2024-04-27, 07:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
  Print  
Author Topic: What Maps do you want to see in Gen?  (Read 49339 times)
Lunatic Guy

« Reply #80 on: 2003-05-22, 04:37 »

Yeah, I understand. But these ideas just came out from my mind, that's why I'm posting them here.  Slipgate - Tongue

By the way, that's a nice Doom avatar you had. Is that your skin?
Vadertime

CyberDemon

« Reply #81 on: 2003-05-22, 09:49 »

Alright then, somehow one of us should try to come up with a mars colony like the Phobos and Deimos bases in Doom, but a lot more convincing so that it looks like a space colony and doesn't jump back and fourth from NASA looking stuff to candalabras and stonewalls. That was one thing that seemed so stupid about doom. Why would a Mars moonbase have castle stuff and strange artwork in the middle of it? If the demons could supposedly alter things to suit them, why didn't the whole map look like some devil castle from one end to the other? It appeared like the id guys couldn't agree on what game they were making. Also, keeping with the story, no devils showed up on mars to screw it up.
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #82 on: 2003-05-22, 22:42 »

Hmm well...i whould love to do a space station / mars colony and i've actually started two layouts but none of them really works, i guess i might go back to the drawing board and give it another try.
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #83 on: 2003-05-22, 23:58 »

I'd really like to see The Gloom Keep (Hint, Hint ReBoOt)  Slipgate - Wink
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #84 on: 2003-05-23, 01:31 »

By the way, that's a nice Doom avatar you had. Is that your skin?
Thanks. Yeah, I was trying out making skins for the first time a couple weeks ago. They were mostly edit/re-colors of Paranoid's Veteran skin, but I changed the helmet color back to gray, and did several different skins. The suit colors were all as close to the original Doom as possible, with the default green, then I did a zombie-man beige and a shotgun guy black. I then did "mega-armor" blue and a red skin I aptly named "phoenix". I'm not extremely proud of them since they're not completely my work, but I think they look good and do a good job recreating the original Doom graphics. I'm also plan on doing blood stained versions of the beige and black to recreate the true zombie skins, and when I have time I'm going to try skining Grunt heads as Zombieman, Shotgunguy, and helmet-less Doom heads that you can use with the /headmodel command.

Vadertime, have you played Coriolis Storm? If you haven't check it here: http://planetquake.com/lvl/comments.asp?id=243 It's an abandoned base in the middle of some martian wasteland, it's very similar to the idea you were just talking about.

As for the original Doom maps, I LIKED the transition from space station to hell. I think the idea was that as the demons invade, the bases are slowly tranformed into images of hell. The point is it's a gradualy process, starting from the center of their invasion out, so while the surface of the base still looks like a space station, as you go down to the depths it becomes more and more gothic and hellish. It should be interesting to see how this transition is handled in the new Doom. In my opinion the transition and melding of space and hell was what made the environements of the oringinal Doom unique, and if the new Doom is all nothing but wandering abandoned space station halls shooting zombies, it'll get boring. It going to be really challenging for the creators to create a complete, fully fleshed out hell environment in such a realistic, life-like engine, while still keeping things as out-of-this-world as they should be.
Vadertime

CyberDemon

« Reply #85 on: 2003-05-23, 08:04 »

Yeah it was unique all right. The idea makes enough sense, but in the orignal game it was choppy and spliced up. It didn't seem to follow a logical pattern like what you just described, it seemed more random and patchwork. I haven't seen the map you're reffering to so I'll take a look. If the moonbase-space colony theme is already that common then somebody needs to make another Generations map, like the one in mappack 1 that has portions styled for each generation. If I remeber right though, the different sections weren't all very big. This time it needs to have a large, distinct section for each style. I've already got a few ideas, but not the whole thing. For Doom's portion you could have a place like a Roman public bath (as seen on Spartacus) except all statues, busts, and art would be demon art straight from doom and the large pool and fountains would need blood instead of water. Also with a red sky and possibly some active lava flows outside( lots of lava blobs here). For Arena class, a different part of the map could be a computer room, dimly lit except for lots of small colored lights and the computer screens. For the Strogg portion all I can think of is some sort of ductwork and assorted pipes. Lots of places for climbing, jumping, and falling. For Slipgaters, I'm thinking a large maze of hallways with vaulted ceilings and windows with bars. Also an upper level with grills in the floor. I'm not sure what you'd have for the Wolfenstein part. Maybe the basement for the whole thing. What does it take to make skins? I've been wanting to make some fairly simple ones. I've been thinking of taking some of the models and just making them a different color, like taking the red sorlag and making a green one. How would I do that?
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #86 on: 2003-05-23, 08:18 »

dev/null: The gloom keep is almost finished, but i wont make it "public" until gen 99c is released.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #87 on: 2003-05-23, 10:54 »

On the note of those headmodels you were talking about Gnam, a long time ago, I cooked this up:

A shotgun zombie's head for grunt's ugly nogg. I think I also made some brushstrokes & got started on the normal zombie's head for sarge, but gave up, since sarge's head has a total of 4 polygons. Before I could get to modelling my own, other Gen projects beckoned.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Lunatic Guy

« Reply #88 on: 2003-05-23, 11:33 »

I thought. I thought I had a heart attack when I saw your skin, Tab.
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #89 on: 2003-05-23, 23:32 »

Interesting skin Tab. It's hard coming up with features that make a distinctive shotgun guy head, since in Doom his head was like flesh-tone 8 pixels with 2 red dots for eyes and some red pixels for a mouth. BTW, I was thinking, if you're just making a head skin, do you have to make a dummy body skin for the whole thing to work? Or can you just have a head tga and a head skin in the pk3 and use the headmodel command?

Yeah, I was thinking for the zombieman head, even though he has a crewcut like sarge, it wasn't worth it cause his head's too small. I was figuring I'd just do the hair like the pointman and nightops Q2 skins (a CLOSE buzz).

Oh yeah, and one more skin/model question... is it possible to code a skin file so it uses a different headmodel?
« Last Edit: 2003-05-23, 23:36 by Gnam » Logged
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #90 on: 2003-05-24, 00:18 »

I'm not sure if the headmodel would work without a dummy .skin / & models to back it up. I'd be surprised if it would, though.

Since it's just a matter of renaming model files, building your own skin file to use a different head/body should work just fine. You might need to copy redundant data though - I haven't tested this myself.

About the facial features - It's hard indeed, just like it's been for the weapons and items. Nearly every model I've skinned for Gen was based on anywhere between 12 and 64 pixels ;]
Just tried to translated colours to more realistic values and get the feel right.. guess my imagination comes in handy sometimes ;]
« Last Edit: 2003-05-24, 00:20 by Tabun » Logged

Vadertime

CyberDemon

« Reply #91 on: 2003-05-26, 06:09 »

I assume there's plenty of good skin creation tutorials all over the web already right? Where can I find a good one and what files do I need to make skins? AND did the map drawings I sent give anybody any ideas or did they just get in the way like other spam????????????
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #92 on: 2003-05-26, 07:59 »

There's lots of skin tutorials out there, yes. They range from technical Q3A (or any other game) related tutorials, such as how the .skin file system works, to pure painting tips and techniques. It's very hard to point you to a specific tutorial, since I didn't really use any myself - I got tips from Acryl in the start (he was already pretty damn good back then) and sort of self-educated myself afterwards. I've found it's a great help knowing the tools and their full stretch of functions (depending on the imaging software you use).

Done a few myself, too, but  they're pretty old.. so be your own judge

Vadertime

CyberDemon

« Reply #93 on: 2003-05-27, 05:07 »

Is anyone here a fan of The Vaults of Zin from Quake1 episode3? That should be a good map to remake and expand on. I looked at your page, Tabun. I couldn't find the old skins but I'll look again. I'll try to get started skinning things soon. Don't expect any earthquakes for awhile though.
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #94 on: 2003-05-27, 21:38 »

hmm, well i might check it out, depends tho if it interessting to remake, what's the file name of The Vaults of Zin?
Vadertime

CyberDemon

« Reply #95 on: 2003-05-28, 07:46 »

I'm not sure what the file name is, but it's in episode 3 of the first Quake, maybe level2. I know you start the episode in Termination Central and go through a slipgate. I think the Vaults of Zin is the very next map but I'm not sure. It's the one where you see a silver key on top of a trapdoor. I saw Tabun's old skins. Recon for Grunt was especially good. I found it very funny because he looked sort of hung over. Slipgate - Laugh
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #96 on: 2003-05-28, 09:00 »

I was referring to my tutorials - kind of strange that you couldn't find them, as they are in the tutorials section... :]
Don't ask me why I put them there - it seemed like a good idea at the time.. Slipgate - Tongue
« Last Edit: 2003-05-28, 09:01 by Tabun » Logged

ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #97 on: 2003-05-28, 12:42 »

Okay then the map name is e3m2 i'll take a look at it tonight.
btw i've already done the basic layout for e3m1 -The termination central.
Now this is supposed to be a future resurgence map but if ya really want i can make a FFA version of it, tho i dont know how well it whould work as an FFA map.
So it's up to you ppls here to decide.
Lunatic Guy

« Reply #98 on: 2003-05-29, 11:53 »

e3m1 -The termination central?

The one where the players choose which episode to play by stepping on those portal things?
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #99 on: 2003-05-29, 22:59 »

Lunatic guy: nah you mean the "start" map, e3m1 is the first map at the 3rd episode.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
  Print  

Jump to: