2024-04-19, 21:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
  Print  
Author Topic: What Maps do you want to see in Gen?  (Read 48814 times)
Lunatic Guy

« Reply #100 on: 2003-05-30, 03:44 »

I just replayed Doom2 GL, and I think there are 3 maps that should be made for Gen.

But I'll try to replay the first Quake, and see what maps that should be made to Gen.

I'll post them later...
Vadertime

CyberDemon

« Reply #101 on: 2003-05-31, 05:20 »

I did find your tutorials Tabun. I still don't really know how to make a skin. Does it take any special utility to put the files in the right format? How can you put them in a PK3 and how do you open PK3 files? I opened a third party skin with wordpad and saw jibberish characters everywhere. Also, what ever happened to those map pictures I sent? Were they even discernable? If you can find them and think they're worth looking at, let reboot look at them if you haven't already. Doom - Huh?
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #102 on: 2003-05-31, 11:25 »

Three comments Vader:

1) You're right, my tutorials don't address (all) the basics. They assume general knowledge of bitmaps, leave you free to choose the drawing program(s) you prefer, and they don't cover the entire field of skinning. I just listened to what people wanted to know at the time, and decided to do a bit on this or that,  just like with my Captain Dubious 3dmax unwrap-tutorial.
If you need help on how to make bitmaps(TGAs) and general paint programs, try some shareware(z) and see what you like, then do a couple of internetsearches on things that leave you in the dark. (I prefer photoshop myself)

2)  You found my tutorials, but as it seems, not all of them. Take another look and make note of the PK3 tutorial right there, it answers your questions on that topic...

3) I can vaguely remember getting some huge sketches, and I can remember looking at them - but sorry, I think I deleted them and I know I must have been thinking something along the lines of: 'What am I supposed to do with this?' - and assumed you'd just sent em to the whole team or something.
Anyway, map ideas are always best sent to a mapper. So, as you are suggesting yourself, let reboot take a look at em :]
« Last Edit: 2003-05-31, 11:32 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #103 on: 2003-05-31, 20:28 »

Vadertime:  sure i can take a look at your map pictures, if they are interessting enuff, i *might* make em.
for the momment i do have some maps to finish first like:
q1e1m5 (95% done)
q1e3m1 (basic layout finished)
q2dm3 (layout finished)
q2 deathmatch map mix (think like genstart) (still in planning stages)
CTF version of req1dm3 (When i feel for it)

Hollowpoint

Shambler

« Reply #104 on: 2003-05-31, 21:42 »

Cool, Reboot, I didn't know you were working on The Frag Pipe...  I'm still waiting for someone to do q2dm5 - The Pits... especially if it has curved walls ;-)
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #105 on: 2003-05-31, 23:08 »

Or can you just have a head tga and a head skin in the pk3 and use the headmodel command?
yes, you can do a simple headmodel change

Oh yeah, and one more skin/model question... is it possible to code a skin file so it uses a different headmodel?
NO I tried this for tab's zombiemen skins. The .skin can only function on the model who's skin you're defining. You would have to create a separate folder in which are the head and body models you want to use for the skin. Very inefficient.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #106 on: 2003-06-01, 22:26 »

Well i kinda felt that gen needed more q2 maps that's why i started q2dm3 (also cuz i like to squish ppls)  Slipgate - Wink
Hollowpoint

Shambler

« Reply #107 on: 2003-06-03, 01:39 »

People get squished by that spinning thing, by the quad and above the water in Q2DM5 ;-)  There's also lots of other nice things on that map.  Damn, that didn't sound like a very exciting pitch, doh!  oh well,  at least I tried  sorta Slipgate - Wink
Someday, maybe, I'll get to see q2dm5 in Q3, I hope.
K, nuff of my rambling for this post.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #108 on: 2003-06-03, 11:20 »

Heh, I made some squish/playerkill machines in some of my q2 maps (which are downloadable on my site) - but they never made for a prominent factor in the game. Ofcourse, I mostly played 1on1 in q2dm3, so it was all part of the tactics to not be in the pipe whenever your opponent's around  Slipgate - Smile

Daedalus

CyberDemon

« Reply #109 on: 2003-06-03, 16:59 »

I thought the spinning thing just sorta pushed you around, not squished you, unless you were blocking a corner or something O_O

I'd also like to see Q2Dm5 in q3, but not as much as the other q2 maps, Frag Pipe and the one with the rotating cog platform thing are cool.
Also umm, city2 would be nice, it had good DM with its multiple areas joined by t-porters. And double quads always proved to be hectic Slipgate - Smile
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #110 on: 2003-06-03, 21:23 »

it squished you if you fell 'between' it and the surrounding edge

Vadertime

CyberDemon

« Reply #111 on: 2003-06-04, 08:00 »

How about the Ammo Depot? Does anybody like that map? It may not be much for deathmatch, but it does have that bridge that can be dipped in the lava by buttons. That's always a great feature to cook with. In Quake2 singleplayer mode you can always run across the bridge far enough to get the berserker chasing you, then run back across and hit the button before the berserker can make it across. You can deep fry it every time.
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #112 on: 2003-06-04, 13:04 »

Ok q2dm5 is added to my map list, i'll start making the layout on it someday,
if im not wrong q2dm5 was a quite large dm map?

For the momment my mapping goes quite slow, got lots of thing in my RL to deal with, but i might get some work going on q2dm3 this weekend, the item placment is finished, i just need someone ol q2 player to run around the map, once that's done, things will go much faster.

However im not so satisfied with the layout i've done so far im seriously considering redoing the layout make it a bit wider.
Daedalus

CyberDemon

« Reply #113 on: 2003-06-04, 16:45 »

I'll run around the map for you Slipgate - Smile
Gladly, in fact, make me your slave of map running... Pweeeeeease? Slipgate - Grin :wub:
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #114 on: 2003-06-04, 21:20 »

Lol mkay slave, you might get something to test tomorrow Slipgate - Wink
ROADKILL

Spectre

« Reply #115 on: 2003-06-05, 02:20 »

Quote from: Daedalus
I thought the spinning thing just sorta pushed you around, not squished you, unless you were blocking a corner or something O_O

I'd also like to see Q2Dm5 in q3, but not as much as the other q2 maps, Frag Pipe and the one with the rotating cog platform thing are cool.
Also umm, city2 would be nice, it had good DM with its multiple areas joined by t-porters. And double quads always proved to be hectic Slipgate - Smile
I've got city64 roughed in but stopped work on it because
nobody wanted to play sewer64 that i did.
I also have base 64 roughed in but it needs some good
textures to use.
you can see city64q3 at http://members.cox.net/~patrick.kennedy/
it's playable right now but still needs more work yet.
ROADKILL
« Last Edit: 2003-06-05, 02:23 by ROADKILL » Logged
Lunatic Guy

« Reply #116 on: 2003-06-05, 06:48 »

ROADKILL: city64? Is that name of the map that you're working on in your site? That one which looks like temple and caverns featured in the pics below there?
ROADKILL

Spectre

« Reply #117 on: 2003-06-06, 03:09 »

Quote from: Lunatic Guy
ROADKILL: city64? Is that name of the map that you're working on in your site? That one which looks like temple and caverns featured in the pics below there?
ya I started out doing sewer64q3 and then city64q3 and
also base64q3.
all three of these maps are made like the original 64 player
maps released for q2.
I quit working on city about 6 months ago when no one
showed any interest in my completed sewer64q3.
my plan was to release all 3 64 player maps for q3.
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #118 on: 2003-06-06, 16:10 »

I was interested Slipgate - Sad
I want my base64 and city64 .
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #119 on: 2003-06-06, 17:12 »

I was also interested... I especially want to see a nice remake of Base64
« Last Edit: 2003-06-06, 17:12 by dev/null » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7