2024-04-27, 11:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
  Print  
Author Topic: What Maps do you want to see in Gen?  (Read 49361 times)
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #60 on: 2003-04-26, 04:09 »

Quote from: Daedalus
I think of the last boss from Duke Nukem 3D Slipgate - Tongue
I don't think I ever took the time to get pass the level with the shrinking machine  <_<
« Last Edit: 2003-04-26, 04:11 by dev/null » Logged
Hollowpoint

Shambler

« Reply #61 on: 2003-04-26, 08:27 »

Inner Sanctum KatDM3 for an Earth class map...  I probably mentioned this one back in January... can't remember  havent played it since then either  but  I saw it was on LVL.... anyway
that is all for now. ;-)

Gnam

Makron

« Reply #62 on: 2003-04-28, 02:20 »

I think we need Doom maps the most, followed by Wolfenstein and then Q2. We have almost all the Q1 DM maps at this point, but only 3 Q2  maps and only a couple Dooms and Wolfs.

I think one of the challenges Gen mappers will face is making the Earth/Wolf maps interesting. Even though we need more Wolf maps right now, personally, I'dd rather see more Q2 and Doom maps more just because the idea of maps that take place in the normal world doesn't seem too exciting. The one earth map we have so far (I forget the name now) is well done, but it doesn't seem to fit in with all the other maps and I'm not really motivated to play it. Also, of course, since the maping capabilities of the Wolf engine were pretty limited back then, there can't be too many remakes of the original maps, cause they're going to all look and feel pretty much the same. Sure, one or two dark, dank, Nazi prison levels will work, but after that it's going to get stale. The ration of themed-to-remake maps will probably be pretty high for the Wolf maps.

If we're going to have Earth maps, they can't just be your run of the mill WW2 maps that make some fool walk into your room and go "ooh, are you playing Medal of Honor?" They still have to be dark, strange, and unique. Rather than having a scenic european village with a couple holes blown in the walls, we need a scene of total chaos with the village engulfed in flames, smoky, dark skies, things exploding, burnt shit everywhere, etc. I also think typical, commonly recognized WW2 settings like occupied vilages and trenches should be avoided in an of themselves as much as possible. When I first saw Wolf 3D, I didn't know it was a WW2 game, all I knew was you were stuck in some kind of dark dungeon with rabid dogs and evil men with guns chasing you. Wolf wasn't a WW2 game, it was more like a survival/horror/action game which happened to have a WW2 setting.

At the same time, we don't want a bunch of typical Quake maps labeled as Wolfenstein maps either. I think with the Earth class maps there's the opportunity to have stuff like larger outdoor arenas with grass and trees, seperate distinct buildings, a generally more coherent setting, and other stuff which is more common of other games but are omited from Quake because of the environment, and still make the maps uniquely Quake.
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #63 on: 2003-04-28, 18:49 »

icould make a wolf map.
nice flat. right corners and no water or ladders to concern about . everething I need Slipgate - Laugh
Lunatic Guy

« Reply #64 on: 2003-04-29, 04:04 »

I would really like to see space-based Wolf, Doom, Quake and Quake 2 maps... that are based on space levels...
Lunatic Guy

« Reply #65 on: 2003-04-29, 04:06 »

games keeper: Do some remakes of Wolf3D maps from their original levels... like that one map of episode 3 last boss (Hitler's) map... it's mostly squares but nice...
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #66 on: 2003-04-29, 14:36 »

Devlar's remake of e1m1 from Wolfenstein 3D was pretty nice. I think it could have been a lot of fun with some work.

Anyways, you don't have to use squares and such. I'm doing Hans' level and it has benefited greatly from the use of curves and abnormal effects Slipgate - Smile
Vorlonesque

Team Member
Pain Elemental

« Reply #67 on: 2003-04-29, 23:09 »

I personally want to see all the Q2 DM maps and some CTF maps the most (a lot of Q2DM's I would really love to see in GenArena).  After that I'd love to some of the DOOM maps remixed or whatever.  Maybe even a Heretic1 map or two Slipgate - Wink.
Vadertime

CyberDemon

« Reply #68 on: 2003-04-29, 23:30 »

Remixes are good, but new maps with them would be even better. For people that like vertical maps snott a problem would be good. Imagine snott a problem from earth worm jim redone for quake3. The difference would be bounce pads instead of bungee cords and lava or slime instead of water with a space monster in it. Basiclly a deep canyon with liquid at the bottom and maybe a few caves in the cliff faces. When I think of BIG monsters I think of the boss of Serious Sam the first encounter, so big even Sam is impressed and says "you're a biggun aint'chya?" The help screens claim it's 300 feet tall.
Lunatic Guy

« Reply #69 on: 2003-04-30, 02:47 »

dev/null: Does the Hans map has those parallel metal pillars? If yes, you could add those hanging corpses on them.   Slipgate - Smile

Devlar made a Wolf3D map for Gen??

So people, is there really going to be a Wolf3D/Doom/Quake/Quake2  space-based maps??   Slipgate - Laugh
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #70 on: 2003-05-01, 22:51 »

I think for the most part  Wolf/Doom/Q1/Q2 space maps would be an oxymoron, atleast unless you thought of a good concept behind it. I could see a Doom space map taking place in a sort of dream-like hellish void (like someone mentioned earlier) but for the most part space maps are an environment unique to Q3 and making one for a different class would be the same as making a Slipgate map for Wolfenstein or something.

By the way, you could do a cool crossover map for Doom; Hell on Earth; an Earth city invaded by Doom monsters. It would work as a Earth and Doom map. I think it would only register as a being invaded by Doom monsters if you left some monster carcases lieing around, which probably would not be possible till resurgence was done.
Lunatic Guy

« Reply #71 on: 2003-05-02, 02:31 »

Of course I have ideas and concepts... but I don't know mappings...
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #72 on: 2003-05-02, 17:59 »

Maping isn't that hard, it's just time consuming. I taught myself how to make Unreal maps over a weekend. I haven't tried making Quake maps yet, but it can't be all that different. If you think you have good ideas you should take a stab at it. Granted, even once you know the technical side to actually constructing the map, creating the map is still a learning process, complexifying your designs and ironing out every detail, but its just a matter of time. Using map editors is not that hard, it's just a matter of having a good concept for a map and taking the time and effort to execute it.
Vadertime

CyberDemon

« Reply #73 on: 2003-05-13, 00:44 »

How about a sky map?? Several buildings suspended up in clouds with sky in all directions. More or less a space map with a sky instead of a void. I think making decent looking clouds would be the hardest part. I'd make it myself but I don't have an editor and my computer downloads sooooo sslllloooooooooowwwwwwwwwwww. Hail
Lunatic Guy

« Reply #74 on: 2003-05-13, 11:03 »

Vadertime: When you said sky maps and its description... it reminds me a map of UT 2003...
Lunatic Guy

« Reply #75 on: 2003-05-14, 04:39 »

Check out Tiki Domain's site for maps... they really have some nice maps to be checked out actually...
Vadertime

CyberDemon

« Reply #76 on: 2003-05-17, 08:23 »

I'm still a bit low tech to see UT 2003 here, so what was that map like? Also, I'd like to see a "rooftop" map. One where every roof can be walked on and many of them close enough to jump from building to building.
duggera

« Reply #77 on: 2003-05-18, 18:57 »

I really like the Q2DM maps in Gen...I'm one of the few people who liked Q2 over the rest...

I think the QuakeCon map that Polecat made would be good for Gen...heh...provided you made a few modifications to keep it framerate friendly, and make a few cosmetic enhancements (like a daytime sky, etc)
Lunatic Guy

« Reply #78 on: 2003-05-19, 02:33 »

Vadertime: I forgot the exact name of the map. But the building are so tall, that you can actually see lots of stars in the space, and when you look below, these tall buildings are like, standing above the earth. And it has of course gravity issues.   Slipgate - Laugh

Why not make a map, and it's only a round/box map, very small map, just enough for one-on-one, and the whole place place looks like, the place in "Gladiator" movie, where the players only fight to the death in one same place. But you could make it look like a space map, or maybe just another land map.
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #79 on: 2003-05-19, 03:00 »

Hey Lunatic Guy and Vadertime, not that these ideas are at all bad, but you've kinda abandoned the Generations part of it all. None of these are related to Gen in any way.  Doom - Huh?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
  Print  

Jump to: