2024-03-28, 15:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: free hardware?  (Read 4219 times)
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« on: 2004-06-02, 02:38 »

http://slashdot.org/articles/04/06/01/1627...tid=137&tid=187

I really don't think that'll fly. A system where you get hardware for free and have to LEASE software is just insane. What does everyone else think?

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Hedhunta

Chton

« Reply #1 on: 2004-06-02, 02:52 »

lol, as if nvidia or ati would EVER let that fly, let alone amd, or intel. they make their money by competing, and i doubt even microsoft could buy all FOUR of them. but ya never know.. besides, as soon as they try it, some guys will hack it to peices and well all have free hardware and free software, if they wanna screw themselves, then by all means they can!
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #2 on: 2004-06-02, 08:05 »

I love that bill gates. hes such a laugh. cheers me up for the entire day. Slipgate - Laugh
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2004-06-02, 11:27 »

It's the same "computer lease" model they've been doing at Dell and Gateway for a while now, and follows the same trend with auto manufacturers and cellular phone services.  They push leases because a lease gives them a constant cash flow and usually puts you on a contract for X number of years.  It's all about revenue.  It certainly flies in the face of the concept of private ownership.  Sorry, what's on my box belongs to me.  No company will ever dictate what I can and cannot do with this hardware, nor what I can and cannot put on it.

I believe this kind of model will never work because people have alternative choices in software, only the "super-huge" software companies are looking into this model.  There's more and more open-source development going on, and there's plenty of crackers and warez sites floating around as well.  Determined and savvy users will find ways around prohibitive and authoritarian marketing strategies, whether it's legal or not.  If they want to give themselves a "million dollar wound" I say go for it.
« Last Edit: 2004-06-02, 11:27 by Phoenix » Logged

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #4 on: 2004-06-02, 14:31 »

I can see it now... *imagination working*  "Step right up everyone, come and grab yourself a nvidia 6800!!! Remember, grab it while the company has money!!!". Slipgate - Laugh

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: