chalice. Although ofcourse, the actual effect of a jewelry encrusted version of the cup has effects that I would not describe as 'regenerative' as such. Not if we are indeed talking the Last Crusade :]

A Crown for invis might just work.. perhaps with a translucent head under it?

No suggestions for haste? To be honest, I see no reason why the chalice and the cross both couldn't be:
- Haste
- Flight
- Invis, or
- Regeneration

Since they don't actually have clearly defined meanings per se.
Either way, that still leaves one powerup unassigned. I don't think the shroud thing would work, as a model, although the idea is nice enough.

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #78 on: 2004-05-21, 22:45 »

I think the spear looks fine... it might look a bit like a gat, but hey... I didn't notice until someone else said it. I think a skin would fix that anyway.

As for the last item... might as well keep with the 'trasure' theme. A sceptre maybe... or just a fancy looking, bejewled coin... again, I'm just lobbing ideas out there. So whatever.. heh.

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #79 on: 2004-05-21, 23:50 »

Spear for Invuln
Chalace for Regen (red jewels, red liquid?)
Cross for Haste? (hey, it's gold)
Crown for Invis? (with appropriate ghost effect)

I still say a scepter with wings (ala Heretic Phoenix Rod) would work for flight just fine.  Give it a purple eye jewel and maybe some purple jewels on the handle.  I have a good idea what this might look like, so if you want I can whip up a sketch.  Sure, we're making that one up, and yes I'm being a little egocentric here, but I don't think a treasure chest really translates and that's all that's left. Slipgate - Smile

I don't think the scepter would look right as purple, nor should the chalace be completely red.  I think sticking with gold treasures and color-coding the effects and jewels is a bit more reasonable for keeping them looking treasure-ish.  What we could do as opposed to or in addition to coloring the jewels is use a voobing shader that gives a color-coded glow effect, so it pulsates with the color shell.  I think that could look very nifty and unique and make the "treasures" appear to be a bit more magical in nature.
« Last Edit: 2004-05-21, 23:52 by Phoenix » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8
  Print  

Jump to: