2024-04-27, 13:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7
  Print  
Author Topic: What Maps do you want to see in Gen?  (Read 49371 times)
Vadertime

CyberDemon

« Reply #40 on: 2003-03-27, 00:42 »

TABUN!!!! I'm just wondering if you found the pictures I sent you useful at all. If I could make those maps I would. Damn I need tools that work. I need reliable internet too. It really sucks BIG HAIRY ELEPHANT DICKS to have to use the school internet to download or do anything else. Also it's official now, I can't write code. I'm no good at it. Hope to hear your input soon. Maybe it won't be long before I have radiant again, and actually get it to work this time.
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #41 on: 2003-03-27, 00:49 »

/me continues to flip through C++ For Dummies  Slipgate - Laugh
..::WHAT!?

Ogre

« Reply #42 on: 2003-03-27, 03:47 »

Quote from: Tabun
note: You are allowed to use my textures - or any others you may find in the textures thread up on the main gen forum page. Just in case you didn't know yet ;]
Ok thanks Tabun... its hard to find custom Quake 3 textures that still have that DooM feel to them,  I don't know if I have seen yours yet but I will check them out...

BTW - I love this smiley  Who's Your Daddy?  - lmao!

EDIT:
=====
Tabun I check out your textures, they are very nice... I think they will help me out, but I am still gonna have to find a lot of non DooM replacement textures...
Maybe I will try making some of my own  Fainting
« Last Edit: 2003-03-27, 08:26 by ..::WHAT!? » Logged
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #43 on: 2003-03-27, 11:27 »

What!?: The level looks very good, you do have some nice mapping skills there if you continue to do maps i think you will be a very good mapper Slipgate - Smile

Anyway i forgot to mention this link: http://www.planetquake.com/bighouse/textures.asp there you will find plenty of textures and i think i saw a doom-ish texture set there...go get it!
btw you know we do have a mapping forum here at Wirehead go to the forum called "Laced neptune" and post your mapping progress there.
Lunatic Guy

« Reply #44 on: 2003-03-29, 05:07 »

..::WHAT!?: Can I have your email please? I would like to tell you something. Thanks a lot.

Ogre

« Reply #45 on: 2003-03-29, 09:02 »

Quote from: ReBoOt
What!?: The level looks very good, you do have some nice mapping skills there if you continue to do maps i think you will be a very good mapper Slipgate - Smile

Anyway i forgot to mention this link: http://www.planetquake.com/bighouse/textures.asp there you will find plenty of textures and i think i saw a doom-ish texture set there...go get it!
btw you know we do have a mapping forum here at Wirehead go to the forum called "Laced neptune" and post your mapping progress there.
Ok thanks I will swing by there later...

@Lunitic Guy - I PMed you my E-Mail

BTW - I was just thinking - why is the copyright for the DooM textures an issue here - I mean I see levels using the original Quake 3 textures all the time and nobody seems to have a problem with them  <_<
pepe

Shambler

« Reply #46 on: 2003-03-29, 12:38 »

that is because the quake3 textures are included in quake 3
hence they can be used for maps made for quake 3 legaly

the doom textures can only be used for doom-maps etc

fot you to be able to take textures from one game to another you need the authors permission wich they wont give usually since if you havent bought their game you shouldnt be able to enjoy their textures

if you use textures from game A in maps for game B without permission you are dooing something illegal, namely breaking copywright

you can remake textures that look about the same as long as you make them from the ground up

its not allowed to modify textures and use them in other games

i hope this helps what
if not pm me and ill try to explain it better

Ogre

« Reply #47 on: 2003-03-29, 13:08 »

Quote from: pepe
that is because the quake3 textures are included in quake 3
hence they can be used for maps made for quake 3 legaly

the doom textures can only be used for doom-maps etc

fot you to be able to take textures from one game to another you need the authors permission wich they wont give usually since if you havent bought their game you shouldnt be able to enjoy their textures

if you use textures from game A in maps for game B without permission you are dooing something illegal, namely breaking copywright

you can remake textures that look about the same as long as you make them from the ground up

its not allowed to modify textures and use them in other games

i hope this helps what
if not pm me and ill try to explain it better
Naw I understand... I am re-doing the textures in the level right now, there are just so damn many of them  Fainting  - I think that last post was a last ditch at trying to get out of the work  Slipgate - Wink  

BTW - Thanks VERY much to ReBoOt - for that little thing you wrote about making a bot file... it worked like a charm  Thumbs up!, now all I have to figure out is how to setup the correct file structure inside a .pk3  so my map will work like any othe Downloaded file  (I am still using the command prompt to load it from my maps directory)  Slipgate - Sad
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #48 on: 2003-03-29, 22:04 »

What!?: No problems man! im glad that i could help u.
anyway the directory structure for a .PK3 file should be like this:

maps--> here you put your "yourmapname.BSP "and "yourmapname.AAS" files
levelshots--> A screenshot of your level, using a low rez is recommended also try to use .jpg instead of .tga. the file name should be the same as the lvl.
scripts--> here you place your map(s) shaders and a file called "yourmapname.arena" the Arena file makes your map showing up in the map selcetion screen, also you can specify which bot that should be used, fraglimits...
textures-->yourtexturefolder--> well.. i don't have to explain this one? Slipgate - Smile
models-->mapobjects-->yourmodelfolder--> if you have a custom model place the models textures here NOT the .MD3 models get "bsped" into the map.

Okay that should be it just zip those folders and rename "yourpk3name.zip" to "yourpk3name.pk3"
« Last Edit: 2003-03-29, 22:05 by ReBoOt » Logged

Ogre

« Reply #49 on: 2003-03-31, 23:56 »

Quote from: ReBoOt
What!?: No problems man! im glad that i could help u.
anyway the directory structure for a .PK3 file should be like this:

maps--> here you put your "yourmapname.BSP "and "yourmapname.AAS" files
levelshots--> A screenshot of your level, using a low rez is recommended also try to use .jpg instead of .tga. the file name should be the same as the lvl.
scripts--> here you place your map(s) shaders and a file called "yourmapname.arena" the Arena file makes your map showing up in the map selcetion screen, also you can specify which bot that should be used, fraglimits...
textures-->yourtexturefolder--> well.. i don't have to explain this one? Slipgate - Smile
models-->mapobjects-->yourmodelfolder--> if you have a custom model place the models textures here NOT the .MD3 models get "bsped" into the map.

Okay that should be it just zip those folders and rename "yourpk3name.zip" to "yourpk3name.pk3"
Hey thanks again... I haven't tried this yet but I am sure it will work,  I have my level about 70% retextured now so it shouldn't be long before I post new screen shots.

(BTW if there is anyone who would like to be a beta tester please let me know.  I wan't to make sure item placement and atmosphere are working well for the level before I make an official release  Slipgate - Wink )
Lilazzkicker

Beta Tester
Quad God

« Reply #50 on: 2003-04-03, 16:07 »

Gimmie a yell WHAT!?, and i will be happy to beta test your map.
Vadertime

CyberDemon

« Reply #51 on: 2003-04-15, 22:53 »

About resurgence and maps: will really big monsters appear in any map they wan't too??? Consider the threat of the cyberdemon. In big open maps the cyber isn't too tough, and in big maps with the right cover, such as the tower of babel from DOOM the cyber by itself is fairly easy. If the cyber appears in maps barely big enough to accomodate it's head clearance but with corridors wide enough to let it roam, it becomes a truly deadly sumbitch. The spider mastermind is so big and has such a wide track, it could easily get stuck in walls if the spawn point is in a small space meant for arena gladiators and other human sized targets. I assume you all have this taken into account.
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #52 on: 2003-04-16, 04:54 »

When I think BIG monsters, I think Chthon Slipgate - Tongue
Vadertime

CyberDemon

« Reply #53 on: 2003-04-17, 02:16 »

Cthon would be okay because he's stationary. The only problem would be if his head stuck in a ceiling or if he beamed in too close to a wall and got stuck to it. Also Cthon had to be shocked with a special shocker built into the map, so he might be indestructible.
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #54 on: 2003-04-19, 07:33 »

I don't think that would be a problem. I'm sure it's pretty easy to code spawn points so only certain monsters can spawn there. In that case only spawn points in areas wide enough to accomodate would spawn large monsters.
Vadertime

CyberDemon

« Reply #55 on: 2003-04-22, 23:12 »

That's good. Speaking of big monsters and wide maps, generations could probably use some all new theme oriented maps, rather than all remixes. What might be a good idea is to mix and match pieces of existing maps into huge, complex new labyrinths. Imagine Azure Agony from quake1 episode4 mixed with the Torture Chambers from quake2 and the Underhalls from DOOM2.
Vadertime

CyberDemon

« Reply #56 on: 2003-04-24, 23:24 »

Another good map idea might be one built on the concept of having as many high towers and tall buildings as possible. Some of the buildings could be connected with catwalks and suspension bridges, some on different floors. Maybe even some slime or lava pits all the way at the bottom would help. Even if I had a working map builder I think some of this might be over my head. B)
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #57 on: 2003-04-24, 23:56 »

I've always enjoyed vertical maps... Tokays Tower, The Edge, Vertical Vengeance, etc Slipgate - Laugh
Daedalus

CyberDemon

« Reply #58 on: 2003-04-25, 11:50 »

Quote from: dev/null
When I think BIG monsters, I think Chthon Slipgate - Tongue
I think of the last boss from Duke Nukem 3D Slipgate - Tongue
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #59 on: 2003-04-25, 15:08 »

I think that big baby from half-life . Fainting
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7
  Print