2024-09-29, 00:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 ... 24
  Print  
Author Topic: What's coming up for 99e (skinwise)  (Read 187553 times)
death_stalker

Makron

« Reply #260 on: 2004-05-04, 13:50 »

Nice!I love the new Doom armor <3 Would it be too much to ask if there's plans to add UAC somewhere on it?Maybe on one of the pecs?Other then that Thumbs up!

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #261 on: 2004-05-05, 01:57 »

The UAC logo should suffice for now. Those who do not recognize it, aren't worth having a fuss about anyway ;]

Another skin is done.
http://www.planetquake.com/tabun/img/skin/...hand2_shots.jpg
Compare with the old skin, to get an idea of the improvement made:
http://www.planetquake.com/tabun/img/skin/...mhand_shots.jpg

Here's a detail shot, just to give you an idea of what pains I had to go through to handpaint the greater part of it:

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #262 on: 2004-05-05, 03:31 »

Very good.  Now we just need the glove. Slipgate - Smile

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #263 on: 2004-05-05, 04:12 »

*whistles* That's a lot of detail O.o

Very nice Slipgate - Laugh

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #264 on: 2004-05-05, 11:10 »

Is that based on a scan of a real hand?
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #265 on: 2004-05-05, 11:44 »

No. Like the text above the little piccie shows, it's hand painted. I never base my skins on scans really - too hard to control the lighting. Secondly, finding someone with the right kind of hand texture is harder than it looks, especially when you don't want a 40 year old bum messing up your scanner's glass plate. Furthermore, it's pretty damned hard to get your skin folded open like that, without it hurting like hell Slipgate - Wink - Finally, it's good practice to paint everything, and not resort to photomanip. imo.
I used my unwitting dad's hand for some exaggerated-wrinkles studies and colour patterns. Other than that, I used only my own hand and imagination for refererence.

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #266 on: 2004-05-05, 15:03 »

99e is going to be really good. We'll be so busy watching the weapons etc, we'll all fall in the lava. Slipgate - Distraught

Incidentley, I once knew someone who tried to scan sandpaper to make a texture! Apart from the damage, it was just too reflective.
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #267 on: 2004-05-05, 19:40 »

Quote from: Phoenix
Who knows, maybe a rework is in order down the line?  Doom Unleashed for Q3A? Slipgate - Smile
*slurp*

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #268 on: 2004-05-06, 22:24 »

Progressing nicely.

I'm still tweaking it, mainly the wings. Shape and skin need some adjusting, but this is the general jest.
« Last Edit: 2004-05-07, 12:43 by Tabun » Logged

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #269 on: 2004-05-07, 00:24 »

Very, very nice.  Thumbs up!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #270 on: 2004-05-07, 15:26 »

*we are not perfectionists, we are not Q2E, we are shall assimilate*
« Last Edit: 2004-05-07, 17:21 by Tekhead » Logged
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #271 on: 2004-05-07, 15:36 »

I can't say I like the original wing shape on that model. It's obviously hindered by both a low polycount and a failure to match the shape of the model to the shape of wall-texture decoration, but it still could've been better.
I'm happy with the general shape of my version. It is balanced and looks Stroggish.

Tekhead: you have already told me about the way you didn't like the wings, so stop repeating that :]
We are not Q2E, so before anyone brings up something about either precise shapes or missing bottom jaws or anything: Stop. Re-think. Sit. Calm. Proceed normal life.

I'm going to start a topic about proper critiqueing in the off-topic board soon. It is, apparantly, an acquired skill. Much like golf, but without the balls.

o'dium

Spectre

« Reply #272 on: 2004-05-07, 18:36 »

Hey, its missing the bottom jaw! And whats with the wing shape?  Slipgate - Laugh
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #273 on: 2004-05-08, 01:13 »

Looks awesome, man Thumbs up!

But I still think it would look better without the wings... heh heh

Naw, jus' kidding... but I DO love the skull... omg...

HeadBanging

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #274 on: 2004-05-08, 02:33 »

Looks fine to me.

And can someone let me know what all the stuff with Q2E is recently? I keep running across references to it on the boards and in IRC. Are they copying us? Or do people think we're copying them? Am I just confused?

I'm so lost...

(feel free to split this if it goes too far offtopic)
Dicion

Team Member
Makron

« Reply #275 on: 2004-05-08, 10:07 »

No No, no copying Slipgate - Smile
O'dium, the leader of team blur ( www.planetquake.com/blur ) Is part of the Q2E project (Quake 2 Evolved). Basically theyre re-doing all the models, textures, etc etc in quake2 to be totally high-poly badass stuff on par with current games, to work with the new Q2 Engines out there. O'dium apparently likes Tabun's work, and uses it as examples to his team sometimes on how stuff should look, or other things. Even though Tabun's work is all low-poly, he makes it look good for how low-poly it is.
o'dium

Spectre

« Reply #276 on: 2004-05-08, 10:49 »

*Read above*

We would never just take your work. We have had that with a few people, and to be honest the feeling sucks. I also know you guys have been through quite a bit.

Also, it would take some work to get your models working in VQ2 anyways, due to scale size and position, plus we need animations etc etc, so there wouldn't be much point.

We simply use Tabuns work as a half way point. You have some nice looking stuff, we aim for that level of quality if not better. Thats why i keep remaking my stuff all the time :p I think the next "remakes" of "remakes" are the stimpack and the Adrenaline, my skins on that are old, and suck. They look like pixelated mess, lol. But it "IS" obvious to see where I got my ideas for the health though:

But we "DO" make our own models/skins:

So, to anybody that doesn't know us or our work, then please feel free to check up on us if you think somebody is using Gens work. I'll be happy enough to tell them to stop it or leave. Dont worry, we arn't about to rip you guys off Slipgate - Wink
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #277 on: 2004-05-08, 12:21 »

Heh, I explained the entire story in this same thread, a few pages back :]
Ofcourse, this is one of those threads that you can get lost in, and not find a way out for days..

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #278 on: 2004-05-09, 17:48 »

And just another little thingy Strogg Flight, shader off -> shader on shots. Should glow ominously ingame.

Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #279 on: 2004-05-09, 19:20 »

Thumbs up!  Thumbs up!

Not quite stroggish, but definitely 100% Generations! I like it!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 ... 24
  Print  

Jump to: